Archived Topic

book recommendations

by hawkwing · 10/6/2013

Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm leaving on a business trip and am looking for suggestions on a audible book to take with me. I'm mainly looking for something thrilling along the lines of Tom Clancey, Lee Childs, David Baldacci, or Michael Connelly. But I'm open to anything that is amazing.
S
SpiffCoug
Relic is pretty good by Preston Lee & Desmond Child. If you haven't read them, they're pretty good.



If you haven't read Nelson DeMille, he's pretty good. I really liked his Charm School. It's about some POWs during Vietnam sent to Soviet Russia to train KGB agents to be American. Think of the FX series The Americans.



RA Salvtore's Vector Prime is great, if you want a new Star Wars book to read.
H
HoosierCougar
I just read Ender's Game with my son. I know it's billed as a kids book, but I found it had some interesting themes and good discussion topics. Also, it was impressive to know that OSC wrote the original short story in 1977 given his depiction of the future.
S
Schmoe
I'm afraid the genre that you enjoy is one that I usually do not. But here are books I recommend that are nothing like what you're looking for (but excellent, nonetheless, so deal with it): Cormac McCarthy's The Road, The Monstrumologist (as mentioned in the WOT thread), The Book Thief, any Tony Dungy book (Uncommon & Quiet Strength), Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter.
S
snoscythe
Marc Cameron Is An Excellent thriller author as well.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
Marc Cameron Is An Excellent thriller author as well.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Is there an order one should read Cameron books?
G
Guest
Schmoe wrote:
I'm afraid the genre that you enjoy is one that I usually do not. But here are books I recommend that are nothing like what you're looking for (but excellent, nonetheless, so deal with it): Cormac McCarthy's The Road, The Monstrumologist (as mentioned in the WOT thread), The Book Thief, any Tony Dungy book (Uncommon & Quiet Strength), Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter.


I like those books too, there's just something about travelling that makes me want to read political thrillers, though.



I've added Montrumologist to my want list as my next acquisition from your previous comments.
G
Guest
HoosierCougar wrote:
I just read Ender's Game with my son. I know it's billed as a kids book, but I found it had some interesting themes and good discussion topics. Also, it was impressive to know that OSC wrote the original short story in 1977 given his depiction of the future.


Yeah, Ender's Game is a great book, I'm really looking forward to the movie!
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
Relic is pretty good by Preston Lee & Desmond Child. If you haven't read them, they're pretty good.



If you haven't read Nelson DeMille, he's pretty good. I really liked his Charm School. It's about some POWs during Vietnam sent to Soviet Russia to train KGB agents to be American. Think of the FX series The Americans.



RA Salvtore's Vector Prime is great, if you want a new Star Wars book to read.


Great suggestions, I'll check them out.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
Marc Cameron Is An Excellent thriller author as well.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Is there an order one should read Cameron books?


Yes. They build off each other. I believe "National Security" is the first. There is also a relatively new author whose name I can't remember offhand that is writing phenomenal stuff. he's former MI6, so the tradecraft in his books is real and described in much better detail than Thor or Clancy. I'll get his name to you in a bit. Books are the "Spycatcher" series.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
OSC's Empire is decent. Again, not my cup of tea, but might be in your wheelhouse.
S
snoscythe
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Marc Cameron Is An Excellent thriller author as well.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Is there an order one should read Cameron books?


Yes. They build off each other. I believe "National Security" is the first. There is also a relatively new author whose name I can't remember offhand that is writing phenomenal stuff. he's former MI6, so the tradecraft in his books is real and described in much better detail than Thor or Clancy. I'll get his name to you in a bit. Books are the "Spycatcher" series.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The Brit is Matthew Dunn. He has three books out--I am still quite amazed he hasn't been pushing the bestseller list with his stuff. Books, in order, are "Spycatcher," "Sentinel," and "Slingshot"



http://www.matthewdunnbooks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;





Marc Cameron's books go, again in order, "National Security," "Act of Terror," and "State of Emergency"



Both authors' books should be read in order.
S
snoscythe
BTW, if you haven't read Thor's latest "Hidden Order," you might want to lower your expectations post-haste.
B
BoiseBYU
The Ender Shadow series was also good I thought. I read a book that for the first time in a while I marveled at how well writen and how well told. It's A Thread of Grace by Mary Russell. Historical fiction of Italians in Northen Italy saving Jews from the Nazis.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
Relic is pretty good by Preston Lee & Desmond Child. If you haven't read them, they're pretty good.

Funny, it's an older one now but I was going to suggest that too.



Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
Relic is pretty good by Preston Lee & Desmond Child. If you haven't read them, they're pretty good.



Douglas Prestion and Lincoln Child?

Something like that. It's a joint authorship. There's a Preston and Child somewhere in there.



Now that I think of it, Desmond Child is a song writer - one of my favorites. So if you're into music, anything he worked on is great. He helped Bon Jovi write about 5 or 6 albums. Also worked with Alice Cooper, KISS, Ricky Martin, Cher, Meatloaf, and Katy Perry among others.
S
snoscythe
What did you end up reading?
G
Guest
Ended up finishing the Lee Child's book I had on my kindle, and then not reading anything else. Ended up being busier than I expected and only had time to read during the flights.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Schmoe wrote:
I'm afraid the genre that you enjoy is one that I usually do not. But here are books I recommend that are nothing like what you're looking for (but excellent, nonetheless, so deal with it): Cormac McCarthy's The Road, The Monstrumologist (as mentioned in the WOT thread), The Book Thief, any Tony Dungy book (Uncommon & Quiet Strength), Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter.


+1 on The Book Thief - one of the best books I've read.
B
BYULV
snoscythe wrote:
BTW, if you haven't read Thor's latest "Hidden Order," you might want to lower your expectations post-haste.


Just finished it and agree it wasn't his best. Still entertaining, but drags a bit in the middle. Also, not sure why he published separate prologue and epilogue on iBooks - that was a little strange.



About now I'm starting to miss Vince Flynn.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.