Archived Topic

Taysom Hill > Everyone else

by frdbtr · 10/19/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
We just saw one of the greatest QB performances in BYU history. We get this guy for at least 1 more year and hopefully 2. Can you imagine how good this team would be this year if we had an offensive line?
B
BigCougsFan
I totally agree!



BUT...



I was thinking the same thing with Houston. They're way young and are studs!
B
BroncoBot
Awesome game by Hill. Had some sophomore mistakes (waltzing out of bounds, the intentional grounding (if you're hit can you still intentionally ground? that happens all the time) and the pick six) but the guy is as exciting as any in nation right now.
C
cougarnerd
BroncoBot wrote:
Awesome game by Hill. Had some sophomore mistakes (waltzing out of bounds, the intentional grounding (if you're hit can you still intentionally ground? that happens all the time) and the pick six) but the guy is as exciting as any in nation right now.


And the other two INTs, and the safety. He is exciting, true, and the refs missed some PI calls, but Hill could have thrown a TD pass to Hine at the front corner of the end zone instead of throwing the pick into the end zone when he intended it for Ridley with 2:34 left in the first down. Also, early in the third, he got sacked. The next play (3rd & 18), he threw a pick intended for Mathews.
C
craigoscarson
cougarnerd wrote:
Awesome game by Hill. Had some sophomore mistakes (waltzing out of bounds, the intentional grounding (if you're hit can you still intentionally ground? that happens all the time) and the pick six) but the guy is as exciting as any in nation right now.


And the other two INTs, and the safety. He is exciting, true, and the refs missed some PI calls, but Hill could have thrown a TD pass to Hine at the front corner of the end zone instead of throwing the pick into the end zone when he intended it for Ridley with 2:34 left in the first down. Also, early in the third, he got sacked. The next play (3rd & 18), he threw a pick intended for Mathews.


some PI calls? Houston was trying to take the jerseys off our receivers in the 1st half... it was embarrassing how much they got away with.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
I like games like this where it's a confidence builder when you win... but it was also pretty ugly. Taysom made enough mistakes to lose this game too. I do not look at his game today and get incredibly giddy. BYU QBs of the past would have thrown for 400 on this Houston team without a lot of the silly mistakes Hill made. He's going to be great, but this was not a great game. Good game with some great moments, but also some really really bad decision making.
G
Guest
craigoscarson wrote:
I like games like this where it's a confidence builder when you win... but it was also pretty ugly. Taysom made enough mistakes to lose this game too. I do not look at his game today and get incredibly giddy. BYU QBs of the past would have thrown for 400 on this Houston team without a lot of the silly mistakes Hill made. He's going to be great, but this was not a great game. Good game with some great moments, but also some really really bad decision making.


Yeah, you're right. This is a great scenario for a win because you beat an undefeated team, on the road, have a fantastic statistical performance, but then you can look and point out several cases where improvements can still be made.
U
Ungoy
Per Cougar Stats: Taysom had 1st 400 pass, 100 rush game in BYU history. Only 7 QBs in NCAA history with that combo.



This guy is something special. Outside of a few correctable errors , he played a phenomenal game today. His progression this season has me amazed.
F
frdbtr
craigoscarson wrote:
I like games like this where it's a confidence builder when you win... but it was also pretty ugly. Taysom made enough mistakes to lose this game too. I do not look at his game today and get incredibly giddy. BYU QBs of the past would have thrown for 400 on this Houston team without a lot of the silly mistakes Hill made. He's going to be great, but this was not a great game. Good game with some great moments, but also some really really bad decision making.


