Archived Topic

Thoughts on GT

by BroncoBot · 10/13/2013

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Great overall game by BYU. Did a good job shutting down the option (as usual), and put a lot of points on the board.



RUNNING BACK BLOCKING is fun to watch this year. Lasike, Williams are both great at picking up blocks. Lasike is who I watch every play when he's in there.



BYU offense had a lot of "nastyness" to them yesterday. They kept churning. Didn't look like the finesse teams of the 2009-2011 years. Blocking was better, drive was better, receivers did a great job blocking downfield a couple times.



We almost lost KVN after the whistle..... :bug: Glad he didn't get hurt. you can see it at



http://www.byutvsports.com/gameday/game/?id=ff741003-cd34-4fe9-ab7c-762601e5226d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



go to 1hour:2min:30sec and you'll see what I'm talking about, guy goes right at KVN's knees after the whistle.





Justin Sorensen has had a great year. That has to make it a lot easier on an OC when you know you can count on at least 3 points if you can get your FG kicker within about 40 yards.



Hill has looked much better as of late. He plays like this the rest of the year and I don't see us losing to many/any teams. Can't wait for HOUSTON!!!
C
Cougarbib
Like last year, D needs to create turnovers and score points.



There were some worries, GT had receivers open deep all night. Drops and misses saved our butt.



Punting was inconsistent.



Holding calls.



This team has not peaked. More upside left.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Seems like the OL did better at blocking. Hill had time to throw
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
Seems like the OL did better at blocking. Hill had time to throw

At least in the first half. Second half was poor offensively.
G
Guest
Seems like we have more problems with our WRs holding than the oline.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Though that hold on Apo that called back the Taysom running TD was ticky-tack at best. Not much to call there. Same with the OL hold on the play before.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Seems like we have more problems with our WRs holding than the oline.

Hoffman held or tackled one of our own runners on one play while trying to block downfield. But, it is nice to see the receivers actually try to block.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I was yelling at him to block someone and then he got our guy.
B
BYULV
Great game on offense, if you ignore the 3rd qtr. That had to be one of our worst offensive quarters all year. I don't know if GT made adjustments and plays after the half or if we just got conservative. It looked like anae went back to calling two runs up the middle followed by a 3rd down and long pass pay.



I also think we need to wrk on our 3rd down rout running. Seems like we too often throw passes just short of the first down.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
Great overall game by BYU. Did a good job shutting down the option (as usual), and put a lot of points on the board.



RUNNING BACK BLOCKING is fun to watch this year. Lasike, Williams are both great at picking up blocks. Lasike is who I watch every play when he's in there.



BYU offense had a lot of "nastyness" to them yesterday. They kept churning. Didn't look like the finesse teams of the 2009-2011 years. Blocking was better, drive was better, receivers did a great job blocking downfield a couple times.



We almost lost KVN after the whistle..... :bug: Glad he didn't get hurt. you can see it at



http://www.byutvsports.com/gameday/game/?id=ff741003-cd34-4fe9-ab7c-762601e5226d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



go to 1hour:2min:30sec and you'll see what I'm talking about, guy goes right at KVN's knees after the whistle.





Justin Sorensen has had a great year. That has to make it a lot easier on an OC when you know you can count on at least 3 points if you can get your FG kicker within about 40 yards.



Hill has looked much better as of late. He plays like this the rest of the year and I don't see us losing to many/any teams. Can't wait for HOUSTON!!!


that is a cut block and that is how GT and air force block all game long.
Advertisement
S
Sammich
The o-line got blown up over and over in the 3rd quarter. They looked worn down, which is strange since they just came out of halftime.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sammich wrote:
The o-line got blown up over and over in the 3rd quarter. They looked worn down, which is strange since they just came out of halftime.


This. It was Hiroshima in the third Q.
R
runbyu1
Sammich wrote:
The o-line got blown up over and over in the 3rd quarter. They looked worn down, which is strange since they just came out of halftime.


