Archived Topic

Aggie Column: I hate BYU

by tmoney35 · 10/3/2013

Advertisement
W
Wolverine
Where will he channel all that hatred after the beat down tomorrow night? His momma better hide the puppy for a few days 8)
S
snoscythe
Someone just wrote the most "popular" piece of his entire journalistic career. The sheer number of webhits he will get from this will just lead to more of the same.
M
MesaCougFan
I have a confession to make....I too am an alumnus of USU. I appreciate that institution for the education that I received, and I love Logan! I have been an avid BYU sports fan forever. As a student attending USU, that love/loyalty never waiverd.



I am asked regularly about my allegiences for this rivalry game, and I'm never ashamed to say that I'm a Cougar fan through and through, and I will be devistated if the Cougs lose in Logan on Friday night.



I do agree with the author when he says that BYU fans act like USU is second class. The ironic part of it all is that the recent past has proven that both USU and Utah have been superior football programs to the Cougars.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
1 out of 10 proves USU has been better? Hahahahahahahaha, gasp, hahahahahaha! This guy acts like USU has been a powerhouse in our backyard that we've been disrespecting, but the truth is that until Andersen got there, they were Toledo. Does the Toledo local paper run garbage articles like this when Cincinatti comes to town?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Mesa



Yes for Utah. 0-4 head to head vs them.



No for USU. 2-1 (soon to be 2-2 or 3-1) vs them indicates we still be better - but the gap has sure narrowed. They are favored by 6 tomorrow for good reason.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Except when BYU beat them the last two years.

But you are right to a degree. BYU fans are in serious denial. BYU has lost serious ground to the Utes and may end up in third place in the state come Friday night. BYU is "superior" (better) athletically than USU, but BYU still has problems. And USU will be playing with ALOT of emotion, particularly in the trenches. This game, if a loss, could be a huge blow to BYU fans. And the losses could start stacking up after that.

I'm still cheering my Cougars, but stopped drinking the koolaid after the utah loss.
U
Ungoy
Wow... Utah State's Gordon Monson. They must've earned their degree in trolling from the same place.
C
Cougarbib
BYU fans and even some coaches have looked down on USU the past 45 years or so. Automatic win. Nearly. And the attitude was almost always backed up on the field. I can't blame USU or even U fans prior to McBride era for hating BYU or seeing us as arrogant. We were and we were able to back it up.



Then U started to improve under McBride who got fired for not improving enough. Then it sky-rocketed under The Urban Dude. KWhitt has let it slide, but still beats BYU.



Similar, but to a lesser degree and much more recently but almost equally short-lived, Anderson brought magic to Logan. Time will tell if Wells can sustain it post Chuckie Keeton.



But it is time for respect and humility coming out of Provo for its 2 in-state rivals.



Bronco fires coaches mid-season and benches 5 Star QBs when USU gets on top. Hopefully that is not disrespect, but just a clear sense of urgency to maintain a clear recruiting edge in-state.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
I love that there's 8 comments, all from BYU fans, all saying they like the Aggies.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
There's a rivalry there, but not nearly as heated, and pretty well limited to the game. Some of my favorite road-trip memories of my undergrad years were the two trips to Logan where, after BYU curb-stomped them, we would all head over to the frat houses for the post-game parties and everyone got along.



Could never imagine going to a U frat party after a BYU-Utah game.
C
Cougs_Rule
It's the CACHE VALLEY REGISTER!!!!!!!

Readership: 3,000. (Or thereabouts).

Hatemongering. Who gives a ripping flatulent.

He could not have reinforced USUs inferiority more than playing the ESPN card (can you say 5 million compared to MWC 650k????????) assuming, even proclaiming that USU was the "main feature" and not the rotting decay of the giant USC, and its soon to be fired horrible hire of LK. Total bush league by this guy. Is rather funny.
B
BroncoBot
Cougarbib wrote:



But it is time for respect and humility coming out of Provo for its 2 in-state rivals.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


No way. I'm not going to respect or have "humility" about either team. I also don't "hate" either team. I just found it's easier to enjoy sports if I'm not hating a team. I probably put too much emotion into "loving" my team as it is.



I do find utah to be irritating and annoying. Both the team and their fans. But I'm pretty sure if I sat down to dinner over some barbeque and BYU/utah never came up that we could get along just fine. I do wish a loss on every game that utah plays though.



USU is probably the team that I follow the most outside BYU. Not enough to care when they lose, unless it is to the "u"



This guy sounds like a lot of USU fans that want so badly to become the top dog in the state and have finally got a taste of what that could be. I will say USU has come a long ways in the last 3-4 years.
C
Cougarbib
Article is entertaining and accurate. BYU should understand how a fan of an underdog - disrespected by others feels.



It is different levels. USU has been disrespected in state As well as nationally.



BYU has only been disrespected nationally - other than U recently doing it - but not just by elite programs that can back it up. BY Who? That is why we hate Okie, SEC, BIG, PAC, and anyone else that has had the audacity to disrespect us.



