Archived Topic

Stay Classy Utah!

by SpiffCoug · 9/18/2013

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I’ve seen a lot of scuttlebutt on the subject on CougarBoard in the one Utah player pointing out that it was just as bad for BYU fans to keep posting responses to this event. The point by most members is how we view Puketah fans that are LDS that act as though this type of mockery isn’t something they need to stand up against. For as many RM’s that Puketah has and if they haven’t said anything to the players involved, then shame on them. But I don’t know how they responded. I have a hope that they would stand up to a team member and say something, whether it did any good or not. Steve Tate seemed to believe that doing so would alienate the LDS Puketah players from those that were not. I don't agree that that’s a proper stance or reaction.



I once had to travel with a fellow worker who was not of our faith. He extensively used the names of deity in his conversations in ways that offended me and so I let him know it bothered me. His response? He told me “too bad”. I felt good that at least I let it be known that his actions offended me, but that’s as far as I was able to take it.
C
Cougs_Rule
The irony is no action will be taken vs these bigoted schleps. If these were white guys mocking a black Christian university all the racist flags would also be raised.

"stay" classy? Pretty presumptive.
F
frdbtr
The word "classy" paired with the university of utah is an oxymoron.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Yeah it was stupid. But I am not going to turn it into a referendum on teh whole university and its fan base. Couple of dumb kids.



I remember on the mission, me and a companion took some photos in front of the JW building. In one, my comp was patting his bum towards that building as a funny gesture. It could have been perceived poorly if it got out for sure.



Kids do dumb things. How it is. I'm over it. But mostly because I am getting sick of the build up to the rivalry and how it has devolved from the game to everything other than the game. The culture war just needs to stop. It is a zero sum game and helps neither fan base. And it has jumped the shark this week.



Saturday can not come soon enough, and then the 2 year hiatus will be a blessing in disguise seeing how this week has taken shape.
A
ABYUFAN
Asuming Jake Murphy is telling the truth (which I don't beleive he is) and its not mocking any religion, why is the baptizing person hiding his face? I don't buy it. Jake Murphey is a lying weasel. Doofus! Max was right



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
I've seen the picture, I haven't seen the video, nor will I watch it. It's kids being dumb. Was it stupid? Of course. But as Law said above, how many of us on our missions mocked other religions? I know I did. Being over 30 years old now, I realize that it probably wasn't something I should have done.



Apparently one of the kids in the video is LDS...probably should have said something, but again, these are 19-23 year olds. Just not really thinking.
S
SpiffCoug
It is stupid. But that doesn't mean is should just be dismissed. Yes they are young, college kids. But that doesn't mean it should just be ignored.



Coach Whittingham should have those involved apologize for mocking things others find sacred. He should state we have respect for others and their beliefs.



I don't think anyone needs to be punished. But there should be a public apology. That's all I think needs to be done.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
It is stupid. But that doesn't mean is should just be dismissed. Yes they are young, college kids. But that doesn't mean it should just be ignored.



Coach Whittingham should have those involved apologize for mocking things others find sacred. He should state we have respect for others and their beliefs.



I don't think anyone needs to be punished. But there should be a public apology. That's all I think needs to be done.


Kwhit won't have anyone apologize because he is part of the problem and not the solution. Max Hall was right.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Lawboy wrote:
Yeah it was stupid. But I am not going to turn it into a referendum on teh whole university and its fan base. Couple of dumb kids.



I remember on the mission, me and a companion took some photos in front of the JW building. In one, my comp was patting his bum towards that building as a funny gesture. It could have been perceived poorly if it got out for sure.



Kids do dumb things. How it is. I'm over it. But mostly because I am getting sick of the build up to the rivalry and how it has devolved from the game to everything other than the game. The culture war just needs to stop. It is a zero sum game and helps neither fan base. And it has jumped the shark this week.



Saturday can not come soon enough, and then the 2 year hiatus will be a blessing in disguise seeing how this week has taken shape.


Agree on all counts.
S
Stirfry
EM_Puma wrote:
Steve Tate seemed to believe that doing so would alienate the LDS Puketah players from those that were not. I don't agree that that’s a proper stance or reaction.


Can't see the twitter link at work but watched the video. I had to be subjected to a Gordon Monson interview yesterday when I was given a ride from someone. Steve Tate was on complaining about Austin Collies "magic happens" quote and how BYU is hollier than though. At that point he lost any credibility with me that he ever might have had. It's unbeleivalbe how much that quote got under Utah's skin.
S
Sammich
ABYUFAN wrote:
Asuming Jake Murphy is telling the truth (which I don't beleive he is) and its not mocking any religion, why is the baptizing person hiding his face? I don't buy it. Jake Murphey is a lying weasel. Doofus! Max was right

http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a liar but he has been passing around stories about his meetings with Bronco before committing to the Utes that sound fishy at worst and a view that was skewed to be against BYU from the beginning at best. Which is sad because his family was pretty pro-BYU before but they've soured because of those stories.
S
SpiffCoug
Whittingham released a statement that the situation has been dealt with. That the players used poor judgement and were not trying to offend anyone.



