Archived Topic

Idiots among us

by KingCoug · 9/23/2013

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
If you believe Bronco and Anae are going to get us regular double digit win seasons, without a relatively easy MWC schedule, you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco and Anae are ever going to defeat the "Big Boy" teams on a meaningful, consistent basis, you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco and Anae are ever going to bring BYU football back to "national prominence," you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco and Anae are ever going to win more than 1/3 of the rivalry games against Utah, you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco and Anae are ever going to make up what BYU lacks in recruiting, through superior coaching and preparation, you're an idiot.



If you believe BYU's woes are primarily a player problem, and not a bigger problem related to coaching scheme and effectiveness that has lasted over several years, you're an idiot.



If you believe Anae is ever going to move beyond his vanilla, predictable, and repetitive play calling, you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco is ever going to move beyond being just a very good defensive coordinator and a slightly above average head coach, to being a great head coach and a true "gamer," you're an idiot.



If you believe being a true BYU fan is being positive simply for the sake of being positive, you're an idiot.
G
Guest
This post is stupid.
A
ABYUFAN
KingCoug wrote:
If you believe Bronco and Anae are going to get us regular double digit win seasons, without a relatively easy MWC schedule, you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco and Anae are ever going to defeat the "Big Boy" teams on a meaningful, consistent basis, you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco and Anae are ever going to bring BYU football back to "national prominence," you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco and Anae are ever going to win more than 1/3 of the rivalry games against Utah, you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco and Anae are ever going to make up what BYU lacks in recruiting, through superior coaching and preparation, you're an idiot.



If you believe BYU's woes are primarily a player problem, and not a bigger problem related to coaching scheme and effectiveness that has lasted over several years, you're an idiot.



If you believe Anae is ever going to move beyond his vanilla, predictable, and repetitive play calling, you're an idiot.



If you believe Bronco is ever going to move beyond being just a very good defensive coordinator and a slightly above average head coach, to being a great head coach and a true "gamer," you're an idiot.



If you believe being a true BYU fan is being positive simply for the sake of being positive, you're an idiot.




Oh I was an idiot long before any of the above applied to me. Many will tell you that I'm an idiot because I believe that Noah actually built an ark, as the Bible says he did. I believed that back in 1977 or so.



I only discovered BYU football in 1982 or so. So I thank you for your assessment of my mental health (for whatever its worth) but please don't become offended as I continue my campaign of idiocy for another 40 or so years...
K
KingCoug
hawkwing wrote:
This post is stupid.


Your post isn't stupid. It just didn't add anything of substance. But keep trying.


ABYUFAN wrote:
Oh I was an idiot long before any of the above applied to me. Many will tell you that I'm an idiot because I believe that Noah actually built an ark, as the Bible says he did. I believed that back in 1977 or so.


For the record, Noah did build an ark, just as the Bible says, but that's neither here nor there.



And we don't need to go all the way back to 1982. 2005 to the present is a big enough sample size.
J
jonnylingo
Some people have unrealistic expecations. Lets not forget we are BYU, not Alabama. We have a limited recruiting base and despite that Bronco has done well in keeping us in the top 25 or close to it. Just chill. Had one more play gone our way on Saturday your whole opinion would probably be different.



I still have Bronco's back. I however have not been impressed with Anae and have questions GFGH from the beginning. But i have always said that it will be about six games in before our offense starts to really click. if that happens we will be a top 25 team again by year's end.



we have also had bad luck with injuries at corner and nose tackle.



taysom is young. i am willing to give him more time. the thought of ammon at qb and taysom as a running back is intriguing however.



if i was to fire someone it woudl be holladay unfortunately. the receivers have been very unrealiable. i feel like falslev and hoffman are our only two receivers that are money. Anae also struggles mightily making adjustments.



but i am still on the Bronco bandwagon and I still support my team. I am not even close to getting rid of my season tickets or stopping going to each game. our players battled and never gave up on Saturday. you can't give up on a team thatdoes that. I am just coming to the reality that byu is not as good as I hoped. The one thing that can be said is thatour coaches are certainly lower my expectations for success. i hope that our recruiting continues to imrpove. this will probably help more than anything. the 2015 class is looking pretty amazing so far. hopefully we have learned that recruiting oline players is number one priority for byu. we can live with slower shorter receivers but we can't live without a dominant oline. it is also an area that we should be able to recruit.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
KingCoug wrote:
This post is stupid.


