Archived Topic

Where do we go from here? FIRE BRONCO!

by jacksonman · 9/22/2013

Advertisement
J
jacksonman
When Anae 2.0 was announced, I agreed to wait until after the Utah game to judge the decision. I was cautiously optimistic that Anae would have learned from his time in Arizona, added a few wrinkles to his play calling, would be less predictable and would remember what got him fired previously (three runs up the gut against Utah).



Well here we are, 4th straight lose to Utah, 4th straight year of boring football, 4th year of no offense, 4th straight year getting out-coached, 4th year of no reliable QB, and 4th year of "rebuilding," even though our talent 3 of the 4 years was arguably much better than Utah with 3 straight years being favored.



Reality is, we are officially the little sisters to the south, and arguably, the THIRD best team in the state, and that state is Utah, not California or Texas or Florida. Our program may be "clean", but how clean is it when our Captain and Senior Leader is partying in Vegas the week before the opening game?!



Back to Anae, we have an OC who consistently calls two predictable runs up the gut and then throws with a 3rd and 6+ with a QB who can't throw. We have an OC without a trick play in the book. We have an OC who does not know how to call plays to get in the end zone once in the blue zone.



We have a HC that is unwilling to take risks to keep momentum and stubbornly sticks to the original but ineffective game plan. We have a HC who seems to know nothing about offense and is unwilling to really get involved with the offense. We have a HC who hired back an OC after firing him two years previously after making another bad hire at OC.



We have a QB, similar to the past 4 years, who shows moments of potential, followed by some of the most horrific decision making and ability ever, proven by some of the worst PER numbers of all time. All the while, we have "pure passers" waiting in 2nd string. But we are yet to develop a QB in 4 years!



These problems go back FOUR YEARS and arguably more. I truly believed we have underperformed EVERY year with Bronco. For crying out load we had Beck/Hall, with Unga, Pitta and Collie (and Fui) all on the same offense and managed to lose winnable games to keep us out of the BCS.



So where do we go from here? I spent $1800 for two season box seats this year and gave away another $1200 in tickets for my business. As a contributing fan, from my point of view, the performance of the team is unacceptable, boring and a waste of money. And it has been this way for 4 years, full of potential but always underachieving (although the Texas game was a pleasant surprise). I want to support the team, but it is getting really hard to drop money and time (in the fall during the best fishing of the year) when our Team is so predictable, boring and consistently under-performing, especially to our rivals.



I have come to the same conclusion that I had started believing last year. Bronco has got to go. Great DC, great spiritual leader, horrible HC. He is bad with the fans. He is generally bad with the media. He is horrible at clock and game management. Horrible at in-game adjustments. Completely owned by his rival. Constantly under-prepared as a team. Is more loyal to players than focused on winning. Models the team after himself, boring and predictable.



I don't know who should replace him, and I don't think it should happen mid-season. But we need to start learning and we need to make the change at the end of the season as soon as we find a replacement.



I have lost faith in him and his program. We gave him three years with independence and it just hasn't worked out. Time to let him go.



Really needed to vent and get some thoughts out. But am I alone in my thoughts?
S
SpiffCoug
I'm close. My one hesitation right now is Ammon Olsen. I"m not sold on him. I haven't seen enough of him. But I have seen enough of THill. THill simply cannot run this GFGH offense because he cannot throw the football with enough efficiency, accuracy or consistency to move the ball.



I want to see what Anae can do with a QB who can complete passes at this pace & tempo. Is Olsen that guy? I don't know. But I think it's time to find out.
K
KingCoug
Amen and Amen.



Like I said in another thread, 2006 was Bronco's best year. And it's been downhill since then. And it's not going to get better with him and Anae leading the way. These guys just don't have the answers.



I actually believe Hill still has the potential if coached right. But not under Anae's system.
B
BigCougsFan
Y'all are Texas Longhorn fans.



This is ridiculous.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarfan87
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm close. My one hesitation right now is Ammon Olsen. I"m not sold on him. I haven't seen enough of him. But I have seen enough of THill. THill simply cannot run this GFGH offense because he cannot throw the football with enough efficiency, accuracy or consistency to move the ball.



I want to see what Anae can do with a QB who can complete passes at this pace & tempo. Is Olsen that guy? I don't know. But I think it's time to find out.


Agree. I don't have a problem with the offensive philosophy. We got a proof of concept against Texas. However, Hill, after three games of terrible accuracy, needs to spend some time cooling his fatigued heels on the bench. Or rest his arm and play as a scat back.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
BigCougsFan wrote:
Y'all are Texas Longhorn fans.



