Archived Topic

3 coaching changes I'd like to see

by jvquarterback · 9/23/2013

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
1. Go for it on fourth and 1 when your net punt will likely be <40 yards.



2. Don't run stupid trick option plays on 1st and goal at the 4 yd line. Run a good option play on 3rd and goal at the 2 yard line.



3a. Never, never, ever call a timeout on offense on 4th down with 2:00 left to play and you've got 3 timeouts left and you're trailing. BYU should have 1:05 left to score on the last drive.

3b. Teach clock management to your QB. I could chalk this up to a sophomore QB not knowing what to do but it has been a problem the last eight years so I'm thinking not.



That's all. Maybe BYU doesn't win with those changes but they score more points if they do.
S
SpiffCoug
jvquarterback wrote:
1. Go for it on fourth and 1 when your net punt will likely be <40 yards.



2. Don't run stupid trick option plays on 1st and goal at the 4 yd line. Run a good option play on 3rd and goal at the 2 yard line.



3a. Never, never, ever call a timeout on offense on 4th down with 2:00 left to play and you've got 3 timeouts left and you're trailing. BYU should have 1:05 left to score on the last drive.

3b. Teach clock management to your QB. I could chalk this up to a sophomore QB not knowing what to do but it has been a problem the last eight years so I'm thinking not.



That's all. Maybe BYU doesn't win with those changes but they score more points if they do.

Agreed.

1. BYU should have gone for it on 4th & 1. If you can't get 1 yard, you don't deserve to win.



2. Yep. Spot on.



3a. BYU's time management at the end of this game - once again - was abysmal. It cost BYU at least 35 seconds of game time. BYU could have had over a minute to try to move the ball. Instead they had 70 yards to go in 30 seconds.
C
Cougs_Rule
It wasn't even one full yard on 4th and 1. And where it was (midfield). If its deep in BYU territory, I get the punt.



Two time outs that didnt happen and should have.

1st--fourth and 13 for Utah on their last drive. They had to punt. BYU lost 40 seconds. There could have been 1:20 no the clock and not 33 seconds (numbers not exact)

2nd--3rd and 10 in BYUs last drive. The O was rattled, desperate and confused. It was far too late to call TO on 4th and 13.



One other change: don't make your tailback be a battering ram on 4and 1 and get practically speared and decapitated. LASIKE!!!!
J
jvquarterback
Really I'd go for just change #1. Not going for it on 4th and short inside the opponent's 35 is absurd.
G
Guest
Can someone remind me what drive it was that BYU got inside the opponent 35 and had 4th and 1 and didn't go for it? Trying to get my drives straight.
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
hawkwing wrote:
Can someone remind me what drive it was that BYU got inside the opponent 35 and had 4th and 1 and didn't go for it? Trying to get my drives straight.


My bad. Got the punt from the Wisc 32 yd line on 4th and 9 and another punt on 4th and 3 late in the game mixed up. Both bad calls though.
F
frdbtr
I think BYU would have gone for it on 4th down both of those times if they had more trust in the Oline. I know Bronco is pretty conservative but he has shown the guts to go on 4th in previous years. This year the Oline is just terrible and so they have no faith in them to get the push needed to pick up down and distance on 4th.
S
SpiffCoug
BYU's 3rd & 4th downs vs Wisconsin:

1st Quarter:

3rd & 12: INC

4th & 12: 45 Punt



3rd & 7: INT



3rd & 7: INC

4th & 7: 31-yd FG



2nd Quarter:

3rd & 8: 23-yd run



3rd & 10: 12-yd pass



3rd & 8: False Start, -5 yards

3rd & 13: 0-yd run

4th & 13: 32-yd Punt (I believe this is the punt from the 32)



3rd & 5: 7-yd pass



3rd & 8: INC

4th & 8: 29-yd punt



3rd & 9: 6-yd run

4th & 3: 35-yd punt (not sure the field position for this one)



3rd Quarter

3rd & 8: 6-yd sack

4th & 14: 38-yd punt



3rd & 1: Wisc offsides



3rd & 5: 9-yd run



3rd & 12: 3-yd run

4th & 9: 73-yd punt



4th Quarter:

3rd & 2: -1-yd run

4th & 3: -5 Substitution penalty

4th & 8: 43-yd punt



3rd & 9: 30-yd pass



3rd & 9: INC

4th & 9: 38-yd punt



3rd & Goal: -3-yd run

4th & Goal: 5-yd TD pass



3rd & 6: 8-yd run



3rd & 1: 11-yd run



3rd & 7: INC
G
Guest
I know there was the one 4th down and 4 BYU was going for until a mixup with the players caused 12 men penalty pushing it to 4th and 9 from our own side of the field. Wish we could have gotten that one and could have without the dumb penalty.
N
NDCougar
Agree on all points above. I want to see more emotion from the staff and I want to see this translated to the players. We have looked flat too often. The players come across as all business vs playing with emotion and I think this comes from above.



Love or hate the Utes they come to play against BYU. I would love to see Bronco get players amped for big games, we looked flat in a few games we played (Utah, WI come to mind).
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
NDCougar wrote:
Love or hate the Utes they come to play against BYU. I would love to see Bronco get players amped for big games, we looked flat in a few games we played (Utah, WI come to mind).

There is NOTHING to be gained from how Utah approaches games and seasons. They are a team that is routinely beaten and out-coahced by more teams than BYU is.



Sure, Utah approaches the BYU differently and plays better in that game than in any other game each year. But I wouldn't trade one phenomenal performace for the rest of their season.
N
NDCougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
Love or hate the Utes they come to play against BYU. I would love to see Bronco get players amped for big games, we looked flat in a few games we played (Utah, WI come to mind).

There is NOTHING to be gained from how Utah approaches games and seasons. They are a team that is routinely beaten and out-coahced by more teams than BYU is.



Sure, Utah approaches the BYU differently and plays better in that game than in any other game each year. But I wouldn't trade one phenomenal performace for the rest of their season.




Did I say trade in the season for one game? I did not say that nor imply it.



What I did say is BYU is lacking the big game mentality. Face it Utah has done a better job and the numbers show it (look at their record vs BYU, BCS games, wins vs top teams, bowl game records). The team that has the right mentality wins and we have not had "it". This is not a debate on Utah, but what BYU has done in big games.



How often do we really look ready for big games? Rarely. We look flat too often and sometimes hang our hat on beating quality programs when they are down. The focus should be on beating all programs. These are kids who need to be motivated not just "business as usual", the top coaches in CFB are motivators not just business.



We have looked flat too often. We were flat against UVA (we should have blown them out), Utah (Utah came across as more motivated), WI (we seemed all business with no emotion). Three times in a year is too much for me. There is not one team we have not had a chance against, we should have one loss to date.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.