Archived Topic

Jay Drew's hit job on BYU and Spencer Hadley

by hawkwing · 9/26/2013

Advertisement
G
Guest
I think it's terribly funny and ironic that Utah fans are so vocally upset about the idea that Darran Lucy is a Utah fan, saying it's an obvious lie, but then say every misdeed printed in the email is true and that BYU is covering up some big NCAA violation because the email claimed there was a booster involved despite the fact that the person named in the email is not a BYU booster.
H
HoosierCougar
Maybe I'm getting too old to be this involved in the rivalry, but I don't see this as a hit piece. Maybe I have become numb and care less than I should.



That said, I read Drew's article as a good book report on Benedict's piece. Probably B+ work. I'd like to see some personal insight in a book report that gets an A grade.



Here are some of my own observations:

1) When I first heard the Prison Fireside story, I assumed it was false, or at least mostly so. If Hadley is barred from representing BYU, should he have been at the fireside? Davies was at the games after he was suspended. So there's parity there. But speaking at a fireside? As a person who knows the value of redemption and is a proponent that no one is ever too far gone, I applaud the coaches for including him to the extent they did.



2) Drew's tone smacks of resentment that he wasn't given that kind of access. I guess after Benedict did such a great job repping BYU with his book, he's earned access that others haven't. Sour grapes by Drew? Likely.



3) It's interesting that the Trib wouldn't print the picture last week, but now does so with the caption indicating it's "purportedly" of the 'stache. Weak.
M
mtnradio
Reading that was a WASTE OF TIME!!! Is that really the caliber of "journalism" in Utah? Wow, and I thought my small-town-paper-not-far-from-Connell was bad ....
S
scott715
First off I don't want to read anything from the Trib anymore. Secondly, if Drew wants access he needs to be around the scene. No access from behind of your computer. Get out and kick the bushes around for some stories.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Wait, I thought I was the only one who questioned Drew as BYU's beat reporter?



That said, the "article" seemed to be more of a hasty report to cover the fact that the local beat guys just got scooped by SI and had no idea it was even happening until SI released the article online.



It was slapping plaster to cover incompetence more than an adversarial hit piece, although Drew did conveniently omit everything about redemption, forgiveness, and learning from one's mistakes.
B
bamf3000
I think its funny how angry people get about other peoples lives. I feel the BYU/Utah rivalry just brings out the douche bag in everyone and needs to be put to bed. It's getting ridiculous how vocally abusive everyone is getting about a sport.
G
golong
I don't read the trib, or Drew, and don't care what they way. However, I believe Hadley should be off the team and kicked out of school. He didn't just go to LV once, he went multiple times, he didn't just go to a casino, he drank alcohol. Hadley is a returned missionary for crying out loud, he should also have a church disciplinary council held on him. My guess is there is even more to this story, more to Hadley's actions than we know. As a former bishop, guys don't just go to a casino, drink alcohol...once. They do it multiple times, and they do more than that, and it takes a good bishop to pry it all out. If Hadley was going to Las Vegas on multiple weekends, why was he doing that? "curiosity" is satisfied the first time, why did he go the other times? I'm embarrassed to have him on the team, he should be gone. And my bet is, by late October (if not before) he will be gone.
B
BYULV
golong wrote:
I don't read the trib, or Drew, and don't care what they way. However, I believe Hadley should be off the team and kicked out of school. He didn't just go to LV once, he went multiple times, he didn't just go to a casino, he drank alcohol. Hadley is a returned missionary for crying out loud, he should also have a church disciplinary council held on him. My guess is there is even more to this story, more to Hadley's actions than we know. As a former bishop, guys don't just go to a casino, drink alcohol...once. They do it multiple times, and they do more than that, and it takes a good bishop to pry it all out. If Hadley was going to Las Vegas on multiple weekends, why was he doing that? "curiosity" is satisfied the first time, why did he go the other times? I'm embarrassed to have him on the team, he should be gone. And my bet is, by late October (if not before) he will be gone.


