Archived Topic

What do LDS Women Get?

by scott715 · 10/9/2013

Advertisement
S
scott715
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QYlDLChzig



Sheri Dew
A
ABYUFAN
I almost didn't watch it because I didn't know what it would be. I'm glad that I did. This is very good
C
Cougarfan87
Love it. I honestly don't understand why a woman of faith would want the Priesthood...as if being a righteous wife/mother/daughter of God isn't enough. I love how Sister Dew points out all that women have with the Church, and refers to the eternal blessings they get without ever having to hold the priesthood. A man cannot go to the temple, serve as a missionary, or do temple work without the priesthood, but a woman can. A man cannot receive his endowments without the priesthood, but a woman can. So, if according to the Lord's teachings, women don't need the Priesthood for exaltation, the only reason some women (a very, very small minority) do want it is because they seek to gratify their pride to prove they are equal to men. Why would they want to lower themselves to that standard just to be equal? The answer is that they have bought the world's lies about their value as women, instead of understanding their own great worth and sanctity. God's crowning achievement of the creation was the Woman. His work was not complete, nor was it determined to be "Good" until he had created that marvelous companion for Adam.
B
BroncoBot
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Love it. I honestly don't understand why a woman of faith would want the Priesthood...as if being a righteous wife/mother/daughter of God isn't enough. I love how Sister Dew points out all that women have with the Church, and refers to the eternal blessings they get without ever having to hold the priesthood. A man cannot go to the temple, serve as a missionary, or do temple work without the priesthood, but a woman can. A man cannot receive his endowments without the priesthood, but a woman can. So, if according to the Lord's teachings, women don't need the Priesthood for exaltation, the only reason some women (a very, very small minority) do want it is because they seek to gratify their pride to prove they are equal to men. Why would they want to lower themselves to that standard just to be equal? The answer is that they have bought the world's lies about their value as women, instead of understanding their own great worth and sanctity. God's crowning achievement of the creation was the Woman. His work was not complete, nor was it determined to be "Good" until he had created that marvelous companion for Adam.

Well said. My wife is certainly the better half of our relationship.
S
snoscythe
Pregnant often?
Advertisement
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
Pregnant often?

AHH BEAT ME TO IT!!
B
BoiseBYU
Elder Anderson just taught us that maleness is not priesthood. Rather priesthood is the authority of God and in the end, both men and women need the priesthood to be exalted--without priesthood authority we cannot receive the ordinances of salvation, including Temple Marriage. Holding the priesthood does not get you one inch closer to Heaven. Rather it is receiving, men and women, the priesthood ordinances and keeping the covenants made thereby. People who clamor that women should be priesthood holders do not understand this, at least in my view, and instead equate holding the priesthood as more powerful, important or closer to God. That simply is not true.
C
Cougarfan87
BoiseBYU wrote:
Elder Anderson just taught us that maleness is not priesthood. Rather priesthood is the authority of God and in the end, both men and women need the priesthood to be exalted--without priesthood authority we cannot receive the ordinances of salvation, including Temple Marriage. Holding the priesthood does not get you one inch closer to Heaven. Rather it is receiving, men and women, the priesthood ordinances and keeping the covenants made thereby. People who clamor that women should be priesthood holders do not understand this, at least in my view, and instead equate holding the priesthood as more powerful, important or closer to God. That simply is not true.


With the clarification that holding the priesthood is absolutely essential for men, I would agree. A man cannot have his endowments nor be exalted without it.
I
imuakahuku
What I have said to those that questioned why women dont have it I ask them if they think that the righteous supplication from a child's mother is less than the anointing performed by the father? And then express my sincere belief that a mothers prayer as at least as powerful as any priesthood blessing and probably more so. Hence why we don't and won't know Heavenly Mother's name in this life.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bigbluepuma
Very good point,Imkhk. I have often taught this subject, sometimes in formal settings, and sometimes informal. I wish that I had heard Sister Dew's talk and read this thread before the first; It would have made me a better teacher. Many in the church don't understand that a faithful sister without a priesthood holder in the home is entitled to ALL the blessings of the priesthhod except having some dude hanging around the house watching football on Schmoe's couch. That doesn't mean that it's alright to kick the old boy out once she has entered into all the ordinances and covenants; just that the blessings of the priesthood are for everybody.

My wife (the relief society pres. and former stake RS pres.) always says she is very glad that she doesn't have to hold the priesthood (except me ;) ) so that she doesn't have to worry about ever being called as Bishop. Having been a counselor and seen, as she has as RS pres., what the bishop has to deal with on a regular basis, I don't blame her a bit, and I really wonder about those fool women who want to be ordained.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Perhaps if we flip the question on its head and ask why is it necessary for men to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood for exaltation and to do temple ordinances but not women we would understand a little more deeply just how special womanhood is.
S
Schmoe
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Perhaps if we flip the question on its head and ask why is it necessary for men to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood for exaltation and to do temple ordinances but not women we would understand a little more deeply just how special womanhood is.


Well stated. This is how I've always looked at it.
B
bigbluepuma
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Perhaps if we flip the question on its head and ask why is it necessary for men to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood for exaltation and to do temple ordinances but not women we would understand a little more deeply just how special womanhood is.




Excellent point. I really appreciate, and am impressed with, the wise insights that have been presented in this thread.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.