Archived Topic

i can't be silent anymore

by SpiffCoug · 10/16/2013

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
But BYU's basketball marketing theme of "Boom Shakalaka" might be THE worst idea the marketing department has EVER had.



And they've had some bad ones. But this one is beyond the pale. It is atrocious, awful, asinine, abysmal it is just plain bad.
B
bigbluepuma
Aw come on, tell us how you really feel. ;)
B
BroncoBot
You've got to be kidding. Was wondering why I kept seeing Boom-shakalaka associated with BYU basketball. That is atrocious, or just dumb/funny enough to catch on.
B
BerliNY
SpiffCoug wrote:
But BYU's basketball marketing theme of "Boom Shakalaka" might be THE worst idea the marketing department has EVER had.



And they've had some bad ones. But this one is beyond the pale. It is atrocious, awful, asinine, abysmal it is just plain bad.


You don't like the concept for the event? or you don't like how it's been named/marketed?



I like the concept myself, but I think the marketing has been High-School-Student-Body-Election-Campaign-Worthy
U
urroner
How can you not like this????



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peJhJMciSXE
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Please share. I don't know what this is referring to.
C
craigoscarson
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boom%20shakalaka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I don't mind it. If the kids like it, then I like it. We (cougarcorner cronies) are not the next generation of players at BYU... they're in grade school and I'll bet they think it's cool. I have a feeling it'll be a really fun event.. what's in a name anyhow ;)



If I recall, someone owns the intellectual property rights to "midnight madness" and many schools have moved away from having the open midnight 1st practice to doing something else later in the practice schedule.



btw I hope Matt Carlino is upset that he wasn't named in preseason polls as one of the top players... He will be the difference between a really special season and a bubble/NIT squad. We play some really athletic teams this year and the WCC has several solid guards that if locked down can't beat us. Other than Gonzaga, no one has a big that scares me. I have heard he's really improved his condition and strength, and I hope so.. I'm tired of Ireland, Doolin, and Pangos outplaying and outhustling him. It'll be nice to see how he looks Friday night. (I believe it's on byutv)
G
Gunk
craigoscarson wrote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boom%20shakalaka



I don't mind it. If the kids like it, then I like it. We (cougarcorner cronies) are not the next generation of players at BYU... they're in grade school and I'll bet they think it's cool. I have a feeling it'll be a really fun event.. what's in a name anyhow ;)



If I recall, someone owns the intellectual property rights to "midnight madness" and many schools have moved away from having the open midnight 1st practice to doing something else later in the practice schedule.



btw I hope Matt Carlino is upset that he wasn't named in preseason polls as one of the top players... He will be the difference between a really special season and a bubble/NIT squad. We play some really athletic teams this year and the WCC has several solid guards that if locked down can't beat us. Other than Gonzaga, no one has a big that scares me. I have heard he's really improved his condition and strength, and I hope so.. I'm tired of Ireland, Doolin, and Pangos outplaying and outhustling him. It'll be nice to see how he looks Friday night. (I believe it's on byutv)


Craig, was thinking the same thing about Carlino. Hope it puts a chip on his shoulder. Pangos is so overrated.



I like our odds this season.



The marketing is horrible. Looks like they handed the basketball marketing off to the interns.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
The marketing is horrible. Looks like they handed the basketball marketing off to the interns.


Or Bronco ;)
B
BerliNY
craigoscarson wrote:
The marketing is horrible. Looks like they handed the basketball marketing off to the interns.


Or Bronco ;)


Definitely isn't Bronco, there would be more "accountability" and "execution" instead of the weakest trash talking shot on a camera phone.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
If you don't buy the shirt, you're not an elite level fan.
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
If you don't buy the shirt, you're not an elite level fan.

And then BYU will have to do 2 for 1s with Montana St!
B
BoiseBYU
Didnt Tina Turner do some song--I wanna take you higher or some such--and there's a boom Shaka laka boom Shaka laka? Always wanted to make me dance.....
C
Cougs_Rule
Nah, Bronco would have called it off, declaring the team to be ready, not needing more preseason practice.

That, or he would have called it TSH Hoop Night, redacted players names on the Unis and for fun, at halftime rapped a song "Whats the big deal?" to a redux of "Whoop, there it is." :-)



Event good. Name, forgivable. Dunk contest: 3 white guys who can jump, 7 who watch, and one really cool AA kid who can barely dunk.
T
tmoney35
Did none of you guys play NBA Jam back in the 90's?
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
tmoney35 wrote:
Did none of you guys play NBA Jam back in the 90's?


I did, but that doesn't mean I want "He's heating up!" or "The nail in the coffin!" as our slogans, either.
T
tmoney35
Schmoe wrote:
Did none of you guys play NBA Jam back in the 90's?


I did, but that doesn't mean I want "He's heating up!" or "The nail in the coffin!" as our slogans, either.


It's just the name of this one event, right? It's not some kind of season long thing. Is it?
I
IowaCougar
I saw the event on BYUtv last night and thought it was a lot of fun. What a bunch of cronies! i thought I was one of the old farts on this site. 8)
A
ABYUFAN
tmoney35 wrote:
tmoney35 wrote:
Did none of you guys play NBA Jam back in the 90's?


I did, but that doesn't mean I want "He's heating up!" or "The nail in the coffin!" as our slogans, either.


It's just the name of this one event, right? It's not some kind of season long thing. Is it?

That's my understanding. I was given the impression that they used "Boom shaklaka" as a place holder until they could come up with an actual name - the players came up with it, and the darn thing stuck.



Goofy name, fun event. If it bothered you, you should probably lighten up a bit...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.