Archived Topic

Will Obama Call Out The Utes?

by Cougarbib · 10/7/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
He recently called out the Washington Redskins ownership for having a name offensive to a large portion of our population.



Well if Redskins is offensive to many - and although I am not an Obama fan he at least speaks his mind even on things - football



The name Utes, although not as general as Redskins, might offend not only Ute Indians, but all Indians, and maybe all people of color.



The Holy War and all that goes with it offends BYU Fans and members of the Predominant Religion in the State as the U fans that I sit near refer to it sarcasticly and with foul language.



They offended Mac Hall.





And nicknames like Ewets, Ewe, Pukes, SNOT, and TUN offend Ute fans, sheep, sheepherders, and heaven knows who else. Wait - U did not choose those names - those names chose U.



Speaking of U - that offends Miami fans.



Anyway - how else do the Utes offend and will President Obama call them in any of this.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stgeorgefan
Cougarbib wrote:
He recently called out the Washington Redskins ownership for having a name offensive to a large portion of our population.



Well if Redskins is offensive to many - and although I am not an Obama fan he at least speaks his mind even on things - football



The name Utes, although not as general as Redskins, might offend not only Ute Indians, but all Indians, and maybe all people of color.



The Holy War and all that goes with it offends BYU Fans and members of the Predominant Religion in the State as the U fans that I sit near refer to it sarcasticly and with foul language.



They offended Mac Hall.





And nicknames like Ewets, Ewe, Pukes, SNOT, and TUN offend Ute fans, sheep, sheepherders, and heaven knows who else. Wait - U did not choose those names - those names chose U.



Speaking of U - that offends Miami fans.



Anyway - how else do the Utes offend and will President Obama call them in any of this.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


No he won't there isn't any votes to get In Utah.
S
stuckinbig10country
He doesn't need to get anymore votes and Democrats already rule in DC and MD, and seem to be taking over VA too, it seems like a worthless discussion. Also, Utes isn't nearly as offensive as Redskins and the Ute tribe has given their blessing for the school to use the name. I would, however, look for Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington to push the U of U privately to change the name.



With the Redskins headquarters in Virginia, their stadium in Maryland, and a large fan base in DC, the PC crowd that controls that area will of course continue to have their voices heard. To me, it is the most offensive of the mascots based off of Native Americans, but I'm really sure the government has much more things to worry about than nicknames for sports teams.
S
scott715
But it is a red state so watch out. If he can think of a way to get you he will.
M
mtnradio
stuckinbig10country wrote:
... but I'm really sure the government has much more things to worry about than nicknames for sports teams.

Wait ... we still have a government? :whistle:
Advertisement
B
BOID
The real question is: will Obama ever have to again pretend to be moderate, patriotic, or racially tolerant?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
"I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real legitimate concerns that people have about these things." - Obama





The question is, who are these people that are so concerned? A handful of liberals and outspoken Indians with nothing better to do?



That said, it would be HILARIOUS if the Utes had to change their name. :P
C
Cougarfan87
KingCoug wrote:
"I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real legitimate concerns that people have about these things." - Obama





The question is, who are these people that are so concerned? A handful of liberals and outspoken Indians with nothing better to do?



That said, it would be HILARIOUS if the Utes had to change their name. :P


Rick Reilly wrote an article on it. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds



As it turns out, most native americans actually like the name. There is some evidence that native americans actually used the name to describe themselves long before the forked tongue white-man ever called them "redskins." In fact, Reilly cites several high schools with the name that are predominately native american. There are a few native americans outspoken on the issue, but most of them never grew up on the reservation--in other words, they have been liberalized.



So, if you are keeping score, the white man wants to change the name not to offend the vast majority of native americans that actually like the name because the white man is offended for them. What happened to this country? Everyone has gone all :crazy:
B
BoiseBYU
Further
C
Cougarbib
Don't forget The Dallas Rednecks and the Wyoming Rednecks.



And those Fighting Irishmen or Leprechauns.



Florida State Seminoles - with their Jane Fonda Ted Turner Tomahawk Chop.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
I still don't know how "Redskins" nickname or the Cleveland Indians logo have survived to this day. While I wouldn't like to see the government intervene to force changes, I'm surprised there hasn't been enough public backlash to force the teams to change. I don't know, I suppose that Native Americans are an insular minority in this case.
S
Schmoe
Mingjai wrote:
I still don't know how "Redskins" nickname or the Cleveland Indians logo have survived to this day. While I wouldn't like to see the government intervene to force changes, I'm surprised there hasn't been enough public backlash to force the teams to change. I don't know, I suppose that Native Americans are an insular minority in this case.


You should read Reilly's article, then; I guess there should also be backlash against Notre Dame, the Cowboys, and the entire state of Oklahoma.



I do think that the Indians logo is bad, but it's not my place to decide whether others should be offended by something or not.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
IowaCougar
I guess the state of Utah will have to change back to Deseret, as the name Utah has the same source as the "Utes" name. It's funny how names chosen to honor a people later are criticized as being derogatory.



Maybe the Minnesota Twins should change their names too - wouldn't want all of those twins getting offended!
A
ABYUFAN
How is the "Sacramento Kings" name any different than the "Kansas City Chiefs?" And how does the name "Warriors" only apply to Indians? And how about the Spartans - is that really any different than the Indians? Reily is sometime way off base, but he's spot on on this one.
M
mizzoucoug
I don't know about anyone else, but I do not follow the rules of being PC, which is nothing more than delusional guidelines to live by courtesy of limp-wristed liberals. I wish more everyday folk would fight back on this stuff and quit letting liberals dictate what we are allowed to say in public. Conservatives and Republicans should know better than this.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SDSU Aztecs are as offensive as anyone.





The OP was TIC re all of the political correctness - but serious about the President being vocal about football issues of the day - called out The BCS, called out The Redskins.



I am curious whether he has any thoughts about how fans behave in the Holy War - Rivalry behavior magnified by religious bigotry - possibly perceived to be present in both directions depending on your perspective.



But, I realize he has probably never heard about The Holy War other than the brief SI mention.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Well the President does not have anything better to do between his golf games.
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
I still don't know how "Redskins" nickname or the Cleveland Indians logo have survived to this day
I guess there should also be backlash against Notre Dame, the Cowboys, and the entire state of Oklahoma.

False. It's like saying calling me a "Mormon" and a "Polygamist" are equally offensive. One is clearly offensive, the others are all clearly not.
S
Schmoe
Mars wrote:
Mingjai wrote:
I still don't know how "Redskins" nickname or the Cleveland Indians logo have survived to this day
I guess there should also be backlash against Notre Dame, the Cowboys, and the entire state of Oklahoma.

False. It's like saying calling me a "Mormon" and a "Polygamist" are equally offensive. One is clearly offensive, the others are all clearly not.


So a term coined by that people and that 90% of the people find inoffensive is "clearly offensive" while the name Fighting Irish, which started a derogatory nickname and uses a freaking caricature leprechaun as a mascot, is not? Interesting.



Also, who elected anyone other than those who are represented by a nickname the arbiters of what is offensive. I say let those who are depicted decide.
B
BroncoBot
I wonder if the Utah Jazz offend music fans out there?



Their play as of late has offended me.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.