Not much different than any other game this year. The O-line gets completely blown up and the rest of the team all of a sudden looks like garbage. When the O-line can get it together, BYU will be nearly unstoppable.
S
Sammich
runbyu1 wrote:
The o-line got blown up over and over in the 3rd quarter. They looked worn down, which is strange since they just came out of halftime.


Not much different than any other game this year. The O-line gets completely blown up and the rest of the team all of a sudden looks like garbage. When the O-line can get it together, BYU will be nearly unstoppable.

I would be more down on them, but they held it together for that last drive where we got the touchdown. Sometimes I wonder with them if it's more mental than physical---in the 3rd quarter, GT was going all-out for the comeback, and they seemed to believe in it enough to will it to happen against our guys. There were probably technical mistakes missed by my untrained eye, but to me it appeared more of an effort issue than anything else.
B
BoiseBYU
Cougs_Rule wrote:
The o-line got blown up over and over in the 3rd quarter. They looked worn down, which is strange since they just came out of halftime.


This. It was Hiroshima in the third Q.


I could be wrong, but I thought GT adjusted at half time and really started blitzing a lot more than in the first half. The offense did not adjust to this and hence the struggles....at least that is what it seemed to me.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BoiseBYU wrote:
Sammich wrote:
The o-line got blown up over and over in the 3rd quarter. They looked worn down, which is strange since they just came out of halftime.


This. It was Hiroshima in the third Q.


I could be wrong, but I thought GT adjusted at half time and really started blitzing a lot more than in the first half. The offense did not adjust to this and hence the struggles....at least that is what it seemed to me.


This. Not sure why they waited until Q3. BYU has not shown that it can handle a blitz by a decent defense.



Defense and turnover creation is the hallmark of University of Houston this year - it will be fun to see how this matches up.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stgeorgefan
BoiseBYU wrote:
Sammich wrote:
The o-line got blown up over and over in the 3rd quarter. They looked worn down, which is strange since they just came out of halftime.


This. It was Hiroshima in the third Q.


I could be wrong, but I thought GT adjusted at half time and really started blitzing a lot more than in the first half. The offense did not adjust to this and hence the struggles....at least that is what it seemed to me.


It was mentioned a lot by players and a few coaches that GT made some big half time adjustments. Off the top of my head; They went from Zone to man D and really started bringing pressure on TH. I don't think Byu really ever was able to overcome those adjustments. They did score one more time but I thought GT's defense had given up after the pick 6.

The first quarter GT dared TH to pass. The second half GT respected the pass and worked to take it away.
J
jonnylingo
stgeorgefan wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
The o-line got blown up over and over in the 3rd quarter. They looked worn down, which is strange since they just came out of halftime.


This. It was Hiroshima in the third Q.


I could be wrong, but I thought GT adjusted at half time and really started blitzing a lot more than in the first half. The offense did not adjust to this and hence the struggles....at least that is what it seemed to me.


It was mentioned a lot by players and a few coaches that GT made some big half time adjustments. Off the top of my head; They went from Zone to man D and really started bringing pressure on TH. I don't think Byu really ever was able to overcome those adjustments. They did score one more time but I thought GT's defense had given up after the pick 6.

The first quarter GT dared TH to pass. The second half GT respected the pass and worked to take it away.


I would say that Anae'ss biggest weakness as a coach is his inability to make adjustments.
S
stgeorgefan
jonnylingo wrote:



I would say that Anae'ss biggest weakness as a coach is his inability to make adjustments.


I would add that I think that Anae can make adjustments but is more of a "out physical" coach than out "smart coach." The whole 3rd quarter was Byu trying to establish the run/physical dominance. Didn't work so well against a tough GT team.

The first half was a huge coaching win for Anae though. I think Byu came out and played a different game than GT prepared for. Funny I think GT came out and played different than what Byu was expecting to as well.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.