Maybe if they were playing behind the Olines they had back then but not with this one. Our offensive line has improved a lot over the course of this year but they missed a TON of blitzes that could have been picked up. Like was stated, not many have ever passed for more than 400 and ran more than 100 in the history of college football. Even with his mistakes, Thill's performance was one of the greatest in BYU history.
U
Ungoy
Craig, normally I would agree with you, but not on this one. Hill made mistakes yes, but look at how much game experience he has had going back to last season, and how much progression he has made this year. Yes, there were some moments when I was screaming at the TV because of something he did, (pump fake 2 seconds before taking a bad sack, pump faking in the endzone before getting sacked for a safety, and stepping out of bounds, pick 6), but there were more than enough times where I was not just glad he was QB for us, but amazed at his ability. He went from being a 33% passer to a now 60-65% passer since week 3. He improvement has been uncanny. If we can get an o-line that can run block and pass block, we're in for a special treat on offense with Hill at the helm. This kid is a special kind of baller.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Ungoy wrote:
Craig, normally I would agree with you, but not on this one. Hill made mistakes yes, but look at how much game experience he has had going back to last season, and how much progression he has made this year. Yes, there were some moments when I was screaming at the TV because of something he did, (pump fake 2 seconds before taking a bad sack, pump faking in the endzone before getting sacked for a safety, and stepping out of bounds, pick 6), but there were more than enough times where I was not just glad he was QB for us, but amazed at his ability. He went from being a 33% passer to a now 60-65% passer since week 3. He improvement has been uncanny. If we can get an o-line that can run block and pass block, we're in for a special treat on offense with Hill at the helm. This kid is a special kind of baller.


He's the kind of special we have never had at BYU. Enjoy it while you can folks, we may only have him through next year. He is a return missionary and NFL teams like young guys, not 25 year old return missionaries.
C
craigoscarson
Ungoy wrote:
Craig, normally I would agree with you, but not on this one. Hill made mistakes yes, but look at how much game experience he has had going back to last season, and how much progression he has made this year. Yes, there were some moments when I was screaming at the TV because of something he did, (pump fake 2 seconds before taking a bad sack, pump faking in the endzone before getting sacked for a safety, and stepping out of bounds, pick 6), but there were more than enough times where I was not just glad he was QB for us, but amazed at his ability. He went from being a 33% passer to a now 60-65% passer since week 3. He improvement has been uncanny. If we can get an o-line that can run block and pass block, we're in for a special treat on offense with Hill at the helm. This kid is a special kind of baller.


I didn't say he wasn't special. I've actually been saying he has all the tools since last season. However, having worked in D1 hoops and being around college athletics, I simply can't stomach a basketball player getting 25 points and having 10 turnovers.. this is how I feel about Hill today. We won the game, because #1 we're better than Houston... they're not that good #2 We were 1 point better than Houston.... Hill could have made those same mistakes against a better team, but could he have made those great plays?



I can jump for joy because we found a QB (btw go back to the Virginia game threads and see who was piling on... not me) but I'm not going to jump for joy for the performance. It was really good but it was also really bad. Glad we won... Glad we have Hill. The potential is amazing, but I think if the Hill that shows up today, shows up against Wisconsin we lose by 30.
M
mizzoucoug
Hll just gets better every game though. I think, for the first time, he felt like he had to take over the WHOLE TEAM and did some things that were questionable. He's fiery and wanted to win and made some dumb plays. I'll take it. As I've said before, he will go down as one of the greats!
M
Matty-B
Taysom hill has to be in fantastic shape and be the most well conditioned player in the team

He threw 44 times and ran it 34 more times tonight

Do we need to be concerned about over using him and wearing him out?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
He's getting beat up out there a bit. I hope he can hang on the rest of the season and during the off season Anae is able.to shore up the OL.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
Matty-B wrote:
Taysom hill has to be in fantastic shape and be the most well conditioned player in the team

He threw 44 times and ran it 34 more times tonight

Do we need to be concerned about over using him and wearing him out?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


His arm looked really tired in the 3rd same as last week, but he did get his second wind when he needed it in the 4th. I'll take the ugly W anytime!



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
B
BroncoBot
Matty-B wrote:
Taysom hill has to be in fantastic shape and be the most well conditioned player in the team

He threw 44 times and ran it 34 more times tonight

Do we need to be concerned about over using him and wearing him out?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Yeah, it was good to see him not running as much the last couple weeks. Today it became a necessity unfortunately.
U
Ungoy
Hope that Williams is able to come back quickly from the hip pointer. We'll need him next week. Hill is a heck of a runner, but aside from Hill and Williams, we're lacking somewhat.
B
BroncoBot
Ungoy wrote:
Hope that Williams is able to come back quickly from the hip pointer. We'll need him next week. Hill is a heck of a runner, but aside from Hill and Williams, we're lacking somewhat.

Although, t was good to see the ball being spread around to an assortment of good receivers today. When Hill and the receiving corp start clicking, they could be crazy good.
I
IowaCougar
Despite the mistakes, it may have been the best performance I have seen by a Sophomore QB at BYU. Great game.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.