Archived Topic

The BYU-Utah Rivalry sucks this week. I hate it.

by Lawboy · 9/18/2013

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
It is supposed to be about football. An athletics competition. A game. Instead, it is turning into everything except the game and it is not enjoyable. This culture war that is raging is helping neither fan base, and we all need to just let it go.



I get it. We as a BYU fans are frustrated with 3 straight losses, and U fans are gloating. It has rubbed us wrong for 3 years and we are sensitive to it. But the culture war that is now raging on is getting so tiresome, that it is overshadowing the actual game now. That is pretty messed up.



I think BYU fans need to take a step back, not be so easily offended and outraged over stupid things some U fans or players do or say. And U fans need to take a step back, and not call BYU fans judgmental or "holier than thou' or try to act so counter-culture in trying to get under LDS BYU fans skin, because it is equally stupid.



It is getting personal in stupid ways because we are letting it get personal in stupid ways. Both sides need to just stop already and let it go back to being about a football game. Because it is about what happens Saturday night on the field and the rest is just nonsense.



I can not believe I actually think this, but after this week, the series needs a 2-year break, just so fans can get some perspective and actually miss the game. Because it is about the game after all, and we all need to remember that.
S
SpiffCoug
Agreed. The rivalry needs a break. It needs to become "just another game."
S
Sammich
I was riding trax a month ago and two guys were joking about bringing extra beer bottles to the game just to throw at Max Hall's parents' heads. I didn't hear the rest, but there were lots of references to BYU and Mormons riddled with expletives. These were 30+ year-old guys, not stupid kids.



It's not just this week. At least in the Salt Lake area it has been personal and about everything but football for a long time. It just doesn't make front page news until rivalry week comes around.
S
Sammich
But I agree about needing a break.
F
frdbtr
The rivalry was escalated by the u of u when urban meyer put BYU stickers in the urinals. Kwhit was a part of that, he could have asked that his head coach not do it but didn't. Since then there have been pictures on the web of his daughter dressed like a pregnant BYU cheerleader, his wife put herself in the middle of starting a fight with a BYU student and then played the victim when the crap hit the fan. The rivalry got out of hand because of kwhit and it won't change until he is gone. The good news is, if BYU wins on Saturday, he will be before we play them again.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Honestly, I do not care who started it, or escalated it. It just needs to stop and move back to being about a game.



I know that Bronco and KWhitt do not get along much, and I do not expect them to act like LaVell and McBride. Perhaps Tom Holmoe and Chris Hill can try to fill that void, because this rivalry needs more of that right now. It needs more from people on both sides reaching out and having fun and making it just about the games.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
I know that Bronco and KWhitt do not get along much


I was in a ward with Whittingham's mom. She's a hardcore Bronco hater--would only refer to him derisively as "Bishop Bronco"
S
Stirfry
frdbtr wrote:
The rivalry was escalated by the u of u when urban meyer put BYU stickers in the urinals. Kwhit was a part of that, he could have asked that his head coach not do it but didn't. Since then there have been pictures on the web of his daughter dressed like a pregnant BYU cheerleader, his wife put herself in the middle of starting a fight with a BYU student and then played the victim when the crap hit the fan. The rivalry got out of hand because of kwhit and it won't change until he is gone. The good news is, if BYU wins on Saturday, he will be before we play them again.


+1 to what Lawboy is saying and +1 on this. Urban started it through his actions but also because how much he improved Utah's program.



When the U wins the sugar bowl, and they put up a billboard on 4th south for a year congratulating themselves and the picture is of Max Hall getting intercepted, the school needs to realize they can be more than just hating on BYU.
L
Lawboy
snoscythe wrote:
I know that Bronco and KWhitt do not get along much


I was in a ward with Whittingham's mom. She's a hardcore Bronco hater--would only refer to him derisively as "Bishop Bronco"


Here's hoping that Bishop Bronco rips her sons team to shreds Saturday night, then offers last rites on the smoldering corpse that is the 2013 U football season bowl hopes.



Just win.
F
frdbtr
My point is, it will never get back to being just about the game until Kwhit is gone. He encourages, not discourages the behavior.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Lawboy wrote:
Honestly, I do not care who started it, or escalated it. It just needs to stop and move back to being about a game.



I know that Bronco and KWhitt do not get along much, and I do not expect them to act like LaVell and McBride. Perhaps Tom Holmoe and Chris Hill can try to fill that void, because this rivalry needs more of that right now. It needs more from people on both sides reaching out and having fun and making it just about the games.

