Archived Topic

Weis is done at Notre Dame

by gmj81 · 11/30/2009

Advertisement
G
gmj81
I'd like to say "enjoy eating that contract for the next few years ND" but everyone knows its just a drop in the bucket.
B
BYUTIME
Ha ha you know who.
G
gmj81
I couldn't possibly imagine who you could be talking about but it's not very classy to laugh at some individual's misfortune.
F
frdbtr
gmj81 wrote:
I couldn't possibly imagine who you could be talking about but it's not very classy to laugh at some individual's misfortune.




LOL!
S
snoscythe
gmj81 wrote:
I'd like to say "enjoy eating that contract for the next few years ND" but everyone knows its just a drop in the bucket.


Assuming Weiss hasn't already eaten it.....along with everything else within reach.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
snoscythe wrote:
I'd like to say "enjoy eating that contract for the next few years ND" but everyone knows its just a drop in the bucket.


Assuming Weiss hasn't already eaten it.....along with everything else within reach.


Making fun of fat people isn't very classy :roll:
W
Wickchad
Sounds like Meyer is on his way to South Bend. Last week he was quoted as saying that he doesn't want the ND job and that he was going to be staying in Flordia for a long time. Translation: I'm outta here now that Tebow is gone! Just like with Alex Smith.
C
cougarsunited
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Sounds like Meyer is on his way to South Bend. Last week he was quoted as saying that he doesn't want the ND job and that he was going to be staying in Flordia for a long time. Translation: I'm outta here now that Tebow is gone! Just like with Alex Smith.


If Florida wins the NC he'll go to ND, if not, he'll have another amazing recruiting class coming in, unlike with Utah, there he can compete for a NC almost every year.
G
gmj81
I just don't know. I can't imagine Notre Dame has anything on Florida now. They might offer him a lot of money but you know Florida would match. Seriously, I know Urban said once he always wanted to coach at Notre Dame or Michigan but any remaining nostalgia he might have felt has long since been tossed out the window. Oscar Meyer is all about himself. And at Florida he basically has top pick of the state's (second best recruiting hotbed state) best players to come and play for him. Plus, the academic restrictions are much more lax at Florida and the facilities nearly if not just as good. And it's not like Florida is lacking tradition either.



Not to mention that the pressure to win is so high right now after so much "failure" with the past four or five coaches that it's going to be almost impossible for anyone to come in and win under those conditions unless the fanbase chills a bit.
C
craigoscarson
It doesn't matter who they bring in. This seasons' schedule was cupcake and now Clausen, Tate, and others (plus their only decent olineman is a senior) are leaving.

ND has 5-6 road games next year against teams like USC that started a bunch of underclassmen.

They'll be lucky to win 4 games next season and whoever gets the job, will be painted as a failure.



ND needed to make the right hire after Ty and they didn't and it's going to cost them for a long time. Ty's players were good enough to win a BCS bowl and potentially a national championship. These were the guys that Weis inherited that made him look so good the 1st 2 seasons; and thus ND gave him the moon without realizing it was the players and not the coaching.



Now they have no players and face a daunting road schedule next season. I can't imagine Urban would touch that job right now with a 10 foot pole. He can do no wrong in Florida and he's got access to enough talent year in and year out down there that he can win with. Why take the jump and risk ultimate failure?



ND has 3-4 top recruits coming out of Ohio right now; this is the backyard of Brian Kelly of Cincy. They may need him just to hold onto those recruits.

I doubt every recruit that has committed to ND cares (some commit to ND as fans, like some commit to BYU) but it would be extremely important to me as a parent to know what types of schemes the new coach is going to run, who his assistants are going to be and what type of stability that they are guaranteed.



If Manti Teo went to ND with the assumption that Charlie Weis would be his head coach throughout his career, then he made a huge mistake; now he's stuck hanging, wondering who's coming in and how they're going to use him. That's not a safe place to be. (ultimately Teo had a better shot at a BCS bowl with us, because there is no chance ND sees one in the next 2-3 seasons) You should never commit to a school; you should commit to a football philosophy and team (and hopefully a coaching staff), because much like the Rich Rod situation in Michigan; you might have been recruited as a smash mouth pro-set guy and the next thing you know your team is in a spread offense that doesn't suit your particular skills.



