Archived Topic

My letter to my Congressional Representatives

by Cougarfan87 · 10/2/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Dear Congressional Representative,



I just wanted to write you to express my feelings over the current lapse in appropriations and government shut down. I want to commend you for any role you have taken to ensure that the Affordable Care Act (commonly referred to as Obamacare) does not receive any funding. Though I work for the Federal Government, I would rather lose my job through a Government shutdown than allow such a huge tax increase (since that is how the Supreme Court has termed it) and government growth to ever see the light of day. It appears that the President and Democratic Senate have forgotten that the House is supposed to represent the will of the people. Polls show the majority of the people oppose the Affordable Care Act and actually think it will do more harm than good. I concur with that sentiment. This is an appropriate time to draw a line in the sand. This is an appropriate time to show the nation that you are willing to put the betterment of the country first, rather then, as Alexis De Tocqueville so aptly described, "bribe the public with the public's money." Please do not compromise on this issue. Sooner or later the President and Senate will have to bend because the longer the Federal Government is shut down, the more people will realize they don't really need the Federal Government, and perhaps the Federal Government and its spending should be "right sized," as they euphemistically say in the business world. I appreciate your efforts.



Sincerely,
S
SpiffCoug
Nice.
N
nuk13
I don't agree with you in some things 87, I do with this.



Fox is calling this a slim down.
S
SpiffCoug
My letter to Senator Hatch:



I wanted to express my concerns over the current shutdown of the federal government. I hope that you will stand with fellow Republicans and doing all you can to bring Senate Democrats and the White House to the negotiating table to solve our financial problems that are looming large over this nation.



There are serious issues that need to be resolved and if it takes shutting down the government to finally force members of Congress and the executive branch to get serious and start working together to bring our house in order so be it. There are no easy answers. But I do know the easy answer of giving the President and the Senate Democrats everything they want is the wrong answer.



I also noticed you chose not to vote for cloture last week. I was disappointed in your non-vote. Such an important issue and you chose to abstain and to stand for nothing. It occurred to me that you chose not to vote because you were afraid to cast the vote you wanted to (in favor of cloture). You have voted on the previous and following Senate bills so it was a conscious decision to not vote on this one.



Please do not be afraid to take a stand. The nation needs leaders. Not bystanders. We were told to re-elect you to another term of office because the state of Utah would need your leadership and experience. Yet you have been absent for this current "crisis."



Please do all you can to support Sens. Mike Lee and Ted Cruz and the House members stand firm in the face of the soft tyranny that is Obamacare.



Remember you work for the people of Utah.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
SpiffCoug wrote:
My letter to Senator Hatch:



I wanted to express my concerns over the current shutdown of the federal government. I hope that you will stand with fellow Republicans and doing all you can to bring Senate Democrats and the White House to the negotiating table to solve our financial problems that are looming large over this nation.



There are serious issues that need to be resolved and if it takes shutting down the government to finally force members of Congress and the executive branch to get serious and start working together to bring our house in order so be it. There are no easy answers. But I do know the easy answer of giving the President and the Senate Democrats everything they want is the wrong answer.



I also noticed you chose not to vote for cloture last week. I was disappointed in your non-vote. Such an important issue and you chose to abstain and to stand for nothing. It occurred to me that you chose not to vote because you were afraid to cast the vote you wanted to (in favor of cloture). You have voted on the previous and following Senate bills so it was a conscious decision to not vote on this one.



Please do not be afraid to take a stand. The nation needs leaders. Not bystanders. We were told to re-elect you to another term of office because the state of Utah would need your leadership and experience. Yet you have been absent for this current "crisis."



Please do all you can to support Sens. Mike Lee and Ted Cruz and the House members stand firm in the face of the soft tyranny that is Obamacare.



Remember you work for the people of Utah.


Nice. Sometimes I wonder whether there is really a difference between the parties--at least some of them.
S
Schmoe
I'd say that there is a definite difference between the parties, but not much of a difference in the people who lead/represent them, sadly.
G
Guest
Great letters, both of them.
N
nuk13
Hatch needed a kick in the butt. I'll bet his seat in the senate is almost touching the floor he's sat in it so long.
S
scott715
Where is the +1 button?
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
For all the angst regarding the ACA, I would like to see a side-by side comparison of House members who voted for it and compare it with where they stand today on the CR and defunding bills. I just find it hard to understand how the ACA can pass the House but now there's all this outrage.
S
SpiffCoug
The current House isn't the one that passed ACA. Because of the passage of ACA there was a100 seat swing in the composition of the House.
C
CAFB_04-12
Ah....interesting.
S
scott715
May I suggest that we like the Facebook pages of those who we support to say we are behind them in their efforts.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.