Archived Topic

Ammon Olsen

by mizzoucoug · 9/25/2013

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
So obviously there's a lot of talk about getting AO among fans since Taysom is other-worldy bad right now--I give him the benefit of the doubt usually but last place in all of college is unmistakable.



Camp reports said they were neck and neck throughout but I assume TH's legit athletic ability gave him the nod. However, game-time performance is what we are after here. We learned that Heaps chokes under pressure whereas Nelson seemed to welcome it, and so did his INT's. But at the end of the day Nelson, amazingly and sadly, was the better QB.



Taysom doesn't look comfortable in the pocket (yes the OL still sucks), so what's the harm in taking a glimpse at AO this week? Lark showed that he had a pretty accurate arm but was exposed vs SDSU. I'd argue he didn't have nearly enough reps to handle a good D. Before we waste yet another year of football I think it's time to give AO a shot at a game. This one would be it especially since I think MTSU is a worthy enough team to gauge our 2nd stringer's game-time ability.



(Yes, I realize due to scheme and stubbornness on staff that this WON'T actually happen, but I'm curious if others agree that it's wise to find out before a kid becomes a Senior if he was not in fact the better option all along. I don't want a QB controversy again, but come on, last place is last place!)
S
scott715
I think he should get a series just to see what he has. Then evaluate and go from there.
G
Gunk
I think AO should get a quarter against MT tomorrow.
C
cougarnerd
Play Taysom for the first half, let him finish the drive into the second quarter if the first quarter ends mid-drive. Otherwise, let Ammon play throughout the second quarter. Play the better quarterback through the second half (or, if Hill really is better, and if we are far enough ahead, play Ammon just to give him reps).
S
snoscythe
After the last 2 years, I don't think the coaches will be playing Olsen until (i) Hill is injured and cannot play, (ii) the game is well out of hand and into bona fide garbage time against 2's and 3's, or (iii) they've decided Olsen is the guy and Hill is dropped to #2.



I don't think Bronco is going to let another QB controversy play out and the last thing he will be doing is feeding the undercurrent this weekend against MTSU. This game will be used almost exclusively to develop Hill's passing further, and I think that will be the case even into garbage minutes. I'd be surprised if Olsen gets more than a series or two in the 4th quarter.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
I agree with Sno that Olsen will only get a drive or two maybe in garbage time. However, I agree with everyone else that says give Olsen a shot. I usually am the first to support the starting QB, knowing that the back up is always the most popular. But in this case, we are talking last place in all of football. Think about that for a minute and let it soak in...last place in all of football. I am sure there are many other teams around college football changing out their QBs. BYU's QB controversies of the past few years have not been about changing out the QBs too fast, but rather being too slow to react. It appears we have not learned from that mistake. I am predicting we never see great improvement. I am usually a very optimistic person, but you don't go from wildly inaccurate to the kind of efficiency we need just because of fixing a few mechanics issues.
C
Cougarbib
Taysom plays with heart - ala Riley Nelson. OL protection is mediocre at best. Ala Nelson. Running back injuries do not help. Deja vu.



AO needs meaningful reps even if only to ensure he is ready if needed on a moment's notice.



I have no idea whether he is any better than Hill playing with spotty protection. BYU was blessed with Beck and Hall avoiding serious injury. But over the long haul - BYU, like most teams, is going to need to use more than 1 QB most years.



Young filled in for McMahon. Fowler covered for Bosco for 1/4 or so of the NC game. We had a QB injured vs Okie State in a bowl game. Even Feterik missed a few games. Covey concussions. One year Tom Young MVP in Bowl game was the 4th QB used that season. Nelson. Hill. Even Lark last year. Get AO and or the next guy ready.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Irish Cougar
snoscythe wrote:
After the last 2 years, I don't think the coaches will be playing Olsen until (i) Hill is injured and cannot play, (ii) the game is well out of hand and into bona fide garbage time against 2's and 3's, or (iii) they've decided Olsen is the guy and Hill is dropped to #2.



I don't think Bronco is going to let another QB controversy play out and the last thing he will be doing is feeding the undercurrent this weekend against MTSU. This game will be used almost exclusively to develop Hill's passing further, and I think that will be the case even into garbage minutes. I'd be surprised if Olsen gets more than a series or two in the 4th quarter.




Bingo. I also think TH will look significantly better given the level of competition is way down vs MTSU.
G
Gunk
Irish Cougar wrote:
After the last 2 years, I don't think the coaches will be playing Olsen until (i) Hill is injured and cannot play, (ii) the game is well out of hand and into bona fide garbage time against 2's and 3's, or (iii) they've decided Olsen is the guy and Hill is dropped to #2.