It is in our best interest for USU to continue their Cinderella gig. We just need to beat them every year. Need to beat U every year. I wish USU had punked U again this year. That is the new source of in-state arrogance - U.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Article is narcissistic, self-indulgent, and fantasy land--they weren't even close to being the main feature. The USC side show was. BYU does understand and is guilty of treating USU for the WAC contender and barely MWWC team that it is.



"BY Who" is so old. hate Okie? Nope. Get out of the past.



Yes, we need to beat USU every year, but won't. U is the new arrogance? NOT new. Just now they have the wins to back it up.
Advertisement
Y
Ygridiron4ever
Fun to read, actually. I grew up in North Ogden. Absolutely loved BYU football. Awesome memories of raking leaves with dad listening to Paul James call the games on KSL. But that's where my appreciation for BYU ended. Went to Weber State for a couple years, joined a fraternity and LOVED Wildcat basketball and Cougar football. My sisters went to USU.



Then I moved to CA, went to Cal State Long Beach, and suddenly became very proud of everything BYU. I went to the Y for my Masters and Ph.D., and that cemented my loyalty. No other school I went to will ever be what BYU is. But I think that is because shortly after graduating from BYU we moved back to So Cal, then here to VA.



so I totally get how this guy had the opposite experience as me. Fact is, I had no opinion of the local institutes of higher education here in the commonwealth, but now that I'm here I think I'm a little more protective of (or defensive about) my Cougs.



The guy all but admits that they are a 'lesser' school; he even uses that 'fact' as motivation to have a louder bark (you know, mask the little dog) the article doesn't offend me at all. I just hope this guys "hatred" peaks during this week, then turns to other opponents Saturday morning.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Article is narcissistic, self-indulgent, and fantasy land--they weren't even close to being the main feature. The USC side show was. BYU does understand and is guilty of treating USU for the WAC contender and barely MWWC team that it is.



"BY Who" is so old. hate Okie? Nope. Get out of the past.



Yes, we need to beat USU every year, but won't. U is the new arrogance? NOT new. Just now they have the wins to back it up.




You need to get out of state once in awhile. Try living in the Midwest. South. West Coast. East. BYU gets no respect. As you may have noted, I do not have much hate. Not Texas who looks down on us even though we have owned them. Not really Okie - same situation.



I save my venom for the truly obnoxious like Bryant Gumbel, Barry Switzer, and the like. Throw Al Davis in there due to how he has treated some players and yeah that and 2 CC Posters just about covers it.



But yeah - it was a long time ago. I guess I can hild a grudge as long as the best of the grudge holders. Easy to do when you have so few.



Throw in Bo Shembechler for that cheap hit on Bosco.



Throw in Florida, Miami, and Ohio State. But these grudges will pass.



I am starting to hate Oregon and I am not even sure why. This, too, will pass.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tmoney35
I personally have no animosity for USU. My wife attended there while we were dating and I spent many a weekend in Logan during that time. It's a great place. The vast majority of classmates I had at BYU felt the same way.



But they're just not our main rival and that seems to drive them crazy. I honestly receive more hatred from USU students/alum than I do from Utah oftentimes.
G
Gunk
I didn't read the article (don't want to give the author anymore clicks). Wasn't last year USU's first bowl game in nearly a decade? A couple of good years out of two decades hardly qualifies as a trend.



Aggies claiming they're legit is like Justin Beiber claiming he's a "serious artist."
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
Article is narcissistic, self-indulgent, and fantasy land--they weren't even close to being the main feature. The USC side show was. BYU does understand and is guilty of treating USU for the WAC contender and barely MWWC team that it is.



"BY Who" is so old. hate Okie? Nope. Get out of the past.



Yes, we need to beat USU every year, but won't. U is the new arrogance? NOT new. Just now they have the wins to back it up.




You need to get out of state once in awhile. Try living in the Midwest. South. West Coast. East. BYU gets no respect. As you may have noted, I do not have much hate. Not Texas who looks down on us even though we have owned them. Not really Okie - same situation.



I save my venom for the truly obnoxious like Bryant Gumbel, Barry Switzer, and the like. Throw Al Davis in there due to how he has treated some players and yeah that and 2 CC Posters just about covers it.



But yeah - it was a long time ago. I guess I can hild a grudge as long as the best of the grudge holders. Easy to do when you have so few.



Throw in Bo Shembechler for that cheap hit on Bosco.



Throw in Florida, Miami, and Ohio State. But these grudges will pass.



I am starting to hate Oregon and I am not even sure why. This, too, will pass.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I travel all over the country. I see quite a bit. But wait this goes back to asterisks, doesnt it Mr " Detmer-didn't deserve-it"?



Dulcolax much? You know Al and Bo are dead, right?

As for CC posters, glad to know I will be a non-passing issue for the next 30 years.

Good thing those decades old issues aren't kidney stones.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.