Archived Topic

Hine reminds me of Corley

by Wickchad · 10/16/2013

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Adam Hine Reminds me of Stacy Corley. Both are great kick returners. Corley was a solid running back but never really became the main option at running back. I don't think Hine will ever be the feature running back either. Hine will be fun to watch return kicks for the next 2.5 years. Can't wait for him to have two kick off return TD's in one game like Corely did.
G
Guest
Hine needs space to hit his potential. He has it in spades on kickoff returns, but when he's starting just 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage he doesn't currently have the vision to know where to go. I don't know if that's something he could learn or not, but he truly is fantastic on kick returns.
C
Cougarfan87
hawkwing wrote:
Hine needs space to hit his potential. He has it in spades on kickoff returns, but when he's starting just 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage he doesn't currently have the vision to know where to go. I don't know if that's something he could learn or not, but he truly is fantastic on kick returns.


There's a place for great special teams guys in the NFL. Vai Sikahema anyone?
S
scott715
Maybe he could be good on pass routes out of the backfield if he has good hands. He might not be suited for running between the tackles.



PS Who is Corley? I only know Curly of the Three Stooges.
M
mizzoucoug
Hine strikes me as a great downhill runner. Hill threw a swing pass to him last game that he dropped, which sucks because there was nothing but daylight for at least 10 yards. I think that's the best way to utilize him.
Advertisement
H
HoosierCougar
scott715 wrote:
Maybe he could be good on pass routes out of the backfield if he has good hands. He might not be suited for running between the tackles.



PS Who is Corley? I only know Curly of the Three Stooges.


Wow! How young are you?



I liked Corely a lot, but I think that late in his career he looked to avoid contact way too much. Sweeps and KO returns both turned into step out of bounds plays and he'd reverse route way too often looking for daylight instead of using his size and speed to run over people.



Hine has shown a willingness (maybe too much willingness) to engage in contact. The hit where he was knocked out (to spring Lasike) was hard and loud. We were in the north end zone and we all heard it. Caramba!
C
craigoscarson
Hine would get more time at RB but he seems lost sometimes with the footwork, taking handoffs, etc. He seems to hesitate at times for a split second after the snap, which can cause all sorts of problems, but there's no doubt he's a physical specimen that is an open field monster.



I played safety and receiver/tight end in high school and I was hard to tackle so the coaches wanted to see me try out running back in camp my senior year and I completely failed at the footwork and taking handoffs during the experiment; I just wasn't comfortable and it showed, even though I was excited to get the ball and bulldoze some peeps; they moved me back to my positions of comfort, and instead threw to me out the slot instead of trying to teach me a brand new position. In the slot....Hine could certainly make some noise in Falslevs position but JD has been quite reliable. Hine out of the slot to get him the ball in open space would be dangerous. Glad he's got plenty of time left in a BYU jersey! From all things I've heard Hine is very intelligent and sometimes rb's can overthink the position, when it's really "set up and go" (I'm not saying it doesn't have a cerebral facet but rather you don't want your running backs thinking as much as they instinctively go.. and that means the footwork has to be so natural that you're not thinking), I have no doubt he'll figure it out in time.
M
mtnradio
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Hine needs space to hit his potential. He has it in spades on kickoff returns, but when he's starting just 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage he doesn't currently have the vision to know where to go. I don't know if that's something he could learn or not, but he truly is fantastic on kick returns.


There's a place for great special teams guys in the NFL. Vai Sikahema anyone?


You took the words off my keyboard! :crazy:
S
scott715
I am 51. So when did Corley play? Too busy reading CC to look it up.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Good kid. Good player. Did seem to get a little Leary of contact. Bt he was exciting to watch on KO returns.



http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/stacy-corley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Why was there no Senior Year?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wickchad
scott715 wrote:
I am 51. So when did Corley play? Too busy reading CC to look it up.


Corley returned two kick offs for touch downs against Air Force in 1989. Air Force was really good that year and Edwards wants to start the game with a quick score. So he broke from his normal tendency of always deferring to the second half when winning the coin toss and elected to receive the kick off. Corely took the opening kick off to the house. Air Force never led.



Corley was very fast. He frequently wore royal blue tights. So when you watch the game replays he is the one with the blue legs.
S
scott715
I had just graduated and left town when he came on. There was no Mtn channel to watch the games then. Thanks. I don't remember him.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.