Archived Topic

Utah as Bowl Opponent

by Wickchad · 9/23/2013

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
How many wins does Utah need to get for a rematch in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? I believe the bowl gets the 6th place Pac 12 team. If Utah has 7 wins would that get them there? I assume if they only have 6 that they would be 8th or 9th in the Pac 12 and wouldn't have a chance of being selected 6th. To get 7 wins that means they need to beat USC, AZ, WSU, and CU. Not likely, but I guess it is probable.



I would love nothing more than a rematch with Utah. Why wait two years to play them when we can play them twice in one year.



I really hope we don't draw USC because we'd likely get shut out with how good their front seven is.
S
SpiffCoug
At a minimum, Utah needs three more wins from the following games:

vs #13 UCLA

vs #5 Stanford

at Arizona

at USC

vs Arizona St

at #2 Oregon

at Washington St

vs Colorado



I think the USC game is the make/break game for the Utes. I think they lose their next three (UCLA, Stanford & Arizona) and then lose to Arizona St as well. I know they lose to Oregon. They should be able to beat Washington St & Colorado. But WSU is improved so who knows.



Of course, at a minimum, BYU needs FIVE more wins from the following games:

vs Middle Tennessee

at Utah St

vs Georgia Tech

at Houston

vs Boise St

at Wisconsin

vs Idaho St

at Notre Dame

at Nevada
C
Cougs_Rule
Let me beat Bib, Jacksonman, Northern, (and did I leave anybody out?),



BIG presumption that BYU even makes 6 wins to get to a rematch.
W
Wickchad
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Let me beat Bib, Jacksonman, Northern, (and did I leave anybody out?),



BIG presumption that BYU even makes 6 wins to get to a rematch.


Even with only being able to run on offense I think we have 4 wins with these:



MTSU

Houston

Idaho State

Nevada



This game is most likely a win:

Georgia Tech



These games are tough but winnable:

Utah State

Boise State



These games are probably losses:

Wisconsin

Notre Dame



I think we get 7 wins this season. We have a much easier path to a bowl game at this point than Utah and we are starting with 1 win and they already have 3.
B
BYULV
Wouldn't it be sweet to have a rematch with Utah this year at a time of year when our offense has matured into what we envisioned. A win would throw it back in Whittinghams face, "Our seniors have never lost to these guys. So I guess our Juniors and Sophomores will never lose to these guys either." Would love to see this happen. I just don't like the way he refers to our team as "These guys", like its a dirty group. He did the same thing when he was wishing Jamal Williams would be ok. He couldn't think of his first name, much less his last name. He just called him, "That Williams kid" after stuttering through. I'm now excited to see the stars align for a rematch. :evil:
Advertisement
J
jacksonman
First of all, let me say nothing would make me happier than a re-match with the Utes at the end of the season IF we make some major changes and the work (new QB, better play calling or new OTC, Hadley back, Badger ready, or even Trammel ready, etc).



This is how I see it:



At a minimum, Utah needs three more wins from the following games:

vs #13 UCLA 50% (UCLA tends to choke on the road in Utah)

vs #5 Stanford 10%

at Arizona 50%

at USC 40%

vs Arizona St 40%

at #2 Oregon 5%

at Washington St 65%

vs Colorado 70%



I do think they will get to 3 wins.



Of course, at a minimum, BYU needs FIVE more wins from the following games:

vs Middle Tennessee W

at Utah St L

vs Georgia Tech W

at Houston W

vs Boise St W

at Wisconsin L

vs Idaho St W

at Notre Dame 50/50

at Nevada 50/50



I think BYU will at least get to 6 and maybe 7. Slight chance for 8 if our coaches can make some major changes and they work.



I may actually have to root for the Utes to win a few games for the chance at a rematch!
S
scott715
No, let them lose and sit at home again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolfman
Utah won't even make bowl eligibility this year... they're staring at 6 straight losses (UCLA, Stanford, Arizona, USC, Arizona State and Oregon). Each of those 6 schools is currently ranked 10, 9, 20, 27, 19 and 2 respectively. The Utes are sitting at #42, but that's probably being generous as they're probably closer to 50 or so. BYU has a better shot at being bowl eligible than Utah because if the Utes lose their next 6, they ain't going bowling. They may not even beat Washington State. And Colorado surprised them two years ago in the last game of the year in SLC. The Utes have no gimmes, whereas BYU has 4 gimmes right now (MTSU, Houston, Idaho State and Nevada). That means all they gotta do is win one vs. Utah State, Georgia Tech, Boise State, Wisconsin or Notre Dame... they should win at least one of those.
C
Cougarbib
Wickchad84087 wrote:
How many wins does Utah need to get for a rematch in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? I believe the bowl gets the 6th place Pac 12 team. If Utah has 7 wins would that get them there? I assume if they only have 6 that they would be 8th or 9th in the Pac 12 and wouldn't have a chance of being selected 6th. To get 7 wins that means they need to beat USC, AZ, WSU, and CU. Not likely, but I guess it is probable.



I would love nothing more than a rematch with Utah. Why wait two years to play them when we can play them twice in one year.



I really hope we don't draw USC because we'd likely get shut out with how good their front seven is.


Bowls hate rematches. And 0-5 would be tough to swallow for 2 years, but I am with you - play them every week. Seriously. Then both teams would have to treat it like just another game because it would be. But yeah - tee it up again in December. Yeah.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.