Archived Topic

Do You Still Love And Support BYU Football?

by Cougarbib · 9/23/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I do. Realistically, I have been through the fire the coaches and bring in Andy Reid kind of nonsense enough to know reality. I remember football when LaVell was just a defensive coach. I remember the scandal that happened when the guy before LaVell brought in a bunch of ex Marines. Tommy Hudspeth. I remember the Gary Crowton years. I saw what tougher schedules did to Detmer and to LaVell and Norm's fan support.



Sure - I would give AO a look see Friday night. IDK if he is any better. Worth a look.



I would not play Apo unless he runs correct routes and fights for the ball.



I pray that J Dub is ok. Whether he plays another down or not.



I hope experience brings improvement for this young offense.



I love my cougars. They need fan support. I am disappointed. I do not see a quick fix. I do love and support the players and coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes.

But Bib, you might get a more accurate/better reposnse if you create a continuum of responses. Instead of "all or nothing" . I think last night dropped the love meter for most fans a few to several notches.
1
1967cougar
I was thinking late last night....

Suppose there were a team I hardly ever heard of, say Western Iowa Tech. I only knew about them by seeing their scores occasionally. My Dad attended there in the 40s so I had a passing interest in them. I don't know their coach's name but I hear they are going to a hurry up offensive scheme. Out of curiosity I start to follow them. They win one game by a blowout - clicked on all cylinders. The other two were heartbreaking losses.



I would probably shrug my shoulders and write it off to growing pains. I would expect it to take a year or so to get things working as they should.



Relating that to BYU, I just don't understand all those who think the ship is sinking. Give it some time. Expect a few losses. Eat some crow. Live to fight an other day.
J
jacksonman
1967cougar wrote:
I was thinking late last night....

Suppose there were a team I hardly ever heard of, say Western Iowa Tech. I only knew about them by seeing their scores occasionally. My Dad attended there in the 40s so I had a passing interest in them. I don't know their coach's name but I hear they are going to a hurry up offensive scheme. Out of curiosity I start to follow them. They win one game by a blowout - clicked on all cylinders. The other two were heartbreaking losses.



I would probably shrug my shoulders and write it off to growing pains. I would expect it to take a year or so to get things working as they should.



Relating that to BYU, I just don't understand all those who think the ship is sinking. Give it some time. Expect a few losses. Eat some crow. Live to fight an other day.


The ship has already sunk. It has been 4 years of the same thing (no offense) and 7 years of under-performing. We aren't outsiders looking in as fans. We are fans, active followers, and know how much better it could and should be but for some stupid decisions and attitudes by the coaches.



What would it take for you to actually think the ship was thinking? Is 4 and 7 years not enough?
B
BYULV
Yes. Why would I lose love or support for BYU Football simply because they lose to Utah. I don't support BYU Football simply because they beat up on Utah in the past, so it makes sense that my support for them is unchanged when they lose. When they start to compromise what they stand for and become just another football team, then I could see myself being more fickle with my support when they win or lose. Until then, my support for BYU Football, bronco mendenhall, Taysom Hill and the rest goes unchanged.
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
BYULV wrote:
Yes. Why would I lose love or support for BYU Football simply because they lose to Utah. I don't support BYU Football simply because they beat up on Utah in the past, so it makes sense that my support for them is unchanged when they lose. When they start to compromise what they stand for and become just another football team, then I could see myself being more fickle with my support when they win or lose. Until then, my support for BYU Football, bronco mendenhall, Taysom Hill and the rest goes unchanged.


+1!!!
B
BYULV
jacksonman wrote:
I was thinking late last night....

Suppose there were a team I hardly ever heard of, say Western Iowa Tech. I only knew about them by seeing their scores occasionally. My Dad attended there in the 40s so I had a passing interest in them. I don't know their coach's name but I hear they are going to a hurry up offensive scheme. Out of curiosity I start to follow them. They win one game by a blowout - clicked on all cylinders. The other two were heartbreaking losses.



I would probably shrug my shoulders and write it off to growing pains. I would expect it to take a year or so to get things working as they should.



Relating that to BYU, I just don't understand all those who think the ship is sinking. Give it some time. Expect a few losses. Eat some crow. Live to fight an other day.


The ship has already sunk. It has been 4 years of the same thing (no offense) and 7 years of under-performing. We aren't outsiders looking in as fans. We are fans, active followers, and know how much better it could and should be but for some stupid decisions and attitudes by the coaches.



