Archived Topic

Are you going to miss the rivalry next year?

by SpiffCoug · 9/17/2013

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I actually don't think I will.
V
vancouvercougar
I don't think I'll miss it next year, but I will be ready for it to start again in a few years.
E
EM_Puma
Ask me Sunday.
N
nuk13
There's too much anger and hate.
N
northerncougar
If we win Saturday, then I won't. I'll be able to enjoy this win for three years.



If we lose, then I'll be sick for three years.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Nope. It's become more than a game. Thankfully, I don't live in Utah where whether you're a Ute or Coug defines you.



I still remember the day a died-red Ute couple moved into our ward. They came in loud and proud and everyone just nodded their heads. 6 months later he was over at my house watching BYU games with me, his self-defining devotion to the Utes tempered.



Out here, being a Mormon is more defining than being a Ute or a Coug. There are few of us; so, we tend to stick together. Consequently, you end up defining yourself more so by your religion and what you stand for. In turn, even the hardest Ute fans gravitate towards BYU as they realize outside of Utah, BYU represents them more.
S
Schmoe
I look forward to it every year. My students like to talk smack and we have a good time with it. I'm really looking forward to wearing all my BYU gear on Monday after the win, and I'll miss not having that same fun for the next couple years.
C
Cougs_Rule
I hate everything about Utah
Y
Y 4 Ever
I won't miss it. I will wish we had the game IF we lose on Saturday. But if we win, then I won't miss it at all. I am sick of watching BYU stumble and bumble their way through the game like they are the Washington Generals playing the Globetrotters. I am sick of barely squeaking out wins when we should dominate, and losing when we should win. And I believe that every :utard game that I live through takes a full year off of my life.
S
stuckinbig10country
Of course I'll miss it. And it's not like they've replaced it with anything significant next year. I do hope that the break allows for there to be a change in some of the attitude around the game.



I think it would be great if the teams got together during the week prior and did some sort of community service or something. Probably a little pollyannish, but it could show that it is just a game.
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
What I won't miss is the outright hatred and bigotry coming from the :utard: .
S
Schmoe
IowaCougar wrote:
What I won't miss is the outright hatred and bigotry coming from the :utard: .


Oh, you'll still get that regardless of whether we're playing them that year or not.
N
nickdutson
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Of course I'll miss it. And it's not like they've replaced it with anything significant next year. I do hope that the break allows for there to be a change in some of the attitude around the game.



I think it would be great if the teams got together during the week prior and did some sort of community service or something. Probably a little pollyannish, but it could show that it is just a game.

That's a great idea. I will miss it very much so. Those I associate with that are cougs or utes is all just good fun. We make sure there is no hatred.
V
vancouvercougar
nickdutson wrote:
Of course I'll miss it. And it's not like they've replaced it with anything significant next year. I do hope that the break allows for there to be a change in some of the attitude around the game.



I think it would be great if the teams got together during the week prior and did some sort of community service or something. Probably a little pollyannish, but it could show that it is just a game.

That's a great idea. I will miss it very much so. Those I associate with that are cougs or utes is all just good fun. We make sure there is no hatred.


A joint service project could be similar to what happens in some bowl games. It's a great idea.
C
Cougarbib
EM_Puma wrote:
Ask me Sunday.


This. I voted yes. If U beats Y Saturday. I may reconsider my vote. But, yeah.



These days beating them head-to-head and doing better vs common opponents, what few there may be, are our best opportunities to demonstrate superiority.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
W
Wolfman
There is no other rivalry in the country like BYU-Utah... the passion, the emotion, the fire, the ferocity on the field... you'd be hard-pressed to find a rivalry more engrossed in determination and hate for the other team than this one and I will miss it sorely because rivalry week in Utah with the Utes and Cougs has always been the best week of football since I've lived here... it's a shame these two schools won't play again until 2016. And it never seems to matter which team is better... 90% of the time, it comes down to the last few minutes of the 4th quarter. BYU-Utah is the best rivalry in the nation, no question in my mind!
C
Cougarbib
Wolfman wrote:
There is no other rivalry in the country like BYU-Utah... the passion, the emotion, the fire, the ferocity on the field... you'd be hard-pressed to find a rivalry more engrossed in determination and hate for the other team than this one and I will miss it sorely because rivalry week in Utah with the Utes and Cougs has always been the best week of football since I've lived here... it's a shame these two schools won't play again until 2016. And it never seems to matter which team is better... 90% of the time, it comes down to the last few minutes of the 4th quarter. BYU-Utah is the best rivalry in the nation, no question in my mind!


This.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
As of right now, no way.



When next season rolls around with no game, I will miss the game. But nothing else that comes with it of late.
A
ABYUFAN
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I hate everything about Utah

This
B
blue42
I voted no.



I might miss the game itself but I won't miss all the BS that goes with it. I have a hard time with the hatred that has overtaken the rivalry. I hate the arrogance on the part of a lot of :utard: fans, I know there are some jerks on the BYU side, but the :utard: side has been more of an infestation, like cockroaches, just coming out of everywhere.



I have actually stopped listening to local sports talk radio the week of the rivalry game for about 5 years now. Can't stand it. It goes way beyond good sportsmanship, or even good fun. I know all of it isn't this way but it is getting more and more out of control.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.