Wow, glad you weren't my bishop. You make it sound like a disciplinary council should be convened to punish Hadley. That's not what councils are for. It appears Hadley is taking the proper steps to return to Christ, what purpose would a council serve? The church's reputation isn't being harmed by keeping Hadley in the church. Hadley appears to be headed in the right direction. Just because your experience is one way does not mean all instances are the same - how can we jump to the conclusion he did "More than that? " hopefully he is working closely with his bishop and is getting a little more love, support and guidance than the judgement and resentment you seem to have for him.
E
EM_Puma
HoosierCougar wrote:
Maybe I'm getting too old to be this involved in the rivalry, but I don't see this as a hit piece. Maybe I have become numb and care less than I should.



That said, I read Drew's article as a good book report on Benedict's piece. Probably B+ work. I'd like to see some personal insight in a book report that gets an A grade.



Here are some of my own observations:

1) When I first heard the Prison Fireside story, I assumed it was false, or at least mostly so. If Hadley is barred from representing BYU, should he have been at the fireside? Davies was at the games after he was suspended. So there's parity there. But speaking at a fireside? As a person who knows the value of redemption and is a proponent that no one is ever too far gone, I applaud the coaches for including him to the extent they did.



2) Drew's tone smacks of resentment that he wasn't given that kind of access. I guess after Benedict did such a great job repping BYU with his book, he's earned access that others haven't. Sour grapes by Drew? Likely.



3) It's interesting that the Trib wouldn't print the picture last week, but now does so with the caption indicating it's "purportedly" of the 'stache. Weak.


I couldn't have summed up my feelings any better than you did. Thanks. Agree with everything you said.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
golong wrote:
I don't read the trib, or Drew, and don't care what they way. However, I believe Hadley should be off the team and kicked out of school. He didn't just go to LV once, he went multiple times, he didn't just go to a casino, he drank alcohol. Hadley is a returned missionary for crying out loud, he should also have a church disciplinary council held on him. My guess is there is even more to this story, more to Hadley's actions than we know. As a former bishop, guys don't just go to a casino, drink alcohol...once. They do it multiple times, and they do more than that, and it takes a good bishop to pry it all out. If Hadley was going to Las Vegas on multiple weekends, why was he doing that? "curiosity" is satisfied the first time, why did he go the other times? I'm embarrassed to have him on the team, he should be gone. And my bet is, by late October (if not before) he will be gone.


Funny, I was just thinking for eight billionth time how ridiculously excessive the penalties doled out by the HC office are.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
Who's Jay Drew?
C
Cougarbib
Of course they got scooped on The Hadley Story. It was a fireside. Ever been to one. Been to a few myself. There is never news coverage at a fireside. I doubt the Trib was even interested in attending. Especially since Hsdley was not scheduled to speak and nit very likely to even be there. Attendance is voluntary. The SI guy was there as part of his KVN series.



Then - BAM - A prisoner asked for Hadley to be put in and Bronco put Hadley in.



Despite the bashing Bronco takes from Trolls, unrealistic fans, and the local media there is a huge story in the making - EPIC - and history will look back kindly to the Bronco Mendenhall Era at BYU. Enjoy the ride. Let Bronco recapture your heart and soul.



KVN,

E Ansah

S Hadley

O Chambers



And others to come or that I am ommitting that were touched by the man



Throw in Dave Rose and Brandon Davies



Jimmer Mania and more to come



It is a good time to be a fan of BYU and the exposure it is getting.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Yep. Fully agree Bib. They're all bent out of shape because some big wig from some big time mag did their job better than they did the past week.
A
AmmonCougar1
Cougarbib wrote:
Of course they got scooped on The Hadley Story. It was a fireside. Ever been to one. Been to a few myself. There is never news coverage at a fireside. I doubt the Trib was even interested in attending. Especially since Hsdley was not scheduled to speak and nit very likely to even be there. Attendance is voluntary. The SI guy was there as part of his KVN series.



Then - BAM - A prisoner asked for Hadley to be put in and Bronco put Hadley in.



Despite the bashing Bronco takes from Trolls, unrealistic fans, and the local media there is a huge story in the making - EPIC - and history will look back kindly to the Bronco Mendenhall Era at BYU. Enjoy the ride. Let Bronco recapture your heart and soul.