What would it take for you to actually think the ship was thinking? Is 4 and 7 years not enough?


It's a loss, not another doomsday sign. Mistakes were made by a young, developing team/system. They will improve. Hill will continue to improve. He looked good in a lot of ways last night. He will make spectacular plays this season and look inept at times. It's just the nature of young players, especially QBs. To give up and say our ship is sunk is short sighted and a knee-jerk reaction. Hope the team gains your confidence back.
D
Ddawg
My support for BYU football is deeper than the W-L record. I absolutely want to win. No doubt. Losing games is painful. Losing to Utah is nauseating. The game last night was tough to watch ....... Uggh! Still, I stand by BYU football, and that includes Bronco Mendenhall as the HC.
B
BoiseBYU
Yes! BYU stands for something that I like and admire. They never gave up and it actually came down to the last 45 seconds or so. I'm not going away....Rise and Shout!
B
BroncoBot
jacksonman wrote:
I was thinking late last night....

Suppose there were a team I hardly ever heard of, say Western Iowa Tech. I only knew about them by seeing their scores occasionally. My Dad attended there in the 40s so I had a passing interest in them. I don't know their coach's name but I hear they are going to a hurry up offensive scheme. Out of curiosity I start to follow them. They win one game by a blowout - clicked on all cylinders. The other two were heartbreaking losses.



I would probably shrug my shoulders and write it off to growing pains. I would expect it to take a year or so to get things working as they should.



Relating that to BYU, I just don't understand all those who think the ship is sinking. Give it some time. Expect a few losses. Eat some crow. Live to fight an other day.


The ship has already sunk. It has been 4 years of the same thing (no offense) and 7 years of under-performing. We aren't outsiders looking in as fans. We are fans, active followers, and know how much better it could and should be but for some stupid decisions and attitudes by the coaches.



What would it take for you to actually think the ship was thinking? Is 4 and 7 years not enough?

So your support for BYU revolves around the utah game? Good to know.
Advertisement
S
SenorCougar
Does it bother you that a member of the Quorum of the Twelve is involved in hiring the football coach? If he is a Utah booster, can he be independent in his selection? Does God really care about athletics, or coaching records? Just wondering?....
B
byucougar1
While I was deeply disappointed In he results of the game, my expectations remain high despite the setbacks. Utah game hurt because of 4 straight losses and not much separates our teams other than we struggle to capitalize on opportunities. Should evaluate potential changes based upon harmony, unity of team and output. How many more difficult loses we can handle will be based upon our pain threshold and level of optimism.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
jacksonman wrote:
The ship has already sunk. It has been 4 years of the same thing (no offense) and 7 years of under-performing. We aren't outsiders looking in as fans. We are fans, active followers, and know how much better it could and should be but for some stupid decisions and attitudes by the coaches.



What would it take for you to actually think the ship was thinking? Is 4 and 7 years not enough?


Yup. The thing is, those people who don't see this by now, are never going to see it. We've seen the same thing year after year and, after a while, it's like the sun coming up. Eventually, you start to trust it.



It's as if they think Bronco and Anae are going to change or somehow get it done. Maybe their definition of "get it done" is different than your's or mine. Maybe they are content with simply having a winning season, beating Utah once in a while, and running a clean program. Well, that isn't enough for me and for a lot of fans. And it's not what Bronco, himself, said he wanted for the program. He said he wanted to return BYU to a position of "national prominence." The problem is, he's shown he doesn't have the ability to do that. Neither does Anae.



Those of us who are seeking change do so precisely because we are BYU fans and aren't content with continually under-performing. Simply keeping a positive attitude, for the sake of being positive, is just plain stupid. That's not really being a fan. It's living in denial. Or at least setting the bar so low that it really doesn't matter what BYU accomplishes.
F
Fido
I said don't know because I felt like the responses that went with yes or no were kind of manipulative. I'm a fan and will be regardless of the record. But I'm not a "fire this guy/hire that guy" kind of fan.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Yes.

But Bib, you might get a more accurate/better reposnse if you create a continuum of responses. Instead of "all or nothing" . I think last night dropped the love meter for most fans a few to several notches.