This is ridiculous.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That's right. We have to be all smiles and sunshine, even when we lose 4 in a row to our rival, or we're not fans.



Get it through your head, chump, we're pissed off precisely because we are fans. And we're sick of seeing this same sad show over and over again.
M
mizzoucoug
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm close. My one hesitation right now is Ammon Olsen. I"m not sold on him. I haven't seen enough of him. But I have seen enough of THill. THill simply cannot run this GFGH offense because he cannot throw the football with enough efficiency, accuracy or consistency to move the ball.



I want to see what Anae can do with a QB who can complete passes at this pace & tempo. Is Olsen that guy? I don't know. But I think it's time to find out.


Agreed. I think it's time to put Bronco on notice. We've heard all the reasons to keep him around (Who fills in? But the program is clean! yada yada yada). This IS a football program and I believe the key is to win. I would actually venture to say Bronco is close to done and he knows it.
J
jonnylingo
we had improvements. a couple small breaks and we would all be singing praises and happy right now. they played as well as they good. utah managed to stop our running game. taysom was not capable of beatting them with his arm. d did their part. offense sputtered. refs sure didn't help.



i think if anybody needs to be fired i would fired hollady. our receivers suck! thank goodness for hoffman and falsleve. ridly couldn't even catch tonight.
W
Wolfman
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm close. My one hesitation right now is Ammon Olsen. I"m not sold on him. I haven't seen enough of him. But I have seen enough of THill. THill simply cannot run this GFGH offense because he cannot throw the football with enough efficiency, accuracy or consistency to move the ball.



I want to see what Anae can do with a QB who can complete passes at this pace & tempo. Is Olsen that guy? I don't know. But I think it's time to find out.

You cannot run the GFGH offense with Olsen. Hill makes it work somewhat because of his running ability, but not being able to hit open receivers, over-throwing, under-throwing and not being able to put a touch on the ball makes you one-dimensional and Utah knew that coming into the game... was obvious what Whit's plan would be and it worked like a charm. Cougs are in trouble because they have an offensive scheme with a QB who cannot pass and if they try Olsen, they can't run the offense they've practiced going back to spring ball since he is not tailored for a pro-style set. What a mess, and it goes squarely on the shoulders of Bronco and Anae and what they are doing. I totally agree with the post here... Bronco is a D Coordinator, nothing more, however, having said that, he won't be let go anytime soon as long as there are no off the field problems, distractions or guys getting caught breaking the honor code. Oh wait...
K
KingCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
we had improvements. a couple small breaks and we would all be singing praises and happy right now. they played as well as they good. utah managed to stop our running game. taysom was not capable of beatting them with his arm. d did their part. offense sputtered. refs sure didn't help.



i think if anybody needs to be fired i would fired hollady. our receivers suck! thank goodness for hoffman and falsleve. ridly couldn't even catch tonight.



The team had 2 weeks to prepare. We should have had all the momentum, having lost the last 3 in a row. And we were on home field. And yet Utah was in control for most of that game. Yes, the refs didn't help (and I blame Tom Holmoe first and foremost for that) but, as usual, Kyle had his team better prepared than Bronco did. Same story. Again.
Advertisement
J
jacksonman
The ONLY TWO things that could change my mind on Bronco on this point is IF he actually has the guts to make the reasonable decision of benching his gritty QB for poor performance and giving the pure passer a try OR firing Anae immediately.



Anae should have been sat down day 1 on the job and be told BEAT UTAH OR YOU ARE GONE! Yet I can't figure out for the life of me what the hell he did for these last two weeks in preparation, let alone the whole off season. Priority #1 had to be BEAT THE UTES AT HOME, for our seniors, for recruiting, for in-state bragging rights and to save MY (Broncos) job! Yet we looked PATHETIC, out-coached and out-executed.



Fire Anae, hire anyone else! I absolutely guarantee 9 out of 10 of us would be better play callers.



If we still have Hill in after a few more games with constant PER's below 100 AND Anae is still around, then there is nothing left to do but fire Bronco.
M
mtnradio
Guys i know on the team seem to think Olsen may be better than TH .... certainly better passer, not as good of a runner.



One pronlem here is that we, as fans, want a passing game because of BYUs glory days. Bronco does not want to pass ... he wants to run.



Im not ready to call for him to be fired, but somethings got to change fast ... this loss hurts way out of proportion because of circumsrances involved.