KVN,

E Ansah

S Hadley

O Chambers



And others to come or that I am ommitting that were touched by the man



Throw in Dave Rose and Brandon Davies



Jimmer Mania and more to come



It is a good time to be a fan of BYU and the exposure it is getting.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Not sure I'd include OC on that list right now. He's been running a pretty heavy line of trash on FB since the u loss. I have a lot of respect for what he went through and for coming back to finish his degree but he is not being too nice to BYU on FB.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I listed him last. He got his degree.



Throw Tom Holmoe helping Jim McMahon get a degree and into The BYU Hall of Fame in that same category. Jim Mac has also been critical of BYU - but BYU is doing the right thing for Jim.



But yeah



The most powerful stories will be when the player makes the most out of the opportunity.



Harvey Unga





Players held accountable - even if it costs BYU some wins.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Yndian
snoscythe wrote:

It was slapping plaster to cover incompetence more than an adversarial hit piece, although Drew did conveniently omit everything about redemption, forgiveness, and learning from one's mistakes.


Bingo!
C
Cougarbib
I did not see this article as a hit job. It was just, as someone else posted, a factual restatement of what the SI Article reported. It did not cover the U fan criticism, or the fireside at the prison - kept it focused on the allegations including the false ones being noted as false.



Now the reader comments - different story like on every BYU article



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
1
1967cougar
HoosierCougar wrote:
Maybe I'm getting too old to be this involved in the rivalry, but I don't see this as a hit piece. Maybe I have become numb and care less than I should.



That said, I read Drew's article as a good book report on Benedict's piece. Probably B+ work. I'd like to see some personal insight in a book report that gets an A grade.



Here are some of my own observations:

1) When I first heard the Prison Fireside story, I assumed it was false, or at least mostly so. If Hadley is barred from representing BYU, should he have been at the fireside? Davies was at the games after he was suspended. So there's parity there. But speaking at a fireside? As a person who knows the value of redemption and is a proponent that no one is ever too far gone, I applaud the coaches for including him to the extent they did.



2) Drew's tone smacks of resentment that he wasn't given that kind of access. I guess after Benedict did such a great job repping BYU with his book, he's earned access that others haven't. Sour grapes by Drew? Likely.



3) It's interesting that the Trib wouldn't print the picture last week, but now does so with the caption indicating it's "purportedly" of the 'stache. Weak.


+1
I
imuakahuku
BYULV wrote:
I don't read the trib, or Drew, and don't care what they way. However, I believe Hadley should be off the team and kicked out of school. He didn't just go to LV once, he went multiple times, he didn't just go to a casino, he drank alcohol. Hadley is a returned missionary for crying out loud, he should also have a church disciplinary council held on him. My guess is there is even more to this story, more to Hadley's actions than we know. As a former bishop, guys don't just go to a casino, drink alcohol...once. They do it multiple times, and they do more than that, and it takes a good bishop to pry it all out. If Hadley was going to Las Vegas on multiple weekends, why was he doing that? "curiosity" is satisfied the first time, why did he go the other times? I'm embarrassed to have him on the team, he should be gone. And my bet is, by late October (if not before) he will be gone.


Wow, glad you weren't my bishop. You make it sound like a disciplinary council should be convened to punish Hadley. That's not what councils are for. It appears Hadley is taking the proper steps to return to Christ, what purpose would a council serve? The church's reputation isn't being harmed by keeping Hadley in the church. Hadley appears to be headed in the right direction. Just because your experience is one way does not mean all instances are the same - how can we jump to the conclusion he did "More than that? " hopefully he is working closely with his bishop and is getting a little more love, support and guidance than the judgement and resentment you seem to have for him.


"good bishop to pry it all out"? Hmmm confession or interrogation? You sound like my brother in-law's old Bishop. My in law went inactive immediately after high school. Didn't do anything bad but just didn't want to go to church and didn't want home teachers. Got engaged and graduated from college. A rumor came back about him and even though it was not true it didn't matter. Since the EQ Pres and Bishop heard the rumor they immediately charged him and had a church court convened in which he was excommunicated for doing something he didn't do but since he didn't show up to defend himself they exed him. Now he goes to another church with his wife and kids and wants nothing to do with the church. But hey, they sure showed him didn't they!?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.