F
frdbtrThis guy thinks so, and he makes a pretty compelling argument IMO:
http://www.loyalcougars.com/2013/10/15/byu-football/1729-byu-defense-stats-numbers-record-2012-2013/ " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
by frdbtr · 10/16/2013
Lawboy wrote:
Ziggy was a freak and disruptor that this D lacks. Our D is solid, but the lack of Ziggy and softer boundary corner play is the difference. Not complaining, as both are defenses I'd be happy with every year.
Cougs_Rule wrote:Ziggy was a freak and disruptor that this D lacks. Our D is solid, but the lack of Ziggy and softer boundary corner play is the difference. Not complaining, as both are defenses I'd be happy with every year.
+1. BK is good, but not as disruptive. Of course, ALOT of times the D is a 2-5, so he ends up chewing up blockers. But stats support argument that last years was better.
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Stats support argument that last years was better.
frdbtr wrote:Lawboy wrote:
Ziggy was a freak and disruptor that this D lacks. Our D is solid, but the lack of Ziggy and softer boundary corner play is the difference. Not complaining, as both are defenses I'd be happy with every year.
+1. BK is good, but not as disruptive. Of course, ALOT of times the D is a 2-5, so he ends up chewing up blockers. But stats support argument that last years was better.
Really, did you read the posted article? Stats actually show that this years is better.
frdbtr wrote:
While it is true that last years defense was ranked higher in the overall defensive category, BYU's defense this year is defending more plays per game (by 12) than last years. This years defense, however, is allowing 4.1 yards per play, and last years defense allowed 4.5 yards per play. That indicates to me that this years defense is actually making it harder on teams to move the ball than last years.
Having said that, it is a pretty compelling article supporting the strength of this years defense but not conclusive. The only reason I said what I said to cougs rule is because his comment indicated that he had not even read the article before commenting. this whole thread was started to get discussion going about the article itself not people's perceptions of what reality looks like in their own minds.
Cougs_Rule wrote:While it is true that last years defense was ranked higher in the overall defensive category, BYU's defense this year is defending more plays per game (by 12) than last years. This years defense, however, is allowing 4.1 yards per play, and last years defense allowed 4.5 yards per play. That indicates to me that this years defense is actually making it harder on teams to move the ball than last years.
Having said that, it is a pretty compelling article supporting the strength of this years defense but not conclusive. The only reason I said what I said to cougs rule is because his comment indicated that he had not even read the article before commenting. this whole thread was started to get discussion going about the article itself not people's perceptions of what reality looks like in their own minds.
So myopic--your excoriating and the article, I'm not wasting my time to defend/articulate.
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Inconceivably bumbling. Please reread the stats he provides and tell me what's sophomoric about that analysis. Do you believe everything you read in the newspapers, let alone the bush league sources such as this one?
Hint: "lies, indamnable lies, and statistics".
Need more?
How about: "the truth, the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth."
frdbtr wrote:Lawboy wrote:
Ziggy was a freak and disruptor that this D lacks. Our D is solid, but the lack of Ziggy and softer boundary corner play is the difference. Not complaining, as both are defenses I'd be happy with every year.
+1. BK is good, but not as disruptive. Of course, ALOT of times the D is a 2-5, so he ends up chewing up blockers. But stats support argument that last years was better.
Really, did you read the posted article? Stats actually show that this years is better.
frdbtr wrote:Lawboy wrote:
Ziggy was a freak and disruptor that this D lacks. Our D is solid, but the lack of Ziggy and softer boundary corner play is the difference. Not complaining, as both are defenses I'd be happy with every year.
+1. BK is good, but not as disruptive. Of course, ALOT of times the D is a 2-5, so he ends up chewing up blockers. But stats support argument that last years was better.
Really, did you read the posted article? Stats actually show that this years is better.
SpiffCoug wrote:
Since I've been mentioned, thought I would weigh in. To a certain extent I think last year's defense is better. We are giving up more points than year, (about a field goal) but while we are defending more plays, bottom line is still more points.
As was mentioned, red zone defense is worse. I'd have to double check, but I think 3rd down defense is as well.
It seems like this year teams are able to find success moving the ball more frequently than last year.
But compared to where I thought the was going to be, with all the injuries and losses from last year's roster I think the defense is better than expected.