Archived Topic

Bowl Matchup - Should Get An Interesting One

by Cougarbib · 10/21/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Y not U. Unless Y gets a rematch with U. That would create interest for both although U has less incentive to want to risk that match-up. They have head-to-head bragging locked up until 2016 season. They would hate to lose that. We would risk 0-5. But, hey, we risk that in 2016 anyway. Our chances would be decent now.



But more likely, experts are predicting that PAC will serve up USC or OSU. Not sure I agree. They are winning again. But that could leave ASU, AZ, UW, WSU, or U. PAC has a bit of parity.



I think a Mid Pac opponent, while always dangerous, is more exciting than even SDSU and definitely more so than UTEP was.



Part of me would like a walkover - for momentum going into 2014, but I think we are going to get an opponent that will bring a close game. Or kill us if TH goes down.



Projections for U are for Wyoming or someone like that or to not get a Bowl Game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
KFH Bowl gets the sixth pick (7th if Oregon gets a bid to the championship game).



It'll go like this assuming Oregon makes the championship game (shift down a slot if O loses a game):



Rose: Stanford/UCLA/ASU

Alamo: UCLA/ASU/Stanford

Holiday: UCLA/ASU/Stanford

Sun: UW/USC

Las Vegas: UW/USC

KFH:OSU/UU/UA/WSU

NM: OSU/UU/UA/WSU



Best case scenario is UW or USC with an oregon loss. If not I'd love to see BYU beat Utah. Also I don't think CUSA, American conferences and Big 12 will make their quotas so you could see a PAC team in the Pinstripe, Beff O'Brady or New Orleans Bowl.



Also, It'll be WSU-UU for the last spot from the PAC assuming UU can win their rivalry game.
M
Mars


1- I don't believe that the PAC-12 does bowls by slot. I think that they choose which bowl to send which team to.



2- If the Kraft bowl in San Francisco cannot have Stanford, UCLA, or Cal, I'd be surprised if they don't find a way to get USC. Though Utah would make a decent 2nd option.



3- You'd think that Las Vegas would love to get Arizona State, or even Arizona.



4- That leaves Utah to the New Mexico bowl (again). If they get in ahead of Arizona/Washington State. BYU's bowls have been better as an Indy than that!
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:


1- I don't believe that the PAC-12 does bowls by slot. I think that they choose which bowl to send which team to.


Correct. They have a selection order where the first bowl picks whatever PAC12 eligible team they want regardless of standings, and then they move on down until the last bowl is left with the homely girl in the strapless number and backne.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
Correct. They have a selection order where the first bowl picks whatever PAC12 eligible team they want regardless of standings, and then they move on down until the last bowl is left with the homely girl in the strapless number and backne.

This is stated better than what I said. But yes, the PAC-12 basically does the old MWC-style bowl selections in their minor bowls (where TCU could finish ahead of BYU in conference play and BYU could still be invited to the Las Vegas bowl).
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
Mars wrote:
Correct. They have a selection order where the first bowl picks whatever PAC12 eligible team they want regardless of standings, and then they move on down until the last bowl is left with the homely girl in the strapless number and backne.

This is stated better than what I said. But yes, the PAC-12 basically does the old MWC-style bowl selections in their minor bowls (where TCU could finish ahead of BYU in conference play and BYU could still be invited to the Las Vegas bowl).


Correct but bowls still prefer teams with a lot of wins. The Arizona and California schools don't travel well. Unless ASU has a great record I'd expect them to drop pretty far (Holiday or Sun are both close). Although the Alamo bowl surpised a couple years ago and took 8-4 UA in which it was estimated <2500 UA fans showed up. UW, OSU, O and WSU fans on the other hand want to get out of the rotten places they've chosen to live and so travel a lot better.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.