I'm not sure any "hope" resting on Chris Hill to be reasonable regarding the two schools is actually any hope at all...
F
frdbtr
ABYUFAN wrote:
Honestly, I do not care who started it, or escalated it. It just needs to stop and move back to being about a game.



I know that Bronco and KWhitt do not get along much, and I do not expect them to act like LaVell and McBride. Perhaps Tom Holmoe and Chris Hill can try to fill that void, because this rivalry needs more of that right now. It needs more from people on both sides reaching out and having fun and making it just about the games.

I'm not sure any "hope" resting on Chris Hill to be reasonable regarding the two schools is actually any hope at all...


Agreed, Max Hall was right. It starts at the top and trickles down. If the behavior wasn't encouraged from the leadership at the school, it wouldn't be there.
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
Honestly, I do not care who started it, or escalated it. It just needs to stop and move back to being about a game.



I know that Bronco and KWhitt do not get along much, and I do not expect them to act like LaVell and McBride. Perhaps Tom Holmoe and Chris Hill can try to fill that void, because this rivalry needs more of that right now. It needs more from people on both sides reaching out and having fun and making it just about the games.

I'm not sure any "hope" resting on Chris Hill to be reasonable regarding the two schools is actually any hope at all...


Agreed, Max Hall was right. It starts at the top and trickles down. If the behavior wasn't encouraged from the leadership at the school, it wouldn't be there.


ADs are figure heads. They can't do squat. You think the ADs brokered the relationship with LaVel and Ronnnie? Nope.

But you have had other good points. It's all about Bronco and Kyle at this point.

Some people don't realize where Kyles hated comes from. It's intergenerational. HIs father hated BYU after getting cut loose from the coaching staff. And it's been this way ever since. Kryle loves taking shots at BYU in the media. He did again this week.

This rivalry absolutely needs a break. And I predict of Regardless of the outcome this week, there will be some pandemonium somewhere in the stands and parking lots. The big B brethren have wanted this to go away but haven't mandated. Watch it happen after this week.
N
nuk13
I don't know if Whittingham respects any one but BYU isn't the only one he disrepects. I don't think that is true of Bronco.
F
frdbtr
Cougs_Rule wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Honestly, I do not care who started it, or escalated it. It just needs to stop and move back to being about a game.



I know that Bronco and KWhitt do not get along much, and I do not expect them to act like LaVell and McBride. Perhaps Tom Holmoe and Chris Hill can try to fill that void, because this rivalry needs more of that right now. It needs more from people on both sides reaching out and having fun and making it just about the games.

I'm not sure any "hope" resting on Chris Hill to be reasonable regarding the two schools is actually any hope at all...


Agreed, Max Hall was right. It starts at the top and trickles down. If the behavior wasn't encouraged from the leadership at the school, it wouldn't be there.


ADs are figure heads. They can't do squat. You think the ADs brokered the relationship with LaVel and Ronnnie? Nope.

But you have had other good points. It's all about Bronco and Kyle at this point.

Some people don't realize where Kyles hated comes from. It's intergenerational. HIs father hated BYU after getting cut loose from the coaching staff. And it's been this way ever since. Kryle loves taking shots at BYU in the media. He did again this week.

This rivalry absolutely needs a break. And I predict of Regardless of the outcome this week, there will be some pandemonium somewhere in the stands and parking lots. The big B brethren have wanted this to go away but haven't mandated. Watch it happen after this week.


So Chris Hill has no control over utah announcing its series with Michigan right in the middle of BYU's media day? utah does stuff to disrespect BYU all the time all the way at the top and Chris hill is in the middle of it.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
That's true. But he had to to prove he's a frUte!! It's a Utah-man[hood] thing to do. Bt it pre-dates him and will last long after.
V
vancouvercougar
I am with lawboy on this. I don't think the rivalry sucks, but the mean attitudes do. Here in Oregon we have the "cival war" between the Beavers and the Ducks. People on both sides of that contest feel very strongly about their respective schools, but in the end they are all Oregonians. There is not the mean spirit between those two schools.



I wish that our rivalry was intense on the field, but good natured off.
1
1967cougar
Wait a minute. I though we were holier than they.
S
stgeorgefan
1967cougar wrote:
Wait a minute. I though we were holier than they.




If Byu fans are the one's who cut it off because of the vile nature, then we are holier than thou!!!! Lose lose
W
Wolfman
The outcome of this game could very well put either Whit or Bronco on the hot-seat because most BYU fans have said they will not and cannot accept BYU losing 4 straight to Utah and that it would be unacceptable while if Whit loses this game, he could very well be staring at 8 straight losses this season and after last season's 5-7 campaign, Ute faithful may start wondering if he shouldn't be under the gun as well.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.