C
CougarbibLots of fans want a return of the "Good Ole Days".
As I see other teams seemingly have an endless stream of QBs, RBs, WRs, FBs, and TEs as backups ready to step up at a moments notice - and given that the current coaching staff has been reticent since at least 2009, to put in the back-up QB, run the system, throw the ball, even at the risk of running up the score a bit - I recalled something from those "Glory Years" that has gone away.
BYU used to have essentially a farm system. They had nicknames like "The Kittens", "Baby Cougars", etc. It was basically a JV team that played real games. IIRC, they played 6 or 8 games vs teams like Ricks College, Snow College, Dixie College, College of Eastern Utah, etc. Junior College level of play. They kept a sharp, nasty edge. They gained experience.
IDK if this went away because of Title IX, budget, NCAA Rules, JC opponents nearby becoming 4-year colleges, or some other reason.
I think this loss hurt the program.
Anybody else remember this and why it became extinct?
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
As I see other teams seemingly have an endless stream of QBs, RBs, WRs, FBs, and TEs as backups ready to step up at a moments notice - and given that the current coaching staff has been reticent since at least 2009, to put in the back-up QB, run the system, throw the ball, even at the risk of running up the score a bit - I recalled something from those "Glory Years" that has gone away.
BYU used to have essentially a farm system. They had nicknames like "The Kittens", "Baby Cougars", etc. It was basically a JV team that played real games. IIRC, they played 6 or 8 games vs teams like Ricks College, Snow College, Dixie College, College of Eastern Utah, etc. Junior College level of play. They kept a sharp, nasty edge. They gained experience.
IDK if this went away because of Title IX, budget, NCAA Rules, JC opponents nearby becoming 4-year colleges, or some other reason.
I think this loss hurt the program.
Anybody else remember this and why it became extinct?
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

