Archived Topic

Where to go Bowling?

by hawkwing · 12/1/2009

Advertisement
G
Guest
Most likely the Las Vegas Bowl, but where would you want to go?
S
snoscythe
The money doesn't matter--any extra money left over after covering expenses goes to the conference and gets divvied up among the schools.



So, I pick the first SD option. That choice might change after Saturday when the PAC-10 standings sort out, but without knowing any opponents, San Diego and the beaches is the place for me.
G
gmj81
Not only is the money more in Vegas, but it's a guaranteed better opponent too. I wouldn't even mind playing 'Zona again just for paybacks but I would prefer to play OSU or USC in the Vegas Bowl.
L
Lawboy
I go wherever the better match up is. If it is he LV Bowl, you do it. BYU has played a ranked team only 1 time in the LV Bowl and would be guaranteed one this year, and not in the Poinsettia Bowl. Play the ranked team, beat the ranked team, and go out in style like John Beck did.
B
byutx
E. Las Vegas: good chance of playing a ranked Pac-10 team, possibly USC
Advertisement
C
cougarsunited
byutx wrote:
E. Las Vegas: good chance of playing a ranked Pac-10 team, possibly USC


Even if USC isn't ranked, they would be a great opponent and give us the visibility we hope to get from a bowl game.
M
mormonrasta
byutx wrote:
E. Las Vegas: good chance of playing a ranked Pac-10 team, possibly USC


There is very little chance of playing a ranked USC. If USC is in the Vegas bowl that means they lost to Arizona and Cal lost to UW. USC would almost certainly drop out of the rankings with a loss to Arizona.
M
mormonrasta
I voted Vegas. I think USC beats Arizona and I do not want a BYU-Arizona rematch in the Poinsettia Bowl.
B
BYUROCKS
snoscythe wrote:
The money doesn't matter--any extra money left over after covering expenses goes to the conference and gets divvied up among the schools.



So, I pick the first SD option. That choice might change after Saturday when the PAC-10 standings sort out, but without knowing any opponents, San Diego and the beaches is the place for me.


The money does matter, if I remember right, BYU's AD, Tom Holmoe said something along the lines of, they don't make that much money off the LV Bowl, they spend most of it on expenses, so I think the 500K is needed.



That said, I still want a change of venue, I would love to play USC tho, either at Vegas, or SD.
U
UVACoug
I want Vegas for the money, the match up, and for the fact that I think we need to build the LV Bowl into a respectable bowl, since the MWC is unlikely to go get us anything else. With that said, I hate Las Vegas as a city. I'm sure it is not bad living in the suburbs, but the strip doesn't do anything for me. I like the setting of San Diego much better.



Another thing, giving the LV Bowl to the Yewts would mean they play a ranked team while we end up playing a 6th place Arizona or Cal. That would suck.
Advertisement
S
Short_Change
UVACoug wrote:
I want Vegas for the money, the match up, and for the fact that I think we need to build the LV Bowl into a respectable bowl, since the MWC is unlikely to go get us anything else. With that said, I hate Las Vegas as a city. I'm sure it is not bad living in the suburbs, but the strip doesn't do anything for me. I like the setting of San Diego much better.



Another thing, giving the LV Bowl to the Yewts would mean they play a ranked team while we end up playing a 6th place Arizona or Cal. That would suck.


Either way we're playing Arizona or Cal.
U
UVACoug
Short_Change wrote:
I want Vegas for the money, the match up, and for the fact that I think we need to build the LV Bowl into a respectable bowl, since the MWC is unlikely to go get us anything else. With that said, I hate Las Vegas as a city. I'm sure it is not bad living in the suburbs, but the strip doesn't do anything for me. I like the setting of San Diego much better.



Another thing, giving the LV Bowl to the Yewts would mean they play a ranked team while we end up playing a 6th place Arizona or Cal. That would suck.


Either way we're playing Arizona or Cal.


Could very well be Oregon State. In any case, if it is Arizona or Cal in the Las Vegas Bowl, they will have won their last game and will be ranked. Very unlikely that match-up in San Diego is against a ranked team.
S
Schmoe
I don't care, let's just get that win #11 and finish in the top ten!
C
CougarPeasant
Would love to see BYU play USC and win.



But as long as BYU wins, any bowl will do. Except for the tidy bowl. ;)
G
GolfDiveNCougs
May be splitting hairs, but keep in mind, we won't likely be playing the 5th or 6th "best" team. In fact, there are 2 of the remaining 8 possibilities for the final Pac-10 standings that will be sending a team to Vegas that's tied for SECOND, and another 2 of the eight possibilities tied for third. Granted, for a 2nd or 3rd place team to fall to the 5th PICK, they'll likely be the team expected to have the lowest fan-draw, and that usually corresponds to lowest ranking of the ties, but not always. And that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't BETTER than teams going ahead of them. Good chance we'll have all we can handle, hopefully not more, no matter WHICH opponent we play.
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
I'll make the drive to Vegas. I'm not driving to San Diego. Here's hoping its Vegas.



I would really like to see a new match-up. OSU would be my first choice (of the likely teams). I'd be okay with Cal. They are still respected but I think we have the best chance of beating them over OSU or Arizona. I do not want the rematch with Arizona. This is why we need new bowl affiliations. Playing the PAC 10 in every bowl game means you play the same 3 teams all the time.
M
mormonrasta
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I'll make the drive to Vegas. I'm not driving to San Diego. Here's hoping its Vegas.



I would really like to see a new match-up. OSU would be my first choice (of the likely teams). I'd be okay with Cal. They are still respected but I think we have the best chance of beating them over OSU or Arizona. I do not want the rematch with Arizona. This is why we need new bowl affiliations. Playing the PAC 10 in every bowl game means you play the same 3 teams all the time.


2005- Cal

2006- Oregon

2007- UCLA

2008-Arizona

2009- Oregon St. (which I agree is most likely)



That's 5 different teams in 5 years despite going to the same bowl. That's not bad.
L
Lawboy
If Oregon State wins and takes the Rose Bowl, Oregon gets the Holiday Bowl. I know USC wants that bowl. If they do not get it, I think they would rather play BYU in LV than anyone else in the Sun Bowl. USC will want the better match up, guaranteed. I am pulling for OSU to beat Oregon, because it opens up more possibilities.



But if not USC, I want the highest ranked team possible, and I think that will be Stanford. I expect UW to beat Cal.
S
Schmoe
It would be fun to play Bronco's alma mater in a bowl game, I think it adds a fun, albeit small, element and storyline to the game.
S
Short_Change
mormonrasta wrote:
I'll make the drive to Vegas. I'm not driving to San Diego. Here's hoping its Vegas.



I would really like to see a new match-up. OSU would be my first choice (of the likely teams). I'd be okay with Cal. They are still respected but I think we have the best chance of beating them over OSU or Arizona. I do not want the rematch with Arizona. This is why we need new bowl affiliations. Playing the PAC 10 in every bowl game means you play the same 3 teams all the time.


2005- Cal

2006- Oregon

2007- UCLA

2008-Arizona

2009- Oregon St. (which I agree is most likely)



That's 5 different teams in 5 years despite going to the same bowl. That's not bad.


How is Oregon St. most likely? The lowest they could finish is 4th since they beat Cal and Stanford. The Vegas bowl gets the 5th ranked Pac-10 team which will most likely be Cal although there is a small possibility it could be USC or AZ.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.