Archived Topic

Hadley's Suspension Still "Indefinitely"

by snoscythe · 9/24/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
While the Honor Code office has suspended him from "representing the institution" for 5 games, Bronco reiterated yesterday that his suspension from the football team is still indefinite. If Hadley meets Bronco's requirements for return by then, he'll be back after 5 weeks, but possibly longer.
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
While the Honor Code office has suspended him from "representing the institution" for 5 games, Bronco reiterated yesterday that his suspension from the football team is still indefinite. If Hadley meets Bronco's requirements for return by then, he'll be back after 5 weeks, but possibly longer.

This is why there is NO need for the Honor Code to make any announcement or confirm any investigation.



All that needed and needs to be said for any player is that they're suspended for violation of team rules and will be reinstated once they meet all the requirements the head coach has set before them.



And one of those requirements could easily include to get square by the Honor Code Office.
T
tmoney35
I've been curious. Does anyone have any idea what kind of "things" Bronco would require of Hadley, or other Honor code breakers?
S
SpiffCoug
In the past it was ususally service related.
M
Mars


Honestly, 5 games seems like a lot to me for alcohol. But then again, what do I know.
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Mars wrote:


Honestly, 5 games seems like a lot to me for alcohol. But then again, what do I know.

I imagine a trip to the gentleman's club also factored into the suspension. Also the fact that it was public also probably made the penalty more than it would have been if no one knew what he did.
S
SpiffCoug
Wickchad84087 wrote:


Honestly, 5 games seems like a lot to me for alcohol. But then again, what do I know.

I imagine a trip to the gentleman's club also factored into the suspension. Also the fact that it was public also probably made the penalty more than it would have been if no one knew what he did.

Obviously. Because had no one known what he did, there would have no penalty.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
Mars wrote:


Honestly, 5 games seems like a lot to me for alcohol. But then again, what do I know.

I imagine a trip to the gentleman's club also factored into the suspension. Also the fact that it was public also probably made the penalty more than it would have been if no one knew what he did.

Obviously. Because had no one known what he did, there would have no penalty.


But, it was still very visible and soon to be well known.

And as for him making a "mistake" it was premeditated and not impulsive, wrong place, wrong time.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
While the Honor Code office has suspended him from "representing the institution" for 5 games, Bronco reiterated yesterday that his suspension from the football team is still indefinite. If Hadley meets Bronco's requirements for return by then, he'll be back after 5 weeks, but possibly longer.

This is why there is NO need for the Honor Code to make any announcement or confirm any investigation.



All that needed and needs to be said for any player is that they're suspended for violation of team rules and will be reinstated once they meet all the requirements the head coach has set before them.



And one of those requirements could easily include to get square by the Honor Code Office.


I think BYU needs to take a seriously look at your suggestion because these kids personal mistakes should not become a statewide or nationwide issue. It is not newsworthy what that person did unless ncaa violation. iti s newsworthy that they can't play but not what personal transgression they did.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Yep, there is no need for the HCO to have any mechanism with which to communicate with the media or populace writ large.
C
Cougarbib
Even if the Honor Code office were muted and gagged, the SLC Tribune had filed a Freedom of Information Act demand for the emails and photos, published an article, chat boards went viral - BYU and U and other, Sports Illustrated was all over it, and now Hadley, himself, has spoken openly about it at a fireside at the Utah State Prison the night before the game.



This has the potential to become right up there with KVN and Brandon Davies as stoeies of petsonal accountability and redemtion.



The problem was not the Utes, Trib, or the BYU HC office. It was Hadley and he is handling it with class.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
And the HCO still commented on it. Look, I have no problem with the suspension. Hadley is rightfully punished (even if it is somewhat arbitrary and the only likely reason why is because this incident became public knowledge).



Regardless, I think the HCO and the students of BYU would be better served by the HCO not having any contact with the media. There is no need for them to comment, verify or deny anything that the HCO is dealing with on any individual student level.



I didn't realize public shame was a part of the HCO reinstatement process. Maybe they should have an HCO blatter? Student X has an HCO investigation pending. We won't reveal the nature of the violation. Just know that a violation did occur.



Nice redemption stories for good PR shouldn't be a reason to publicly announce investigations.
C
Cougarbib
Or you could look at it as by quickly spelling out HC violation and no NCAA involvement, they helped mitigate the inevitable fire storm coming Hadley's way.



BTW - if you read the last paragraph of the HC S broadly as I do - any un Christian act - it is hard to imagine very many violations of team rules significant enough to warrant a 5 game suspension that would not be an HC violation.



I doubt that the HC Office ever puts anything out there that will not be helpful to the individual in addressing head on what inevitably is headed his way.





Same at Church. Johnny suddenly is not taking Sacrament. He declines when someone asks him to give the prayer in class. His daughter gets married in the Temple and he is outside on the grounds. I have seen all of these things happen to people in my Ward. A little public humiliation is an unavoidable consequence of sin. And these people were not public figures.



I had an honor code violation while at BYU significant enough that although I did not think it was a big deal at that immature stage of my life, they considered suspension but did not do it. They did not announce it. Because it was something that did not need to be addressed. I was not famous. But I did get a one line mention in the Provo Daily Herald and a friend of my dad's noticed it up in Heber City. So, I got a little embarrassment out of it.



Ironically, just yesterday, I got to see my 84 year old dad beat that very friend in old man billiards at the senior citizen center.



Just my opinion on it. HC Office does a fine job of doing a very tough job.



But if you prefer The Tribune reporting drinking and strip clubs and possible NCAA violations and that the tried to contact the BYU HCO and got "It is our policy not to deny or confirm allegations made against our students" as less humiliating to the student. It isn't one bit less humiliating and has those that "want to know" look for other sources of confirmation. Like internet sites with tons of haters commenting about photos.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
golong
Stop obsessing over the trib, Hadley should be gone. He has embarrassed the team, the coaches, the school and the church. A returned missionary going to LV, partying, taking pictures with near naked women, drinking...are you kidding me. I assure you he did even more than that, only a good bishop will pry the rest of it out of him. Bronco, get him off the team, and out of the school. We have plenty of outstanding linebackers, we certainly don't need his kind that bad. Davies was suspended for a year for a similar HC violation. At least Davies didn't have pictures taken and published for all the world to see.



Get him off the team, he is not deserving of BYU.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
golong wrote:
Davies was suspended for a year for a similar HC violation. At least Davies didn't have pictures taken and published for all the world to see.


Not really. Davies has two kids--both fathered while he was at BYU, and last I checked he still isn't married.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.