Archived Topic

Ogletree pointing out where we need work (with vids)

by KingCoug · 10/8/2013

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
some of those plays were inexcusable. especially in the blue zone. it has to make me think that they were gassed. kafu doesn't really even do anything. with how thin we are those guys weren't getting subbed much and it affects their performance. gfgh doesn't work without subbing the oline when they get tire.d



we learned that at the uva game. the oline was not happy because they were told if they went hard they would be subbed when needed but then they weren't.
C
Cougs_Rule
jonnylingo wrote:
some of those plays were inexcusable. especially in the blue zone. it has to make me think that they were gassed. kafu doesn't really even do anything. with how thin we are those guys weren't getting subbed much and it affects their performance. gfgh doesn't work without subbing the oline when they get tire.d



we learned that at the uva game. the oline was not happy because they were told if they went hard they would be subbed when needed but then they weren't.


BINGO. I really think this and the injury issues explain the gap between some of the great Oline work vs Texas and intermittently in other games and then these clips. Some of these clips are cherry picking, bc they look as bad as JV linemen on a high school team. They almost fall over. And after a long drive when they are needed in the blue zone, they have nothing. THIS IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS Utah beat BYU. They would routinely replace their whole Dline. Iirc, USU did not have that much depth, even though they got a fair amount of pressure on THill.
S
snoscythe
I think we're also beginning to understand that GFGH is going to require a change in core philosophy at BYU--for GFGH to work, I think 60% or so of the plays need to be run calls, otherwise your OL is going to be gassed gettting to the next line of scrimmage after passes. After a run, it's generally easy (unless it's a 30 yard run) because your new line of scrimmage is generally right around where you are when the play ends.



Are BYU fans will to accept a prolific offense if it only passes 40% of the time? That would still be about 35 passes per game.
R
runbyu1
Watching these videos in painful! I couldn't imagine our O-Line looking worse. I wonder if the team (or at least the O-Line) watches these videos in practice with their coaches and actually calls out those who are pathetic. I wonder if this kind of video also helps the coaches dictate who actually gets the most important playing time.



Some of this stuff just looks down right disgraceful.
Advertisement
R
runbyu1
I remember Anae and Tuje repeatedly talking about restoring the Roger French philosophy and the NASTY. I don't see anything even remotely resembling nasty in our O-line. What is going on?
C
Cougarbib
Anae has repeatedly stated that our offensive performance issues begin in the trenches. Yes - they do look at film. Tough to pull a guy for being gassed or messing up though when so many backups are injured or inexperienced.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mtnradio
And if being gassed is the problem the solution can come from one or both of two options ... 1) get them in better shape and 2) have more depth. I truly doubt that these guys are taking a vacation during conditioning ... so the getting in better shape is tough, but still gains can be made. So what about depth? I suppose once everyone is healthy that issue is addressed too...

The inexperienced player can be tactically used to give targeted rests to the guys on the field a quick break for recovery (and the benefit is that the guy gets some useful play time). This is very tough to do ... but could be worked into the gameplan.
S
stgeorgefan
So let me get this straight; I call out the OL's poor play while the game is going and I'm a whiner more than a fan. Former player Brandon Ogletree does it a few days later and it makes sense to everyone.

Sounds like we have some democrats on the board.
R
runbyu1
I've got your back, stgeorgefan. I've been yelling at the O-line every game and calling them out on here. Even during the Texas game! They did run block reasonably well in that game (although most of our big runs came around the outside on blown assignments from the D) , but the pass blocking was abysmal!
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
This Oline has been horrible at pass blocking all year, but I think some of the examples are due to the players being tired. I think the solution above is valid but I think they could also slow down a bit and help as well. At least until we get enough depth to sub guys in and keep them fresh all game. If our Oline doesn't have enough depth to go as fast as Anae wants then he has to not be so stubborn and slow down enough to keep them from getting gassed in the blue zone so we can get some touchdowns instead of FG's or worse.
G
Gunk
I like the idea behind GFGH; however, it only works if your guys are in better condition than the guys they're playing against or if you have the depth. Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of gassed linemen at the end of the play.



Training and depth would certainly mitigate the problem. Going slower would also do the same thing.
F
frdbtr
The thing is, BYU is already slowing down a bit. I think cougarstats.com in one of their tweets pointed it out. We were running plays every 16 seconds in the Virginia game and ran them every 23 seconds in the USU game.



A lot of that was probably running out the clock all 4th quarter though.
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
This Oline has been horrible at pass blocking all year, but I think some of the examples are due to the players being tired. I think the solution above is valid but I think they could also slow down a bit and help as well. At least until we get enough depth to sub guys in and keep them fresh all game. If our Oline doesn't have enough depth to go as fast as Anae wants then he has to not be so stubborn and slow down enough to keep them from getting gassed in the blue zone so we can get some touchdowns instead of FG's or worse.


exactly and this is why many of us were quite skeptical of go fast go hard. you can't just implement. it takes years to get condition up and the players needed to successfully implement it. we need to slow down a little or address this issue. I think it would help the line and therefore taysom and co.
M
mtnradio
stgeorgefan wrote:
So let me get this straight; I call out the OL's poor play while the game is going and I'm a whiner more than a fan. Former player Brandon Ogletree does it a few days later and it makes sense to everyone.

Sounds like we have some democrats on the board.




:bug: They let democrats on this board!? :bug:
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think the GFGH offense is progressing nicely.



I don't think our plays and pace are slowing as much as people think. Here are the plays by quarter by game. I've taken out punts, penalties, spikes and knees in my tabulations



Plays by quarter by game

1st quarter: 20 28 20 8 22: 98 total

2nd quarter: 15 31 24 25 20: 115 total

3rd quarter: 21 22 24 24 24: 115 total

4th quarter: 27 17 26 13 15: 98 total
S
SpiffCoug
mtnradio wrote:
So let me get this straight; I call out the OL's poor play while the game is going and I'm a whiner more than a fan. Former player Brandon Ogletree does it a few days later and it makes sense to everyone.

Sounds like we have some democrats on the board.




:bug: They let democrats on this board!? :bug:

Give me names! They're GONE!
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
stgeorgefan wrote:
So let me get this straight; I call out the OL's poor play while the game is going and I'm a whiner more than a fan. Former player Brandon Ogletree does it a few days later and it makes sense to everyone.

Sounds like we have some democrats on the board.




:bug: They let democrats on this board!? :bug:

Give me names! They're GONE!


I'm sure the NSA has "the lounge" stored away somewhere and sometime in the near future Spiff, Hawkwing, and Sno will all be "randomly" audited :P :sick:
S
scott715
From Wall Stree Journal



Meltdowns Hobble NSA Data Center

Chronic electrical surges at the massive new data-storage facility central to the National Security Agency's spying operation have destroyed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machinery and delayed the center’s opening for a year.

There have been 10 meltdowns in the past 13 months that have prevented the NSA from using computers at its new Utah data-storage center, slated to be the spy agency’s largest, according to project documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.
S
snoscythe
I think we also need to remember that Olgetree is selecting the worst plays out of the entire game to highlight issues. While things aren't as good as many may have thought, I don't think they are as bad as some are making them out to be on the basis of 4 plays selected for how bad they were. Not a good OL, but I'm not sure they're chopped liver either.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.