Archived Topic

Before We Get All Giddy About Ourselves

by Cougarbib · 10/7/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Yes

We beat favored USU 31-14 on their turf

We may have been able to score more

That Cody Hoffman pick wrestle could have easily been called a TD or PI

Hill is looking improved

Williams looked ok physically and mentally

Matthews looked legit

Defense shut them out of red zone until garbage time not including Hill fumbling at the 15 and starting USU in the red zone



But

The defense may not always create 3 turnovers including a score

The offense only scored 21 points

ST may not always block a field goal

OL, RB, LB, WR and other injuries expose depth issues

GT now knows TH can throw given time

Falslev seems to have lost his touch and grip on punt returns

The opposing team may not always lose its star player in Q1



And GT offense and defense just might be improved over last year



But



Our House

Extra Day to prepare if they actually used it - doubtful

Bronco knows how to defend GT

Altitide - GFGH



But



Turnovers? Penalties?



I see another dog fight coming to LES



BYU by 5.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
By 5 is a poor scoreline. It's hard to come by in football. Sure teams score on the 10's frequently, but until you get to 35, it's tough to get to a 5 (5, 15, 25).



There's no way GT is getting to 35 on BYU so BYU isn't winning 40-35.



Do you think GT is kicking 5 FGs?



:)
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
By 5 is a poor scoreline. It's hard to come by in football. Sure teams score on the 10's frequently, but until you get to 35, it's tough to get to a 5 (5, 15, 25).



There's no way GT is getting to 35 on BYU so BYU isn't winning 40-35.



Do you think GT is kicking 5 FGs?



:)


I stole that from the former Utah announcer that predicted Utah by 5 in every game regardless of opponent. It could mean 5 points, 5 field goals, 5 touchdowns, or 5 inches I suppose.



But think of it as a hedge. If BYU wins by 3 BAM - I get 8 points. If BYU wins by 6 points. BAM - I get 9 points. If KVN gets a safety and BYU kicks a field goal and shuts out GT. Bam. 10 points.



I would love to see a 5-0 game the more I think about it. I love this defense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
By 5 is a poor scoreline. It's hard to come by in football. Sure teams score on the 10's frequently, but until you get to 35, it's tough to get to a 5 (5, 15, 25).



There's no way GT is getting to 35 on BYU so BYU isn't winning 40-35.



Do you think GT is kicking 5 FGs?



:)


I stole that from the former Utah announcer that predicted Utah by 5 in every game regardless of opponent. It could mean 5 points, 5 field goals, 5 touchdowns, or 5 inches I suppose.



But think of it as a hedge. If BYU wins by 3 BAM - I get 8 points. If BYU wins by 6 points. BAM - I get 9 points. If KVN gets a safety and BYU kicks a field goal and shuts out GT. Bam. 10 points.



I would love to see a 5-0 game the more I think about it. I love this defense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Apparently, you and the announcer went to the same math class. ;-)
C
Cougs_Rule
Notwithstanding, I agree with your OP.
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
There is a lot to be weary of still for BYU. Despite the win vs USU there was a good chunk of things to be concerned with. Things went Byu's way against USU with Chucky out and having a few gifted turnovers go our way. I get the vibe that it's Texas all over again in Cougarville. TH can throw and now expectations are back up.

I'm glad Georgia Tech is up next, Byu's defense should play very well against the option. I think the defense holds GT under 17 points. If Byu can score a measly 20 points I think that's good enough for a win.
C
Cougs_Rule
Add to Bibs list that BYU played one its best, most complete (especially Riley) games of the year last year vs GT. not sure GT played its best. They will be ready for payback.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Add to Bibs list that BYU played one its best, most complete (especially Riley) games of the year last year vs GT. not sure GT played its best. They will be ready for payback.


Agreed. It was a bit like Texas this year. They had a weakness and we hit them with something they were not prepared for. A bit like U did to us in 54-10. Hit us over and over with something we had not prepared for.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Notwithstanding, I agree with your OP.


See General Conference does a world of good for us all! ;)
C
Cougarbib
BoiseBYU wrote:
Notwithstanding, I agree with your OP.


See General Conference does a world of good for us all! ;)


You mean that Love Thy Neighbor part.



