Archived Topic

In honor of Kitic

by hawkwing · 11/30/2009

Advertisement
G
Guest
Kitic was honored at the game on Saturday and got to fire the cannon as the players ran on the field. I had hoped he would have the announcer mention his love for CougarCorner during the bio, but I can forgive him for not... Here are some pictures, I took with my little point and shoot.



http://lh6.ggpht.com/_nAOCDTtaq-o/SxQOyIPJXmI/AAAAAAAABis/G74WOIOuzbE/s720/BYU%20beats%20Utah%20by%20George%20045.JPG" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://lh6.ggpht.com/_nAOCDTtaq-o/SxQOxmuPkEI/AAAAAAAABik/AjeIM060t2o/s720/BYU%20beats%20Utah%20by%20George%20046.JPG" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nAOCDTtaq-o/SxQOxEIMH2I/AAAAAAAABig/fwleZy3chss/s720/BYU%20beats%20Utah%20by%20George%20050.JPG" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nAOCDTtaq-o/SxQOw4Xpi1I/AAAAAAAABic/sZSwKWYAOkQ/s720/BYU%20beats%20Utah%20by%20George%20051.JPG" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
Totally awesome! Thanks for the pics. A great congrats to a great fan and a great man!
A
ABYUFAN
Kitic, please let me be the first to say to you:



Narf! ;)
E
EM_Puma
I was doing as I usually do and not paying that much attention to who they were honoring as the "cannon shooter" when I started to listen to the bio and I thought, gee guy's life sounds just like my buddy Kitic. Just then I hear the announcer mention his name and I just had to grin. Way to go bro!



I think you are one of the youngest guys I ever seen to shoot that off.
S
SpiffCoug
Thanks guys. I was the first current BYU student to shoot the George Q. And my father shot it before the CSU game in 2007. We're the first father and son duo to be honored. I'm the sixth Whaley to serve in the US Army. My dad was in for 24 years and served as an LDS Chaplain. His father fought in WWII. His father was in WWI. His grand father fought for Missouri in the Civil War and his grandfather fought in the Continental Army.



My two boys had a great time seeing themselves on the two big jumbrotrons. It was a spectular day. My mother, who suffered a stroke in August, was able to attend. It was only the second time she's been out of the hospital since it occurred. So it was a most excellent day.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Nicely done, Staff Sgt. Whaley (did I get that right?). I was cheering for "Kitic" when they were reading your bio and everyone around me probably thought I had just lost my mind.
W
Wickchad
Did they let you fire the cannon twice? I was pretty sure that it was set off much later after the team ran onto the field. Was it fired after all of the seniors had come out one-by-one?
S
SpiffCoug
No, I just got to fire it once. I think they did fire it again after all the seniors had been announced.
C
CougarClaw
Problem with firing George Q is that you need 3 hands.



1 for the firing cord

2 for your ears



but it's pretty awesome to make that much noise. especialyl if there is more than blanks coming out the one end.



Congrats on the gameday firing!
M
MrRoboto
kitic77 wrote:
Thanks guys. I was the first current BYU student to shoot the George Q. And my father shot it before the CSU game in 2007. We're the first father and son duo to be honored. I'm the sixth Whaley to serve in the US Army. My dad was in for 24 years and served as an LDS Chaplain. His father fought in WWII. His father was in WWI. His grand father fought for Missouri in the Civil War and his grandfather fought in the Continental Army.



My two boys had a great time seeing themselves on the two big jumbrotrons. It was a spectular day. My mother, who suffered a stroke in August, was able to attend. It was only the second time she's been out of the hospital since it occurred. So it was a most excellent day.

That's awesome! And I thought I had a good day.

Thank you for your service.
Advertisement
M
Mars
kitic77 wrote:
I was the first current BYU student to shoot the George Q. And my father shot it before the CSU game in 2007. We're the first father and son duo to be honored. I'm the sixth Whaley to serve in the US Army. My dad was in for 24 years and served as an LDS Chaplain. His father fought in WWII. His father was in WWI. His grand father fought for Missouri in the Civil War and his grandfather fought in the Continental Army.

All that, AND you're a Calvin and Hobbes fan! You've got a lot going on for you.
B
BYUROCKS
Wow, congrats Kitic!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.