As this is likely the closest we'll get to an apology, I'll take it and move on. It was kids being dumb. Glad at least some accountabilty and action was taken.
A
ABYUFAN
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I've seen the picture, I haven't seen the video, nor will I watch it. It's kids being dumb. Was it stupid? Of course. But as Law said above, how many of us on our missions mocked other religions? I know I did. Being over 30 years old now, I realize that it probably wasn't something I should have done.



Apparently one of the kids in the video is LDS...probably should have said something, but again, these are 19-23 year olds. Just not really thinking.

Wouldn't it have been nice if when we were doing stupid things to have some one say "not cool." How would a mission president react if his missionaries were videod beign this dumb? How would Bronco react if it were BYU players? Contrast that with Quitingham...



** Edit, OK Apparantly Quitingham has "dealt with it" (i.e. told them that videos are what we call "evidence" and when making fun of others, don't be stupid enough to video it, and if you do, don't be stupid enough to post it on youtube)



So he has done "something"
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
ABYUFAN wrote:
I've seen the picture, I haven't seen the video, nor will I watch it. It's kids being dumb. Was it stupid? Of course. But as Law said above, how many of us on our missions mocked other religions? I know I did. Being over 30 years old now, I realize that it probably wasn't something I should have done.



Apparently one of the kids in the video is LDS...probably should have said something, but again, these are 19-23 year olds. Just not really thinking.

Wouldn't it have been nice if when we were doing stupid things to have some one say "not cool." How would a mission president react if his missionaries were videod beign this dumb? How would Bronco react if it were BYU players? Contrast that with Quitingham...



** Edit, OK Apparantly Quitingham has "dealt with it" (i.e. told them that videos are what we call "evidence" and when making fun of others, don't be stupid enough to video it, and if you do, don't be stupid enough to post it on youtube)



So he has done "something"


Kind of makes Murphy's comments look pretty stupid now. Oh well. Just win big Saturday so we don't have to think about them for 3 years. (Except for when they play Oregon because that is going to be awesome)
B
BigCougsFan
Sammich wrote:
Asuming Jake Murphy is telling the truth (which I don't beleive he is) and its not mocking any religion, why is the baptizing person hiding his face? I don't buy it. Jake Murphey is a lying weasel. Doofus! Max was right

http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a liar but he has been passing around stories about his meetings with Bronco before committing to the Utes that sound fishy at worst and a view that was skewed to be against BYU from the beginning at best. Which is sad because his family was pretty pro-BYU before but they've soured because of those stories.


What happened with this guy? I don't know the stories you've mentioned, that Jake has been saying.



I thought he was a good guy, but I'm wondering if he has a loose screw now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
ABYUFAN wrote:
I've seen the picture, I haven't seen the video, nor will I watch it. It's kids being dumb. Was it stupid? Of course. But as Law said above, how many of us on our missions mocked other religions? I know I did. Being over 30 years old now, I realize that it probably wasn't something I should have done.



Apparently one of the kids in the video is LDS...probably should have said something, but again, these are 19-23 year olds. Just not really thinking.

Wouldn't it have been nice if when we were doing stupid things to have some one say "not cool." How would a mission president react if his missionaries were videod beign this dumb? How would Bronco react if it were BYU players? Contrast that with Quitingham...



** Edit, OK Apparantly Quitingham has "dealt with it" (i.e. told them that videos are what we call "evidence" and when making fun of others, don't be stupid enough to video it, and if you do, don't be stupid enough to post it on youtube)



So he has done "something"


It would probably have been a good idea had the other players jump in and stop them, but it's sometimes hard to be courageous, especially when one of the "leaders" of a social group is doing it.
S
Sammich
BigCougsFan wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Asuming Jake Murphy is telling the truth (which I don't beleive he is) and its not mocking any religion, why is the baptizing person hiding his face? I don't buy it. Jake Murphey is a lying weasel. Doofus! Max was right

http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a liar but he has been passing around stories about his meetings with Bronco before committing to the Utes that sound fishy at worst and a view that was skewed to be against BYU from the beginning at best. Which is sad because his family was pretty pro-BYU before but they've soured because of those stories.


What happened with this guy? I don't know the stories you've mentioned, that Jake has been saying.



I thought he was a good guy, but I'm wondering if he has a loose screw now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I think it's less of a loose screw and more of a chip on his shoulder against Bronco and BYU. I won't elaborate much on the story because I'm still friends with his family, but it comes down to him feeling like he was slighted by Bronco during recruiting and him taking that frustration to the U with him.
K
KingCoug
The Ute baptism video is hardly atypical of the U. The divide between the "atmosphere" at the U, and the Church/BYU, has been growing for years. That's a fact, no matter how much LDS Ute fans (and even some BYU fans) want to pretend otherwise. And it's only going to grow wider from here. Eventually, the time will come when ALUF's will no longer be able to justify themselves.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.