ND will not having a winning record no matter what head coaching they bring in next season (they just dont' have the talent or a favorable schedule) so every recruit has to factor a year of failure into their decision. ND has not yet seen rock bottom.
Advertisement
C
cscoug
All the chatter where I am (Big 12 country) is that Bob Stoops has already agreed in principle to be the next ND coach. The talk is if that happens are Mike Leach or Gary Patterson heading to OU. One caller said that Mike Leach would never leave TT unless it was for BYU. I thought that was an interesting comment.
W
Wickchad
As much fun as it is to bash Meyer, I think he is probably the best coach in the nation. I would actually like to see how quickly he could turn ND around. I would predict that he would have a winning record his first year, a BCS game by his 3rd year, and a national championship within 6 years. It's not like ND isn't stocked with talent and can't recruit even with their academic standards. The right coach who can step in their and change the current culture by kicking butts and weeding out the players who can't hack it will be very successful.
W
Wickchad
cscoug wrote:
All the chatter where I am (Big 12 country) is that Bob Stoops has already agreed in principle to be the next ND coach. The talk is if that happens are Mike Leach or Gary Patterson heading to OU. One caller said that Mike Leach would never leave TT unless it was for BYU. I thought that was an interesting comment.


We don't need a head coach who loves pirates and who's only playing experience was rugby. Beside's we've already locked Andy Reid up as the next head coach once Bronco get's called as a general authority. ;)
L
Lawboy
I think Notre Dame would be smart to hire TCU's Patterson. He is a defensive genius and That is where ND needs help most. They have gone for coaches who focus on O the last 2 times and failed. Kelly at Cincy is another offense first guy whose teams are bad on defense. Patterson is a midwest guy too, so he could recruit ND territory and has Texas roots now. coming from a religious school, he could handle the transition too. I thought Auburn blew it not hiring him. Notre Dame would too if they do not give him a look. He is a great coach.
M
Mingjai
I'm surprised that Patterson isn't getting much mention for the ND position. I'd definitely take him over Kelly.



The other one I'm a little surprised that isn't being considered is Paul Johnson of Georgia Tech. His Navy and Georgia Tech teams have been overachieving--something Notre Dame's teams haven't done for years.
Advertisement
M
Mars


I think there are at least half a dozen coaches who could have the Domers entrenched back in the yearly Top 15 after just a couple of seasons.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
Kelly at Cincy is another offense first guy whose teams are bad on defense.


I'm sorry, but I have to defend my Bearcats. While they might not be a great defensive team, they keep the points off the board (the most important thing) and they are certainly not "bad." I'll chalk this up to yet another person evaluating a team they haven't bothered to watch more than once or twice.



2009 Cincinnati Defensive Rankings:

Rushing Defense 49 (Notre Dame = 89)

Pass Efficiency Defense 37 (Notre Dame = 81)

Total Defense 47 (Notre Dame = 87)

Scoring Defense 19 (Notre Dame = 64)



FWIW, here are the last two years' defensive rankings for the Bearcats (Kelly's first two seasons at Cincy):

2008

Rushing Defense 18

Pass Efficiency Defense 37

Total Defense 37

Scoring Defense 30



2007

Rushing Defense 19

Pass Efficiency Defense 34

Total Defense 50

Scoring Defense 13



While Kelly's lowest ranking in his tenure at Cincinnati was 50 out of 116 in Total defense in 2007, he still managed to be #13 in scoring defense. On the other hand, Weiss didn't make it into the top 1/2 of FBS teams in any major defensive category. I blame that on the fact that he promised a true freshman that he could start at MLB, but I digress. I think Notre Dame would jump at a guy who can put up those defensive numbers, especially considering what his offenses can do.
L
Lawboy
I just think ND has to go D first to win at that school. They will not get all the great skill guys the sun belt teams ever get, but they can play stout D every year with scheme changes and better recruiting. And let's be clear, Patterson can recruit. The guy is the #5 school in Texas--at best--and he still puts together amazing teams with 3-4 star guys, and no real 5 star talent. That is great recruiting and knowing what to look for in a player. To me, the best coaches are the best recruiters and not just X's and O's guys. Recruiting is what wins in college, which is why Urban and Pete Carrol are so good. And recruiting is what is needed to take BYU to the next level. Seems we are on the way.
L
Lawboy
ESPN has the short list as:

Meyer

Kelly

Patterson



Some speculate that if Meyer does take it, he grabs Sanford to be his OC. I think Sanford ends up at Florida with Meyer regardless.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
craigoscarson wrote:
...it would be extremely important to me as a parent to know what types of schemes the new coach is going to run, who his assistants are going to be and what type of stability that they are guaranteed.
Well, to be fair, starting this coming year, their child would at least have the same head coach throughout, since this IS Notre Dame, and they guarantee a coach 5 years (oh, unless that coach is black, in which case it's 3).

:bug:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.