Archived Topic

New Center commit

by craigoscarson · 10/20/2013

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1284327/highlights/34349385



Short but nasty and looks very very strong and very fast. Could play DT if he can't put on another 20 lbs. Extremely athletic



http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1284327/highlights/34349385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M
mizzoucoug
That boy could own his own IHOP.
S
scott715
Sheiku Koroma was the kid.
B
BYULV
That kid takes down more opposing players than some defenses.
C
Cougs_Rule
And he holds his blocks for more than 2seconds! Nasty. Hope he's tall enough.

Is This the recruit that 2J recently tweeted excitement about?
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
I don't care how tall he is that kid looks awesome. It reminds me of the scene from the blindside when he bull rushes the defender all the way off of the field.
G
Guest
Sete Aulai wasn't very tall either, and he may be the best center we've had since he played.
C
Cougarfan87
My analysis:



-This guy is nasty!

-He blocks until the whistle, and sometimes after. He clearly blocks well beyond the play being over--which may draw a few penalties, but I would rather have over-aggression than under-aggresion

-He is extremely quick off the snap--almost moving to block at the same time the snap is released (may lead to some false starts, but well worth the risk to get into blocking quickly)

-He does not finish blocking until he has bent the person backwards and is laying on top of them

-I staw him successfully stand up two defenders at once

-I saw more than one linebacker shy away from him when he came to block them on a running play

-More than once he put his DL on the ground and was able to make a nice cut block on the second level as well

-He does not seem very fast so you would not use him to pull or anything, but he has good quickness

-He has great power and gets lower than the defender on his blocks



In short, it would be very demoralizing to play against this dude. More than once, I saw a defender shove him after the play was over because they did not like the energy with which he blocked them. Nasty dude, and I would be excited to see what he does in Cougar blue. :evil: :evil: :evil:
S
stgeorgefan
looking at the list of schollies available; does this commit mean that they don' think Mama will sign?



Once I saw Bushman get an offer I saw it as insurance if Tyler Luatua didn't sign.



Maybe this is a similar deal.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I also saw things that will be called as holding penalties in D1 foorball. But that can all be cleaned up. He is a bull.



BYU should always be able to find a schollie for a critical need or 2 if they are willing to do some house cleaning.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
nuk13
I wouldn't care if he was 5'10". He'd be incredible as a Greco Roman wrestler the way he was throwing guys. Maybe that'll have to change a little. Whatever the other teams colors were green was added to the pants and backs of the guys he blocked.



Mike Webster the old Pittsburgh Steeler center was only 6 foot. He won some strong man contests as well as being all pro.
C
Cougs_Rule
Ok, height doesn't seem to be an issue. Check

Speed? Someone thought he didn't look fast? He looked faster than most of our current Oline. On that cut block, he got down vey fast.
M
mizzoucoug
Man, if we get a legit Oline we could be a top 10 team next season...
W
Wolverine
This guy looks legit on tape. A definite piledriver. Every video is like..."I said sit down, and STAY DOWN!" The Cougs could use more of that kind of attitude along the O-Line.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Ok, height doesn't seem to be an issue. Check

Speed? Someone thought he didn't look fast? He looked faster than most of our current Oline. On that cut block, he got down vey fast.


I don't think he has very good foot speed, but I think he is really quick--meaning he gets off the ball and moves his body well, just doesn't run very fast. His foot speed is probably similar to the guys we have now, but his nastiness and agression would be welcome improvements. Like I said, not someone you would want to turn into a pulling guard--he looked pretty slow on the one pulling play they showed on the highlight, but definately a great pass blocker and run blocker who knows how to finish plays. He will definitely get some holding calls, false starts, and probably some unecessary roughness calls for playing after the whistle, but those things you can work on. I like how he leverages himself for the blocks and never gets pushed out of his place.
G
Gunk
That was awesome watching him just barrel over his opponents. Like the nastiness.
J
jonnylingo
wasn't he all state first teamer? how are you a texas all stater and just a two star recruit? he needs to add some weight but his film looks great. hopefully he is the anti tushuas.
C
craigoscarson
Tushaus did not have a mean streak or the kind of strength this kid has, yet he still became a starter. I like him and if he doesn't pan out at center, he can certainly play into the NT rotation. For a center, I think he's actually fairly fast but as a center, he doesn't need to be. (not hardly big enough to play guard... ever)... but the kind of nastiness and leverage he plays with... he certainly deserves a scholarship.. all American material? not sure... scholarship material in an offense that rotates their linemen? yep
C
craigoscarson
stgeorgefan wrote:
Byu is also after his teammate Tejan Koroma.

http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=7130597


Pretty sure that's him. I have no idea what his actual name is, but on TBS it appears that's the kid you just named. I purposely didn't write his name on this thread because I don't know what his real 1st name is because of the confusion.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.