Archived Topic

Over Under midseason edition

by jvquarterback · 10/14/2013

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
half-way through the season. Time to see what you think. Like always add your question but everyone has to answer this one:



Number of games decided by 7 points or less that BYU wins this year: 1.5



I'm going with the under. Bronco is terrible with timeouts and Anae is even worse with play-calling in end game scenarios (4 straight deep passes with 2:30 left down 7).



I see 3-5 potential close games in ND, Wisc, BSU and one of UNR and Houston, plus the bowl game. BYU gets one at most because of stupid timeout decisions (like a defensive call in the first quarter on 3rd and long) and poor play calling. The only way BYU gets two is if two games are decided by scores of 6-3 or less and both coaches make long series of terrible decisions ala USU 2012.
S
stgeorgefan
jvquarterback wrote:
half-way through the season. Time to see what you think. Like always add your question but everyone has to answer this one:



Number of games decided by 7 points or less that BYU wins this year: 1.5



I'm going with the under. Bronco is terrible with timeouts and Anae is even worse with play-calling in end game scenarios (4 straight deep passes with 2:30 left down 7).



I see 3-5 potential close games in ND, Wisc, BSU and one of UNR and Houston, plus the bowl game. BYU gets one at most because of stupid timeout decisions (like a defensive call in the first quarter on 3rd and long) and poor play calling. The only way BYU gets two is if two games are decided by scores of 6-3 or less and both coaches make long series of terrible decisions ala USU 2012.




Byu typically has done well in close games regardless of the time outs. Bronco and Anae have done really well in close games calling plays. Bronco's defensive calls along with great individual play won us a Bowl game last year. In close games vs Utah we have won the majority. Doesn't Anae get some credit there?

Winning = good job players. Losing=bad job coaches.



Number of games decided by 7 points or less that BYU wins this year: 1.5

I say under. We are 0-1 so far and I don't think there will be to many close games to give the team a chance to win a close game. I can see ND being close. Wis, ISU, BSU, UNR I see has more than a 7 point spread.
J
jvquarterback
BYU is 0-2 so far this year in games decided by <=7 points.

BYU was 1-3 last year.

Poor performances in close games means the coaching is poor. I'd say in game coaching decisions are probably the only thing fans can legitimately critique coaches. We don't have the information to critique BM for anything else.



The spread will be less than 7.5 in at least 3 more games: ND, BSU, Wisc, and probably the Bowl game. I think the game this week will end up with a spread of 7-8 as well (opened at 10 now at 9), and UNR will likely be in the 6-9 range as well.



You're right though, before 2012 BYU was decent in games decided by <= 7 points though I'd say with the proper in game coaching decisions several of those wouldn't have been so close.





Number of Defensive touchdowns the rest of the year not against ISU: 4.5.
S
stgeorgefan
jvquarterback wrote:
BYU is 0-2 so far this year in games decided by <=7 points.

BYU was 1-3 last year.

Poor performances in close games means the coaching is poor. I'd say in game coaching decisions are probably the only thing fans can legitimately critique coaches. We don't have the information to critique BM for anything else.



The spread will be less than 7.5 in at least 3 more games: ND, BSU, Wisc, and probably the Bowl game. I think the game this week will end up with a spread of 7-8 as well (opened at 10 now at 9), and UNR will likely be in the 6-9 range as well.



You're right though, before 2012 BYU was decent in games decided by <= 7 points though I'd say with the proper in game coaching decisions several of those wouldn't have been so close.



Your right about pre-2012 and close games. My reference was Bronco and Anae. Since Doman was in 2012 I didn't mention it. Should have put that in there.

Haha I also forgot about Utah, 0-2. No way I think we get that up to 1.5. I think we get beat by at least 10 by Wisconsin. We beat BSU, Houston, UNR and ISU by more than 7. ND I can see being either a W/L by 7 or less. To many potential blow out games left to think we can get to 1.5.



Number of Defensive touchdowns the rest of the year not against ISU: 4.5.
G
Guest
Under Robert Anae as OC BYU is 15-7 in games decided by 7 or fewer points (including this year).



Under Bronco Mendenhall as Head Coach, BYU is 20-12 in games decided by 7 or fewer points (including this year).
Advertisement
G
Guest
hawkwing wrote:
Under Robert Anae as OC BYU is 15-7 in games decided by 7 or fewer points (including this year).



Under Bronco Mendenhall as Head Coach, BYU is 20-12 in games decided by 7 or fewer points (including this year).


So we can deduce from that that Brandon Doman's offenses were 5 - 5 in games decided by a touchdown or less.
S
scott715
The last few years we have not won the close games. I think the players are a reason. Some are winners when it gets tough some are not. We have a new crop coming in so I expect that to improve (the ability to pull out the close ones).
J
jvquarterback
scott715 wrote:
The last few years we have not won the close games. I think the players are a reason. Some are winners when it gets tough some are not. We have a new crop coming in so I expect that to improve (the ability to pull out the close ones).




That sounds a little too much like saying our players lack grit.



Talent-wise BYU was better than USU, SJSU, UU, BSU and probably ND with Tommy Rees at QB last year. THey were the better team in both close losses this year too.



A lot of those early games were games that never should have been close in the first place. (WY, UNLV, USU, CSU, Tulsa, etc).



At first I thought it was just BYU playing down to lesser competition but if you look at the in game decisions you have to at least admit this is something BM and RA need to improve in. Poor use of timeouts, poor clock management, poor play selection, poor choices on 4th down, etc, etc.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.