Archived Topic

Key unheralded play

by IowaCougar · 10/20/2013

Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
I think there were a few plays that were absolutely key in this game that may not be remembered.



My key play is the tackle made by Sorensen at the 3-yard-line, running the Houston receiver down from behind and preventing what looked like a sure touchdown. At the time it looked like a moot point, as we all probably assumed they would end up scoring anyway. But the defense got the key sack that led to the missed field goal by Houston.



I'd like to see what the rest of you might come up with as key plays that weren't necessarily heralded.
B
BroncoBot
Hard to argue with that one. Can't think of a bigger play off the top of my head. Seemed like Houston was always having those "key plays", the ones that kept them in the game. Luck seemed to be on their side except for the first 5 minutes and the last 2.
B
BerliNY
IowaCougar wrote:
I think there were a few plays that were absolutely key in this game that may not be remembered.



My key play is the tackle made by Sorensen at the 3-yard-line, running the Houston receiver down from behind and preventing what looked like a sure touchdown. At the time it looked like a moot point, as we all probably assumed they would end up scoring anyway. But the defense got the key sack that led to the missed field goal by Houston.



I'd like to see what the rest of you might come up with as key plays that weren't necessarily heralded.


Agreed, I thought the same thing, although I would have preferred to have Fua (I think it was Fua) make the tackle at the 20 instead of go for the strip and miss the tackle.
I
IowaCougar
Actually, if I remember correctly, it was Sorensen who both went for the strip and made the tackle. But since I can't see a replay, I could be wrong.
F
frdbtr
Sorenson ran him down from behind, went for the strip but slowed him down enough for Povey to catch him and make the tackle on the 3.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
Sorenson ran him down from behind, went for the strip but slowed him down enough for Povey to catch him and make the tackle on the 3.


This - most likely, although some recalled it as fua instead of Sorensen. So either Sorensen or Fua chased him down and went for the strip, failing to tackle, but slowed him down enough for Povey to recover and make the tackle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Cougarbib wrote:
Sorenson ran him down from behind, went for the strip but slowed him down enough for Povey to catch him and make the tackle on the 3.


This - most likely, although some recalled it as fua instead of Sorensen. So either Sorensen or Fua chased him down and went for the strip, failing to tackle, but slowed him down enough for Povey to recover and make the tackle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


It was sorenson, no question, I saw the #9 and also Meikle confirmed it was sorenson on the post game show.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Sorenson ran him down from behind, went for the strip but slowed him down enough for Povey to catch him and make the tackle on the 3.


This - most likely, although some recalled it as fua instead of Sorensen. So either Sorensen or Fua chased him down and went for the strip, failing to tackle, but slowed him down enough for Povey to recover and make the tackle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


It was sorenson, no question, I saw the #9 and also Meikle confirmed it was sorenson on the post game show.


Agree. Key point relative to OP, however, Povey made the actual tackle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
IowaCougar
frdbtr wrote:
Sorenson ran him down from behind, went for the strip but slowed him down enough for Povey to catch him and make the tackle on the 3.

I checked out the replay on ESPN.com and this is correct. Although I don't blame Sorensen for going for the strip at that point on the field. He showed serious speed.
C
Cougarbib
IowaCougar wrote:
Sorenson ran him down from behind, went for the strip but slowed him down enough for Povey to catch him and make the tackle on the 3.

I checked out the replay on ESPN.com and this is correct. Although I don't blame Sorensen for going for the strip at that point on the field. He showed serious speed.


Sorensen, Hill, Fua, and others have shown speed at their positions seldom seen at BYU. Overall team speed has to be one of our fastest teams ever. Williams ain't no tortoise, either.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
Two plays I think key for UH were the two missed sacks by KVN. That doesn't happen to KVN very often let along in the same game. Things just seemed to be falling in place for UH throughout the game and the homer refs were not helping. My big gripe was the "confrimed" call on the fumble non-recovery. It was clearly a recovery but if they felt they could not tell if he was juggling the ball then okay and the play "stands" but to say it was confirmed seemed pretty bad to me.
B
BOID
Agreed. The replay showed two hands firmly clasping the ball. There was clearly no bobbling or juggling, and the foot came down in bounds. That "confirmed ruling" was obviously dishonest. I also saw two handed holding of Mitch Mathews in the end zone for a catchable pass. PI was undeniable and right in front of an official, but was not called. I was surprised when they actually made the back to back PI calls for Apo and Hoffman in the fourth.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
I liked the non-call on the fumble recovery. Two reasons.



1. We got the ball two plays later in nearly the same spot, iirc, so it did not really hurt us - so now they owe us one - ha ha



2. I think this got me 2 badly needed points in the Cougar prediction game.



I was a little bit miffed, too, though that both teams did not continue the craziness once my score and yardage predictions were mostly out the window, so that they could have gotten to 80-79 and over 1,000 BYU yards so that those who predicted 47-10 type scores would be out the window as well.



Nobody predicted this barn burner, but the BYU blowout pickers are going to all move up.



So - yeah - it was nice to pick up 2 points from this bad call.



The shove off by the receiver in the 1st qtr was a worse call.
J
jonnylingo
i was shocked to see how quickly sorenson chased that dude down. you saw povey with no chance in the world. then sorenson bolts into the picture like lightning. that dude is fast.
C
Cougarbib
jonnylingo wrote:
i was shocked to see how quickly sorenson chased that dude down. you saw povey with no chance in the world. then sorenson bolts into the picture like lightning. that dude is fast.

Not that I have any data, but this is the fastest overall BYU defense I recall seeing - ever - though not the fastest corners.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.