Your post isn't stupid. It just didn't add anything of substance. But keep trying.


ABYUFAN wrote:
Oh I was an idiot long before any of the above applied to me. Many will tell you that I'm an idiot because I believe that Noah actually built an ark, as the Bible says he did. I believed that back in 1977 or so.


For the record, Noah did build an ark, just as the Bible says, but that's neither here nor there.



And we don't need to go all the way back to 1982. 2005 to the present is a big enough sample size.

You believe that too!? Well, I have a number of friends that would call you an idiot as well then. Welcome to the club. Acceptance of the diagnosis of “idiot” by complete and total strangers is sublime!
K
KingCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
Some people have unrealistic expecations. Lets not forget we are BYU, not Alabama. We have a limited recruiting base and despite that Bronco has done well in keeping us in the top 25 or close to it. Just chill. Had one more play gone our way on Saturday your whole opinion would probably be different.



I still have Bronco's back. I however have not been impressed with Anae and have questions GFGH from the beginning. But i have always said that it will be about six games in before our offense starts to really click. if that happens we will be a top 25 team again by year's end.



we have also had bad luck with injuries at corner and nose tackle.



taysom is young. i am willing to give him more time. the thought of ammon at qb and taysom as a running back is intriguing however.



if i was to fire someone it woudl be holladay unfortunately. the receivers have been very unrealiable. i feel like falslev and hoffman are our only two receivers that are money. Anae also struggles mightily making adjustments.



but i am still on the Bronco bandwagon and I still support my team. I am not even close to getting rid of my season tickets or stopping going to each game. our players battled and never gave up on Saturday. you can't give up on a team thatdoes that. I am just coming to the reality that byu is not as good as I hoped. The one thing that can be said is thatour coaches are certainly lower my expectations for success. i hope that our recruiting continues to imrpove. this will probably help more than anything. the 2015 class is looking pretty amazing so far. hopefully we have learned that recruiting oline players is number one priority for byu. we can live with slower shorter receivers but we can't live without a dominant oline. it is also an area that we should be able to recruit.


Yes, some fans do have unrealistic expectations but I'm not one of them. I understand the program enough to know we're not Alabama. Which is precisely why I see the importance for BYU making up what we lack in recruiting through strategic scheduling and superior coaching. The model for doing that, at least until recently anyway, has been Boise State. The problem is Bronco isn't a gamer like Petersen is.



I defended Bronco and had his back for years. Probably longer than I should have. But when we don't have a conference championship to work towards (and I can live with that), and we sure as heck aren't going undefeated any time soon, what is there left to play for? Beating Utah. And Bronco has failed to do that 4 times in a row now. A lot of self-respecting schools would fire their coach if he lost to their arch-rival four times in a row.



I'll always support BYU, even when it makes me sick to watch the team play. But I don't have confidence in Bronco and Anae anymore. But maybe that's because I'm no longer satisfied with simply being a Top 25 team every now and again. Nobody is saying we have to be Alabama. But we need to do much more than we've done under Bronco so far. 2006-2009 we under-performed and, since then, it's been a disaster.
G
Guest
KingCoug wrote:
This post is stupid.


Your post isn't stupid. It just didn't add anything of substance. But keep trying.


I was wondering if you would pick up on that easy setup I gave you. Congrats, I didn't think you would be able to after your initial post.



While we're listing dumb personal opinions and idiots... I have a few I believe in too.



If you like Pepsi more than Coke, you're an idiot.



If you prefer Crest to Colgate, you're an idiot.



If you think Chevy makes a decent automobile, you're an idiot.



If you think 9/11 is hiding a vast conspiracy, you're an idiot.



If you think hotdog prices are too high, you're an idiot.



If you think there's a better active LDS coach out there for BYU, you're an idiot.



If you think rat tails are making a comeback, you're an idiot.



If you believe everyone who doesn't share your opinion is an idiot, you're an idiot.
A
a1247
Your an idiot if you think there's a coach out there that can fix all these problems while doing it with all the restrictions that will be placed on him as the coach of BYU.
K
KingCoug
hawkwing wrote:
I was wondering if you would pick up on that easy setup I gave you. Congrats, I didn't think you would be able to after your initial post.