I don't think Bronco is going to let another QB controversy play out and the last thing he will be doing is feeding the undercurrent this weekend against MTSU. This game will be used almost exclusively to develop Hill's passing further, and I think that will be the case even into garbage minutes. I'd be surprised if Olsen gets more than a series or two in the 4th quarter.




Bingo. I also think TH will look significantly better given the level of competition is way down vs MTSU.


Hopefully that will build his confidence. WRs need some confidence too...
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
After the last 2 years, I don't think the coaches will be playing Olsen until (i) Hill is injured and cannot play, (ii) the game is well out of hand and into bona fide garbage time against 2's and 3's, or (iii) they've decided Olsen is the guy and Hill is dropped to #2.



I don't think Bronco is going to let another QB controversy play out and the last thing he will be doing is feeding the undercurrent this weekend against MTSU. This game will be used almost exclusively to develop Hill's passing further, and I think that will be the case even into garbage minutes. I'd be surprised if Olsen gets more than a series or two in the 4th quarter.




Bingo. I also think TH will look significantly better given the level of competition is way down vs MTSU.


Hopefully that will build his confidence. WRs need some confidence too...


I really think that's about all he needs. He was almost there through the first 3 Qs of the Utah game--good footwork, shortened his stride, and opened his hips for more accurate, less strong-armed passing. However, the receivers didn't help him out and the game got away and I think he reverted a bit under the throw-to-get-back-in-it pressure in the 4th quarter.



An easier game to continue to solidify his proper footwork and striding as habit may be all he needs to return to his pre-injury form.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
If ammon sees time it will be to hand the ball off over and over.
C
cougman
I'll be surprised if we don't see AO. I'm surprised he's not starting. Generally BM throws the "#1 guy" out there for our tough games and then inserts the back up in the cake games upon which everyone falls in love with him. Maybe he actually learned from the way he handled Heaps initial struggles in his sophomore season.



The real interesting thing here is apparently Brandon Doman is the best QB coach in the country. Hill was great last year. :roll:
S
Schmoe
It is my belief that AO, just like every other backup QB BYU has ever had, is the best player on the team.
W
Wolfman
Schmoe wrote:
It is my belief that AO, just like every other backup QB BYU has ever had, is the best player on the team.

TIC.
C
Cougarbib
Coaches have indicated that they are not even considering a QB change. If BYU gets in trouble vs MTSU, that might change in a hurry.



I think MTSU will put up a fight, but Hill and BYU should prevail.



It must be tough staying motivated as a back-up QB at BYU.



I will, for now, assume that BYU has not tried someone else because they do not think they have anyone likely to play better.



But I still remember Texas a couple of years ago changing QBs at half - taking out their hyped up QB - and putting in Ash for the comeback win.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
golong
Hill has played a lot of football, but can only complete 35% of his passes? the 4th string QB at just about any school in the country could do that well. I gave Hill a pass at Virginia, a driving rainstorm, lots of dropped passes. But then came Texas, the run game was out of this world, which should have worked in his favor, he should have competed 80% of his passes, but no, it was just as bad. Then with two weeks to prepare for Utah I figures he would do considerably better. I did not watch the entire game (second half), but what I was was passes rarely on target, usually behind or way overthrown. To be honest, I'm shocked that a D1 QB at BYU could be so terribly inaccurate. If Hill had run for 250 yards against Utah, and BYU wins by three TDs, I would forgive him again. But say what you will about Wittingham, he is no fool, he knows how to defend. And every team on the schedule will do exactly what Utah did, stop the run and dare Hill to beat them with his arm. If he cannot beat a team with his arm, what good is he?



I would not assume MTSU is "a huge dropoff in skill". MTSU is a decent team and if Hill cannto complete a pass, BYU will probably win, but just barely, and only because the defense bails out the offense---again!



I'm not sure what the coaches are afraid of. If Hill cannot hit a receiver, he needs to sit. If Olsen can't hit a receiver, he needs to sit too. The Oline is not to blame for overthrowing a receiver by ten yards, or for throwing behind the receiver. Good QBs hit their receivers. If Olsen does not get time in the MTSU game, then the coaches need to go because they are not smart enough to address problems on the team. If the coaches stick with Hill and he completes 65% of his passes this week, and next, and next, then the coaches are geniuses and I support them. But 12 games of 35% pass completion? BYU will be lucky to win two more games.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.