There sure has been a bit of let the heads roll noise, but like LDS Ute fans, the silent majority sit back and let a few like you and me make a ton of noise. But the silent majority does vote more than they comment. I get that nearly everyone is disappointed at some level - but how many want to see a beheading besides Wolfman, Jacksonman and his imaginary wife with the cold feet, Blue is Better, and a guy or two stuck living somewhere where nobody cares about BYU. IDK. So I was really curious to see.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Fido wrote:
I said don't know because I felt like the responses that went with yes or no were kind of manipulative. I'm a fan and will be regardless of the record. But I'm not a "fire this guy/hire that guy" kind of fan.


You got it correctly. This is do you want heads to roll poll. This is looking to see how much the silent majority agrees with the vocal posters.



The YES choice - means hey - I am frustrated, annoyed, disappointed - but I am not ready for a coup.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Cougarbib wrote:



You got it correctly. This is do you want heads to roll poll. This is looking to see how much the silent majority agrees with the vocal posters.



The YES choice - means hey - I am frustrated, annoyed, disappointed - but I am not ready for a coup.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The question is, at which point will you guys finally be ready? I thought I held out pretty long. But after seeing us under-perform in 2007-2009, and the train wreck that it's been from 2010-present (including 4 straight losses to the U), I see no point in still holding out hope that anything is going to change. Bronco and Anae may get us back to double digit wins. Heck, we might even beat the U again under them. But they won't get us to an undefeated season, let alone national prominence.
M
Mars


I'm taking my family to the MTSU game, and I'll be wearing my BYU blues.



Also, Bronco has failed as a head coach. The best result for BYU would be to demote him to defensive coordinator.
R
rblack
Losing to Utah was not in my vision for the season, however, it happened. It's over. Let's move on.

I loved and supported BYU through the Crowton years. The Bronco years make it easy to support BYU by comparison.

What exist now are a few questions.

Do we have a good coaching staff? I think the answer is, yes. BYU would not be a better team with anyone else as a head coach. There might be some head coaches that might possibly win more games on occasion, however, they would make me less enthusiastic about my support. However, I doubt that such coaches even exist that would be able to work within the framework of BYU athletics. It is my opinion that Bronco Mendenhall would consistently compete for a national championship at any other school. At BYU, I believe he is our best shot to get there. I also believe that the new missionary age will help immensely due to regulating the comings and goings of missionaries. The benefit to that change won't be felt for a few years, but it is coming.

Are we playing the best Quarterback? I think so. He is still raw, it looks like there's some growing pains, however, I think the upside is huge.

Has Utah surpassed us as a program? I don't think so. BYU is definitely going through a low point, however, I see BYU as a team that is on its way up, whereas, Utah is a team that I believe is on its way down.

That said, I did not vote on the poll because I found no answer that I could even remotely support. I love BYU football. Period, end of statement. They could lose to Utah ten games straight :sick: :sick: and that would not change.
1
1967cougar
jacksonman wrote:
I was thinking late last night....

Suppose there were a team I hardly ever heard of, say Western Iowa Tech. I only knew about them by seeing their scores occasionally. My Dad attended there in the 40s so I had a passing interest in them. I don't know their coach's name but I hear they are going to a hurry up offensive scheme. Out of curiosity I start to follow them. They win one game by a blowout - clicked on all cylinders. The other two were heartbreaking losses.



I would probably shrug my shoulders and write it off to growing pains. I would expect it to take a year or so to get things working as they should.



Relating that to BYU, I just don't understand all those who think the ship is sinking. Give it some time. Expect a few losses. Eat some crow. Live to fight an other day.


The ship has already sunk. It has been 4 years of the same thing (no offense) and 7 years of under-performing. We aren't outsiders looking in as fans. We are fans, active followers, and know how much better it could and should be but for some stupid decisions and attitudes by the coaches.



What would it take for you to actually think the ship was thinking? Is 4 and 7 years not enough?


Having been a loyal and ardently faithful BYU Cougar fan and follower for over 50 years, I tend to look at the entire landscape, not just a snapshot of the last 4 and 7 years. As with any unpleasant situation, I know that "this, too, shall pass." I just feel we need to give it more time and not demand change right now. I'm not saying I'm right. I'm a married man and quite used to not being right very often! But I don't believe the ship has sunk. It's listing for sure. Capt. Riley Nelson, who caused the list, should have stayed in command of the USS Aggie instead of coming to our fine vessel. But I think Admiral Bronco is doing what he can and should be given the rest of this season at least to see if it rights itself.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.