While we're listing dumb personal opinions and idiots... I have a few I believe in too.



If you like Pepsi more than Coke, you're an idiot.



If you prefer Crest to Colgate, you're an idiot.



If you think Chevy makes a decent automobile, you're an idiot.



If you think 9/11 is hiding a vast conspiracy, you're an idiot.



If you think hotdog prices are too high, you're an idiot.



If you think there's a better active LDS coach out there for BYU, you're an idiot.



If you think rat tails are making a comeback, you're an idiot.



If you believe everyone who doesn't share your opinion is an idiot, you're an idiot.


The fact that you keep babbling away, without addressing the points I made in the original post, suggests you've got nothing to show I'm wrong.


a1247 wrote:
Your an idiot if you think there's a coach out there that can fix all these problems while doing it with all the restrictions that will be placed on him as the coach of BYU.


I'm assuming by "all the restrictions" you're simply referring to the Honor Code. Is anyone going to tell me that a lot of football players want to live in Boise, Idaho? Because that's a bunch of hooey. Maybe a good chunk of them would consider Boise State more now, because of it's winning ways, but it's not like Boise is anymore attractive than BYU and it's Honor Code.



One could argue Chris Petersen had similar limitations in his recruiting pool, though more geographic than religious based, but he has been successful anyway. He's a great head coach (not just a coordinator trying to be a head coach) and he's able to build a complete team (not just one side of the ball).



Nobody is saying all these problems can be fixed overnight but they can be fixed. To think 10 or 11 wins, a Top 25 ranking, and beating Utah is the best BYU fans can hope for is pathetic/loser talk.
Advertisement
B
brpajense
I get that passionate fans want to see their team win, but a campaign to turn over the entire coaching staff following a season opening loss isn't smart.



Firing a head coach midseason is saying that you don't care if we win another game the rest of the season. There are not many good good candidates available until the season ends--good coaches have jobs and will consider switching in the offseason, but you don't want a coach who'd abandon his team in the middle of a season.



It also jeopardizes next year's recruiting class. Coaches who've worked built a relationship with someone on the staff and commit to that coach might change their minds and switch schools. BYU's recruiting is trickier because your key selling point is that it's a church school rather than you're dealing primarily with LDS athletes instead of focusing on certain regions.



In the future, it's harder to hire coaches. Schools with loyal fans are more appealing than schools with high expectations who will turn on you one game into the season. When Urban Meyer was considered the most available coach in college football, he turned down Notre Dame--not because of the money they were offering or because it wasn't visible enough--but because there were other problems with the job that would interfere with his job success. BYU is already offering below market wages for head coaches.



Like it or not, you're stuck with who we've got for the rest of the season and most likely next season.



If you get your wish and we fire everyone, then we're looking at a decade of rebuilding.



**Edit for grammar.
K
KingCoug
brpajense wrote:
I get that passionate fans want to see their team win, but a campaign to turn over the entire coaching staff following a season opening loss isn't smart.



Firing a head coach midseason is saying that you don't care if we win another game the rest of the season. There are not many good good candidates available until the season ends--good coaches have jobs and will consider switching in the offseason, but you don't want a coach who'd abandon his team in the middle of a season.



It also jeopardizes next year's recruiting class. Coaches who've worked built a relationship with someone on the staff and commit to that coach might change their minds and switch schools. BYU's recruiting is trickier because your key selling point is that it's a church school rather than and you're dealing primarily with LDS athletes instead of everyone in certain regions.



In the future, it's harder to hire coaches. Schools with loyal fans is more appealing than schools with high expectations who will turn on you one game into the season. When Urban Meyer was considered the most available coach in college football, he turned down Notre Dame--not because of the money they were offering or because it wasn't visible enough--but because there were other problems with the job that would interfere with his job success. BYU is already offering below market wages for head coaches.



Like it or not, you're stuck with who we've got for the rest of the season and most likely next season.



If you get your wish and we fire everyone, then we're looking at a decade of rebuilding.


Personally, I wouldn't let anyone go until the end of the season. But definitely would after that.



And the salary problem is another thing that BYU is going to have to change if it wants success in the form of a "return to national prominence." I don't know if it's Tom Homoe's job to convince the BOT of that or what, but he needs to.
S
SpiffCoug
I think we'll go ahead and stop calling each other idiots.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.