I dont know if Bronco gets that ... but he should.
J
jonnylingo
KingCoug wrote:
we had improvements. a couple small breaks and we would all be singing praises and happy right now. they played as well as they good. utah managed to stop our running game. taysom was not capable of beatting them with his arm. d did their part. offense sputtered. refs sure didn't help.



i think if anybody needs to be fired i would fired hollady. our receivers suck! thank goodness for hoffman and falsleve. ridly couldn't even catch tonight.



The team had 2 weeks to prepare. We should have had all the momentum, having lost the last 3 in a row. And we were on home field. And yet Utah was in control for most of that game. Yes, the refs didn't help (and I blame Tom Holmoe first and foremost for that) but, as usual, Kyle had his team better prepared than Bronco did. Same story. Again.


were they though. can you point out how they were better prepared? i just think they played better than us and the refs basically stole yards and touchdowns from us.



show me how kyle and co were better prepared? the fact is wilson is better than taysom and that is why they won.
C
cougdoc
Unfortunately, Wolfman is right (did I just type that?!). If we are going to insist on running the read-option, then Taysom is our guy. What a sad state of affairs for quarterback U. To give Olsen a look-see, which I would support, would require a significant adjustment, I think. And we all know that the last time Bronco or Anae made a significant in-game or even in-season scheme adjustment was . . .um . . . (crickets)
J
jacksonman
I don't want to blame the refs because honestly, I feel they were bad both ways. Even that PI at the end was after Hill almost got sacked and rushed a throw to the 10 yard line with no time left. I know if it were called we would have been given another chance. But I didn't feel like we deserved another chance. It would have been the field goal fiasco from last year all over again; finding a way to lose.



I felt like we played the whole game not to lose and never played to win. Down two touchdowns we punted on 4th and inches. No trick or gadget plays. No fakes. No true go routes from what I observed.



The refs were horrible. But by the end of the game, I felt it pretty even. They should all be fired but I felt Utah played better and seemed to have more swagger and attitude to win rather than just not lose. We didn't force turnovers, dropped several interceptions, dropped passes and missed wide open receivers.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
were they though. can you point out how they were better prepared? i just think they played better than us and the refs basically stole yards and touchdowns from us.



show me how kyle and co were better prepared? the fact is wilson is better than taysom and that is why they won.


The Ute coaching staff evidently had their team in a position to make the plays where our's didn't. The Utes mostly stopped our running game. And when our running game was working, mostly with Hill running it, Anae had him keep passing it. And we had too many drops, even when the throws were accurate.



The Ute D line was getting a lot more pressure on Hill than our's was on Wilson. And they also moved the ball a lot better on our defense than they should have.



Even if the refs had called a fair game, I think we still lose.



And you said it yourself in your last sentence. Wilson played better than Hill. Wilson doesn't have any more natural talent than Hill does. But he's obviously been coached much better to make the improvement he has.
P
pikoi
I was on the sideline all night. There wasn't as much fire or intensity as I expected. In fact, several past players (most notably and forcefully, Brandon Ogletree) were very frustrated that it felt like they wanted the win more than most of the players on the team.



That being said, Taysom Hill was outplayed by his counterpart and we lost a close game. It happens. This team kept its cool and never gave up. They came up short. I am still proud to be a BYU fan, still excited to watch the next game.
K
KingCoug
Outplayed by Travis Wilson. That's just pathetic. [moderator edit: we don't need to call players names.] And we lose to these guys?
J
jacksonman
Better athletes year after year yet worse performance. It is coaching. Not putting the right players in the right positions. Not starting the right players. Not coaching sufficiently. Not game-planning well enough. Time to start over!



Sometimes when a lake gets over-run with non-native species, or a fish overpopulates and stunts, or a disease gets into a system, the only thing to do is ROTENONE it, or simply, poison the whole thing, kill everything off, and start over! This is what needs to happen with the football coaching staff. I hate the attitude of the team, the image of the team, the performance of the team, and just about everything Bronco (although he does seem like an excellent GA or counselor). Time to cut our loses and start over. The sooner the better!
S
snoscythe
If Williams doesn't come back, and if the coaches aren't willing to start Hine at RB, then the GFGH we saw against Texas is over. You can't effectively run the read option with FB-type backs like Lasike, Alisa, and Brown like Anae was trying to do after Williams was hurt. The DEs just don't have to respect them nearly as much and they can cheat on the option.



Without Williams or Hine, the read-option will be an exercise in futility this year.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.