Archived Topic

Question re: Utah

by snoscythe · 10/4/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
A number in the local media have made a lot of noise about this idea that by joining the PAC12, Utah will now be bringing better athletes to play simply by reason of that affiliation. Utah announced the move in 2010, and has competed there since 2011. So my question is: at what position does Utah now have better athletes than they had in the MWC days? I think their Dline is about the same, and the linebackers may be better, but everywhere else seems to be a pretty significant drop-off from the MWC (I ignore Murphy at TE since he was recruited/committed during the MWC days).



Am I just biased and think all Utes suck? Or is the level of athleticism/talent on the hill beginning to decline?



I think Utah had a good recruiting pitch when they were in the MWC and busting the BCS and could sell that they were kind of a hip genre-defying program---a perennial David knocking off Goliaths. However, now they are a team that appears to be trying to become a Goliath itself and has a 7-13 conference record to show for it--never finishing in the top half of their division, much less conference. I think recruits that maybe would have gone to Utah 3 years ago are now treating it like a CU equivalent and opting for either more promising/exciting PAC12 pastures (including Mike Leach's new Wazzou) or they are buying into underdog mentalities at Nevada, BSU, Fresno St, etc. Not trying to put Utah down, I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks this is happening. Utah could be a very very different program when we next face them on the field.
C
Cougarfan87
They have had some speed at WR in the past, but I think that is one place where being in the PAC12 will continue to help. Really the skill positions will improve. Now, I don't think it will necessarily improve relative to the PAC 12, but it will improve relative to us. By that I mean the top flight WR's and Running Backs are still going to go to Oregon, USC, etc. It will be those that would be 3rd stringers who want to start type that live in the West Coast that go to Utah. That will be better than many of the atletes they got in the past when we beat them consistently, but not necessarily better than those we recruit We have had our way with most of the second teir Pac 12 teams, partly because they underestimate BYU, and partly because they are not familiar with our personnel and schemes. Those are disadvantages Utah does not have.



I foresee Utah improving a little, but never getting out of reach like a USC or Oregon. But, I also see BYU's recruiting getting marginally better as well. That book on The System should help high-character kids, LDS and Non-LDS alike, want to come play for Bronco. Of course, that assumes we can put together some respectable seasons. Ziggy helped. Hoffman and Van Noy will help. Winning the rest of our games or most of them will help greatly.
S
snoscythe
Yeah, I've heard the theory over and over as you have set it out Cougarfan87, what I'm saying is that's the plan, but what you see coming onto the field doesn't match with that theory--their athleticism/talent level seems to be taking a slow step back contrary to the "logical" theory you and others have been bandying about.



Here's the question I was trying to get at:



Do you think the players Utah is fielding support, contradict, or fail to support/contradict (i.e. because of insufficient data) that theory?
C
Cougarbib
Nationally acclaimed and objective recruiting ratings services and head-to-head recruiting results would give you an objective answer if you are looking for an objective one.



I would guess that such data would say this.



U recruiting class national ranking has trended up the last 3 years while BYU national class rankings have trended down. U almost never won head-to-head recruiting battles with BYU prwviously but now do so more often than not.



As the recruits of the last 3 years graduate, we will then be able to see if NFL draft results improve or decline. That may be the most important measure.



But the improvement is not dramatic. But the impact to BYU recruiting has been. U cannot compete recruiting vs top 5 or 6 PAC schools, so they go after and get players BYU wants.



BYU needs to turn this around. Several years of bowl ineligibilty for the Utes should help there, if that happens - but not if BYU keeps scheduling themselves into similar obscurity.



IDK who is most likely to go Bowlin this year - BYU or Utah. Both will need to pull off upset wins to get there.



Luckily certain type athlete and their parents will continue to prefer BYU over Utah and the Church is growing.

I



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stgeorgefan
I think the greatest benefit Utah will recruiting wise is depth. I don't see them grabbing handfuls of 4 star guys, i do see them getting a more talented overall recruiting class.



They should be able to recruit california better as they play there multiple times a year.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.