Archived Topic

Taysom

by mizzoucoug · 9/22/2013

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
You can only fire so many coaches and Bronco has a certain amount of immunity I would assume. So do we see a QB change anytime soon? Or is he truly the QB of the future (which is what I have always thought)? Or do we cut our losses and go with a true passer?



Taysom is losing us games this season. Can we assume his passing will improve with more gametime? Being in constant rebuild mode makes you wonder if things will ever get fixed.
J
Jarhead
My problem with Taysom is that he is frequently so far off target, even if his precision improves, he'd still be missing guys; it just wouldn't look as bad.
C
Cougarfan87
I hate being that guy, but it is time to give the next QB a look. Taysom throws around 33-38%. That is absolutely atrocious. Even a 50% passer is considered inaccurate. What is a 35% passer considered?



Honestly, with Williams going down, BYU needs to take a page out of Florida's book. Florida turned a pretty inaccurate QB (Trey Burton) into a half-back, and used more of the passer as a QB. There is no doubt Taysom can run. Make him the scat back that runs the wild cat and put Olsen in to actually, I don't know, complete passes.
M
mtnradio
Bronco wants a running team. Taysom stays.



Im curious why TH is struggling with passing ... good at it last year, good passer in high school. What happened?
B
BroncoBot
mtnradio wrote:
Bronco wants a running team. Taysom stays.



Im curious why TH is struggling with passing ... good at it last year, good passer in high school. What happened?

No, he was not good at it last year.
Advertisement
N
nickdutson
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I hate being that guy, but it is time to give the next QB a look. Taysom throws around 33-38%. That is absolutely atrocious. Even a 50% passer is considered inaccurate. What is a 35% passer considered? Honestly, with Williams going down, BYU needs to take a page out of Florida's book. Florida turned a pretty inaccurate QB (Trey Burton) into a half-back, and used more of the passer as a QB. There is no doubt Taysom can run. Make him the scat back that runs the wild cat and put Olsen in to actually, I don't know, complete passes.

Hill managed 260 passing yards, but, I swear, if a hot-air balloon landed at midfield and he targeted it, he'd hit it only about half the time.
M
mizzoucoug
mtnradio wrote:
Bronco wants a running team. Taysom stays.



Im curious why TH is struggling with passing ... good at it last year, good passer in high school. What happened?


Bronco mistakenly believes that we can win every game 21-17 if we just play good D and run the ball. We are not good enough up front to do this, Bronco!



Top 10 B1G and SEC teams can win that way because they can run for first downs on anyone and have legit NFL talent on d. We can't! I hate this part of his coaching philosophy.



BYU's only success in its history has come from passing the ball and especially to tight ends, and I believe that potential still exists. With Bronco we are screwed.
S
stgeorgefan
mizzoucoug wrote:
Bronco wants a running team. Taysom stays.



Im curious why TH is struggling with passing ... good at it last year, good passer in high school. What happened?


Bronco mistakenly believes that we can win every game 21-17 if we just play good D and run the ball. We are not good enough up front to do this, Bronco!



Top 10 B1G and SEC teams can win that way because they can run for first downs on anyone and have legit NFL talent on d. We can't! I hate this part of his coaching philosophy.



BYU's only success in its history has come from passing the ball and especially to tight ends, and I believe that potential still exists. With Bronco we are screwed.


We need to be a run first team in this type of offense. Oregon runs most of the time too. The run equals better ball security and sets up the pass. Watch oregon and I think thats what byu is shooting for.
S
stgeorgefan
Ammon Olsen deserves at the very least a look. Maybe a few packages a game if you want to be conservative. I think TH has proven with 3 games that his completion % is not a fluke. The weather was fine tonight. He had open guys and many chances.
B
BigCougsFan
I understand you lackadaisical fans. Believe what you say.



Anae has been in the game for awhile. Hill is our best choice. Look at the praises two weeks ago.



To bad you don't see the potential.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
BigCougsFan wrote:
I understand you lackadaisical fans. Believe what you say.



Anae has been in the game for awhile. Hill is our best choice. Look at the praises two weeks ago.



