Archived Topic

Bigger Disappointment: Apo or Chambers?

by Wickchad · 9/24/2013

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Who is a bigger disappointment: Apo or Chambers?



It had been a long time since we had a receiver like Chambers. We waited and waited for him to become the man and it never happened and then he became a knucklehead.



Apo is the most hyped receiver we have ever had (hyped by the media and recruiting services, I think Phillips wins for most hyped by the fans...). I wonder if Apo is even going to get off the bench next game. I envisioned our offense doing what San Diego State used to do when they had two NFL caliber tall receivers and they would just chuck it deep to them repeatedly.



In my opinion Apo is the bigger disappointment. He seems to have all the talent in the world but for whatever reason it appears that he doesn't even care about playing.
1
1967cougar
I agree. Apo the biggest disappointment. At least Chambers tried. And he's got a cool Mom!
G
Guest
Apo and Chambers are both really good people and quality kids. I love them both!



That being said, Apo has struggled more to develop into the player we all hoped and wished he would be.
B
blue42
hawkwing wrote:
Apo and Chambers are both really good people and quality kids. I love them both!



That being said, Apo has struggled more to develop into the player we all hoped and wished he would be.


Nice headliner with that hawk, I will agree with you.



I really thought Chambers could have been the type of player that Hoffman is, while I think Apo is too soft and afraid of contact.
J
jonnylingo
Apo going away. He is more physically gifted than chambers and probably most of all the receivers in d1 football. He just seems soft and I have given up on him.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I'd have to say O'Neill. Apo has never been the same since he got nailed on a crossing route when Heaps threw one high and behind him. I think Ross has put forth maximum effort, but he has a subconscious block after that--he's got the yips, and there's not much you can do about it other than lining up the shrinks. I don't think he's wussing out, his subconscious is just desperately trying to prevent another experience like that.



Chambers on the other hand was a victim of his own choices on and off the field. His disappointments were well within his capacity to avoid, and he didn't. I mean no offense to Linette, and I think O'Neill is a good kid, but in comparison to Apo, I see one as preventable and the other as not.
C
cougman
1) All of Apo's struggles make what Cody Hoffman has done/is doing even more remarkable. Apo hasn't ever really had a good QB to work with. The only one with serious talent happened to be the one that Apo had decent chemistry with. Too bad, he lacked moxy.



2) Chambers had the benefit of some of the best QB's we've had in a long time (Beck and Hall).



3) Any way you look at it they both underachieved big time.
C
Cougs_Rule
Ok. It's been almost three years since Heaps "destroyed" Apo's career. Some of you need to find other theories (bib and Sno). I'm pretty certain that getting separation has nothing to do with getting drilled over the middle.
S
SpiffCoug
The only person responsible for Apo's poor play is Apo.



Yes, he got hung out to dry vs Utah St, but going into that game he had 12 catches on 25 catches (48%).



Since that hit, he's caught 56 of 122 passes. At about the same rate, 45.9%. He's just not a good route runner. He doesn't get open so he's not thrown to a lot. He's not a good pass catcher either as evidence by his poor completion percentage.



The only person who can turn Apo's career around is Apo.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
I'd have to say O'Neill. Apo has never been the same since he got nailed on a crossing route when Heaps threw one high and behind him. I think Ross has put forth maximum effort, but he has a subconscious block after that--he's got the yips, and there's not much you can do about it other than lining up the shrinks. I don't think he's wussing out, his subconscious is just desperately trying to prevent another experience like that.


This is surely tongue in cheek right sno? As knowledgable as you are i don't think you are qualified to make that kind of opinion as to Apo's psyche. If you are serious it seems to be quite presumptuous to make that kind of diagnosis.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
snoscythe wrote:
I'd have to say O'Neill. Apo has never been the same since he got nailed on a crossing route when Heaps threw one high and behind him. I think Ross has put forth maximum effort, but he has a subconscious block after that--he's got the yips, and there's not much you can do about it other than lining up the shrinks. I don't think he's wussing out, his subconscious is just desperately trying to prevent another experience like that.



Chambers on the other hand was a victim of his own choices on and off the field. His disappointments were well within his capacity to avoid, and he didn't. I mean no offense to Linette, and I think O'Neill is a good kid, but in comparison to Apo, I see one as preventable and the other as not.


Here Here Sno. I saw the hit Apo took. IN the USU game that Nelson took over and won, an aggie defender was ejected after a hit to the head of Apo( and this after Apo had suffered a previous concusion). I just don't think Ross has been the same player since.
C
cougarnerd
Last year, Apo's bench press was pathetic. He couldn't get separation from CBs. This year, he's better, but his QB isn't throwing very accurately. Once BYU's qb is throwing > 55%, he'll do better.



That said, I think Chambers was more disappointing. He declined offers from a bunch of schools (including either Florida or Florida State, I don't remember) to come here, but he wasn't a huge impact.
K
KingCoug
Definitely Apo.



When all is said and done, I think Luke Ashworth or McKay Jacobson will have had more impact in BYU football than Apo.



And that's just pathetic.
S
snoscythe
And FWIW, I'm not blaming Heaps for Apo. I think he just got a bad hit, and he's yipsed. I think a kid can have all the heart in the world, but if your subconscious won't let you go and feels like it needs to protect you, there's very little you can do about it.



Kind of like when Dale Murphy nearly got booted from the major leagues because he couldn't get the ball back to the pitcher. Save some manager having the lame-brain idea to put Murph in the outfield, and Dale Murphy would;ve just been another nobody. It's not like he didn't want to throw the ball to the pitcher, but something just went haywire and his mind and body wouldn't connect on the routine throw from home to the mound, but worked fine from the outfield throwing in.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.