But the talk about 2 operas for every football game deal with the wife - wait, my wife hates opera.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
Cougarbib wrote:
Yes

We beat favored USU 31-14 on their turf

We may have been able to score more

That Cody Hoffman pick wrestle could have easily been called a TD or PI

Hill is looking improved

Williams looked ok physically and mentally

Matthews looked legit

Defense shut them out of red zone until garbage time not including Hill fumbling at the 15 and starting USU in the red zone



But

The defense may not always create 3 turnovers including a score

The offense only scored 21 points

ST may not always block a field goal

OL, RB, LB, WR and other injuries expose depth issues

GT now knows TH can throw given time

Falslev seems to have lost his touch and grip on punt returns

The opposing team may not always lose its star player in Q1



And GT offense and defense just might be improved over last year



But



Our House

Extra Day to prepare if they actually used it - doubtful

Bronco knows how to defend GT

Altitide - GFGH



But



Turnovers? Penalties?



I see another dog fight coming to LES



BYU by 5.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Didn't our offense score 24 points?
C
Cougarbib
Vancouver



I struggled deciding what number to put there. Special Teams scored the Field Goal, but you certainly would need to give a big assist to the offense for getting them close enough to kick it. But, then again, the failure to score a TD is why we had to kick a field goal.



So yeah - the offense scored 21 and put special teams in a position to add another 3.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
urroner
[quote="vancouvercougar"][quote="Cougarbib"]Yes

Altitide - GFGH

quote]



Okay, I'm older than dirt and might not be up on the latest slang used by you young whippersnappers, but what in the heck does "GFGH" mean?



I googled it and what I found were"Goldfish Growth Hormone" and "Grow Food, Grow Healthy." Neither make sense, but the last one kinda did, but only when we play our little sisters from USU.



http://cdn.toy-tma.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Bioshock-2-Little-Sister-580x326.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
"Go Fast Go Hard" by Anae
V
vancouvercougar
Cougarbib wrote:
Vancouver



I struggled deciding what number to put there. Special Teams scored the Field Goal, but you certainly would need to give a big assist to the offense for getting them close enough to kick it. But, then again, the failure to score a TD is why we had to kick a field goal.



So yeah - the offense scored 21 and put special teams in a position to add another 3.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


So I guess you could say that our offense scored 18 points because special teams did the PAT's.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
vancouvercougar wrote:
Vancouver



I struggled deciding what number to put there. Special Teams scored the Field Goal, but you certainly would need to give a big assist to the offense for getting them close enough to kick it. But, then again, the failure to score a TD is why we had to kick a field goal.



So yeah - the offense scored 21 and put special teams in a position to add another 3.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


So I guess you could say that our offense scored 18 points because special teams did the PAT's.


Yes. Offense scored 18 and put the kicking team in a position to add 6.

You raise a good point. The defense also scored 6 and put the kicking team in position to add 1. Would you give that 1 to the offense if you view kicking team points as offensive points? Confusing. That is why I struggled.



And of course the D picked up three turnovers and also held USU numerous times thus putting the offense in position to score the TDs in the first place. All of these assists. Whete does it stop.



It stops here:



The D scored that 1st TD with no help from the Offense whatsoever. .....wait



The coin toss, election to defer, and that great kickoff and the kickoff team - that all helped.



I guess I really have no idea who score what now. Even USU helped with some of our scoring. Refs - not so much.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Not giving the offense credit for those 6 points is absolutely asinine. Some people try so hard to look smart, they push the needle straight to loony.



http://dsbo73qgdzp2w.cloudfront.net/files/styles/news_node_image/public/news/dr-doofenshmirtz-daily-dirt-400.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vancouvercougar
snoscythe wrote:
Not giving the offense credit for those 6 points is absolutely asinine. Some people try so hard to look smart, they push the needle straight to loony.



http://dsbo73qgdzp2w.cloudfront.net/files/styles/news_node_image/public/news/dr-doofenshmirtz-daily-dirt-400.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I say that the offense scored 24 points. But really this is a team game. Defense gives the offense opportunities, and offense hangs on to the ball and advances. If we win the whole team gets credit no matter how it was done.
S
SpiffCoug
Even if the offense scored only 18 points, it was still enough to win.
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
Not giving the offense credit for those 6 points is absolutely asinine. Some people try so hard to look smart, they push the needle straight to loony.



http://dsbo73qgdzp2w.cloudfront.net/files/styles/news_node_image/public/news/dr-doofenshmirtz-daily-dirt-400.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Give it to whomever you want. But keep in mind that when you compare the offense this year to tje offense last year, the kicking team was missing almost all of the field goals and enough extra points that not even those were a given last year.



If special teams were consistent year to year it would all wash.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.