To bad you don't see the potential.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I once heard a well known Alabama coach say that potential was just a fancy French word that means "Ain't done nothin' yet." With THills arm, I think you are wrong. I think we all se the "potential." :sulk:
S
SenorCougar
mizzoucoug wrote:
You can only fire so many coaches and Bronco has a certain amount of immunity I would assume. So do we see a QB change anytime soon? Or is he truly the QB of the future (which is what I have always thought)? Or do we cut our losses and go with a true passer?



Taysom is losing us games this season. Can we assume his passing will improve with more gametime? Being in constant rebuild mode makes you wonder if things will ever get fixed.




Calling AO...Calling AO to the rescue. Bring your impressive 8-14 SUU passing record. Welcome to the Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Boise State, Utah State part of the schedule. Prediction: Six sacks per game, three interceptions per game, four loses....
S
snoscythe
Hill's greatly improved over weeks 1 & 2. His issue is overstriding, which closes his hips and leads him to muscle the throws--rifling the short stuff, and sending the long stuff 8 yards too far.



Just changing that one thing will continue to make all the difference in the world, and tonight he was much better in the first 3 quarters, but when we had to start passing 80% of the time in the 4th, he reverted a bit.



I would pin the poor passing results in the first 3 quarters on the "receiving" corps, and the fourth quarter on Hill. I think he's still our guy for at least two more weeks, barring a massive relapse or any injury.
K
KingCoug
I actually do still see a lot of potential with Hill. But only under the right coaching. And that's not going to happen with Anae. Even if Hill improves individually, he'll still be impeded by playing in Anae's system.
S
SenorCougar
snoscythe wrote:
Hill's greatly improved over weeks 1 & 2. His issue is overstriding, which closes his hips and leads him to muscle the throws--rifling the short stuff, and sending the long stuff 8 yards too far.



Just changing that one thing will continue to make all the difference in the world, and tonight he was much better in the first 3 quarters, but when we had to start passing 80% of the time in the 4th, he reverted a bit.



I would pin the poor passing results in the first 3 quarters on the "receiving" corps, and the fourth quarter on Hill. I think he's still our guy for at least two more weeks, barring a massive relapse or any injury.


Marching down the field in the final minutes, Hoffman caught several passes. Then on the critical one, the ball hit his hands and bounced off. Those are drive killers.....
Advertisement
J
jacksonman
Even if Hoffman catches that we lose another 5-10 seconds off the clock. A 10 yard completion over the middle was NOT what we needed there. We needed a 20+ up the middle or anything shorter getting immediately out of bounds to stop the clock. We needed a TD, not a fieldgoal, and we simply did not have enough time for 10 yard plays in the middle of the play without time-outs, even if they were 1st downs.
A
Alphaleonis
Taysom's PER 2012 (6 games) was 122.40. His PER in 2013 (3 games) is 74.27. Any theories as to why such a drastic sophomore slump? GFGH?, WR's dropping more? WR schemes not as good this year? OL not giving him as much time as last year? QB coach messing with his mechanics?
C
Cougs_Rule
Alphaleonis wrote:
Taysom's PER 2012 (6 games) was 122.40. His PER in 2013 (3 games) is 74.27. Any theories as to why such a drastic sophomore slump? GFGH?, WR's dropping more? WR schemes not as good this year? OL not giving him as much time as last year? QB coach messing with his mechanics?


I have a theory and I shall be presenting it in the ear future.



But Sno is on target (pun intended). Taysom needs coaching that he simply is to getting. Or he mentally is breaking in the pressure and forcing his mechanics.
J
jacksonman
Are you serious? Dead last in passin efficiency after 3 games, tons of horrible throws, no weather last night to blame it on, per around 70?!?!?! There is no argument to be made that there is much hope. He needs to be benched or turned into a running back. With Williams out, we need to put Olson is as qb and have a dual threat running back in Taysom. If we see more of the same the next few weeks, I'm done devoting my weekends and funds to this garbage. I love byu football but bronco is honestly making it to painful and hard to watch!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
No excuse. Taysom has played his way to the bench.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.