Archived Topic

Brethren, Adieu

by northerncougar · 9/30/2013

Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Last week was a strange week for me. For the last 24 years, no matter how painful the loss, by the next game I was excited for BYU football again. I just couldn’t do it Friday. I found myself not wanting to go to the game. I have so much going on that I would rather have stayed home. That has never happened to be before. I enjoyed the game but my heart wasn’t in it. I found myself not caring, no matter how much I tried.



I suspect part of it was the opponent but mostly it is the frustration of losing to Utah. This season is now a failure for me and after 8 1-2 starts, and losing to Utah 9 of the last 12, I can’t care like I used to. Maybe that will change but I think the game last weekend finally broke me. I never thought this would happen, but I think it finally has.



The offense is still a mess and we are going to get worked on Friday night. Bronco knows D but his ability to hire the right OC is lacking. Anae 2.0 is Anae 1.0, just three years older.



It’s time for me to step away. I can’t follow every thing about the team anymore. My heart just isn’t in it. I’m sure I’ll be back from time to time to read what is posted here, but I won’t be posting anymore. I just wanted to thank most of you for some great times these past few years.



• To Hawkwing, I thank you for a great site.

• To many on here we have had some great discussions over the years. Sometimes I’ve been right, often I’ve been wrong, but I’ve always learned much about this team.

• To a few of you, well…
G
Guest
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
S
snoscythe
Generally people wait until AFTER General Conference to realize they spend too much time obsessing with football and message boards! ;)



Take care, and hope to see you around.
C
cougman
I feel your pain. I got beat up on here pretty bad for expressing how badly I hate losing to Utah. A lot of fans have a way of just chalking it up as another game. Apparently that's the case for Bronco, too. Not me. Apparently not you either. Best.
S
scott715
See how you feel after we beat USU. Try watching some Lady Volleyball on KBYUtv. They are pretty good.
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
I understand where you are coming from.

There was something about that loss that hurt in ways other losses haven't ...



Hope you come back and enjoy the boards again. Best of luck to you!
W
Wolverine
Good luck with your family history ;) as for me and my house, we will continue to cheer for and support our Cougars through the bad times as well as the good times. I get your pain. Heaven knows any true BYU fan has experienced the "dagger in the heart" sensation. My advice to you is buck up, rub some dirt on it, and get back in the saddle. Cougar Nation needs all the loyal true and blue that is out there.
C
Cougarbib
Wait - no press conference.



To each their own. Ironically, my original plans were to drive 720 miles Friday night. Nap. Utah Game. 2 days to visit family. Drive 720 miles Tuesday night since I have a crew renovating my house.



After the loss - I asked myself Tuesday how I could explain to myself why I could not squeeze out 3 more days. I had given away my 4 lower bowl side-line tickets. So I scalped an endzone sear and sat by myself Using a jacket I borrowed from my dad.



Grow a pair and come back when the band on the wagon cranks it back up.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I can't help but express some empathy here; after the Utah loss, I have become more apathetic about this season than maybe any other before it. I'm still excited about what could happen this season, but I'm not expecting it. Sad to see you step away, Northern, but it can be good to reevaluate and figure out how much time and energy we put into something as silly as football. Hope to see you back from time to time as the season winds on.
G
Guest
I can definitely understand how he feels. This was the first year that I felt the Utah game was literally a "must win." BYU did not win, and now, regardless of how well we do the rest of the season, it will not be as magical as other great seasons.



But, those are the breaks, I put the game and the loss behind me and now I'm looking forward. We can still have a good year, just not a magical one.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
I can definitely understand how he feels. This was the first year that I felt the Utah game was literally a "must win." BYU did not win, and now, regardless of how well we do the rest of the season, it will not be as magical as other great seasons.



But, those are the breaks, I put the game and the loss behind me and now I'm looking forward. We can still have a good year, just not a magical one.


I felt the same way almost. I felt that this years' game was a "will not win." I know that Utah has a miserable program, but I also knew that they would beat us.
B
BoiseBYU
Northern, I'll miss you! I understand your pain! BUT I'd rather be a BYU fan and lose to Utah than a Utah fan and beat BYU...so I've got that I guess! ;) I wish you well and hope you show up every so often.
B
BYULV
hawkwing wrote:
I can definitely understand how he feels. This was the first year that I felt the Utah game was literally a "must win." BYU did not win, and now, regardless of how well we do the rest of the season, it will not be as magical as other great seasons.



But, those are the breaks, I put the game and the loss behind me and now I'm looking forward. We can still have a good year, just not a magical one.


We still have a chance at a magical season when we go to our bowl game and beat up on the utes! Now that would be magical in an ironic sort of way. I'm looking forward to it and cashing in all my Karma cards to make this happen.
C
Cougarfan87
BYULV wrote:
I can definitely understand how he feels. This was the first year that I felt the Utah game was literally a "must win." BYU did not win, and now, regardless of how well we do the rest of the season, it will not be as magical as other great seasons.



But, those are the breaks, I put the game and the loss behind me and now I'm looking forward. We can still have a good year, just not a magical one.


We still have a chance at a magical season when we go to our bowl game and beat up on the utes! Now that would be magical in an ironic sort of way. I'm looking forward to it and cashing in all my Karma cards to make this happen.


Secretly I am hoping to win out, play the Utes in a bowl game, and demolish them. Don't you think a bowl game would want to pit BYU v. Utah? Instant sellout and the beer sales would be through the roof---for the Ute crowd, that is. ;) Given a months time and some more development this season, I think Bronco maybe could pull out the win and cap off this season right. But, that probably won't happen. Too many issues to overcome with this young, developing team. Next year should be a very good year. Some of that will be to development, but some of that will also be due to a step down in competition. I love and support BYU football either way. You just have to remember it is a game, not life or death. I support the team, because it stands for something I cherish, and the young men are people I can be proud of, not because they beat everyone they play. They have a name for those kinds of fans.
C
Cougs_Rule
Best to you Northern. Can't say that I fault you. I was literally laughing in shame every time BYU fumbled Friday. If I ever thought that game was in doubt I would have been ticked.

Can't say that I would want to play Utes in the bowl-- it would be like "quintuple or nothing." After "triple or nothing" only a fool would keep betting.

I almost have to ask Northern, given your Cougarblue melancholy this year, if you bailed partly bc you see the writing on The wall for this week. You're getting off the sinking ship. It will indeed be a sad day in Mudville the day the Cougs strike out in Logan and end up third place in the state. Heaven forbid. No magic? Cougars must not 'be living right.'

My prediction? If Byu loses, we see more CC posters and ALOT of fans whose "hearts shall fail them." Lose to the Ags and BYU is at risk to miss a bowl game altogether. Ugh. Oh well, may as well deflate my expectations to avoid heart failure. If they win, great. If they lose, I might have some ND tickets for sale. "Oh bother."

I will still cheer my Cougs and keep my huge helmet Y in my lawn. Go Cougs! Solace: it will never be as bad as Crowton years.
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
Interesting post. I guess the Utes are living rent free in many of our fans' heads.



We have a credible defense again, an offense that can move the ball (red zone issues notwithstanding), and a win over a top 15 team at LES for the first time in 15 years with games against nationally recognized programs like Boise State, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame coming up. . . . AND THE SEASON IS OVER!?!?!



Really? Because we lost to Utah? Ok. Best of luck.
G
Gunk
Eh...ten bucks says Northern still is coming to the site and checking out the response to his post. Another ten bucks says we see Northern back here.



The offense does suck.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
I feel your pain northern but you need to learn how to enjoy byu football. It is just football. there is a lot to enjoy despite the difficult loses.
S
scott715
How can we play Utah in a bowl, they won't be eligible. At least that is my hope for recruiting purposes. If they do play I think I will go to that bowl game.
C
Cougs_Rule
jonnylingo wrote:
I feel your pain northern but you need to learn how to enjoy byu football. It is just football. there is a lot to enjoy despite the difficult loses.


Good advice. I love watching our D and especially KVN. Enjoy him like Jimmer, bc there will be a notable drop off next year when he is gone. Bt also really like watching Danny, Fua, Bills, and the D play calling. Also like watching Hadley. Watch for him to return w a vengeance.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.