Archived Topic

BYU vs Opponents Thru Game 2

by SpiffCoug · 9/17/2013

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
So each week, I'll be showing how BYU is doing compared to our opponent's average offense and defense. What I do, is look at the season stats for our opponents, remove the stats from the BYU game and see how BYU compared to the rest of the opponent's schedule.



So far, Virginia has played two games and Texas three. Lines in blue are ones where BYU is better than average. Lines in red are ones where BYU is below average. Remember, on offense you want to be above average, and defense you want to be holding opponents below average.



Virginia

BYU scored 43.0 points below UVA's average Scoring Defense.

BYU gained 195 fewer yards than UVA's average Total Defense.

BYU ran for 163 fewer yards than UVA's average Rushing Defense.

BYU was 61.9 PER points below UVA's average PER Defense.

BYU allowed 9 more points than UVA's average Scoring Offense.

BYU allowed 75 fewer yards than UVA's average Total Offense.

BYU allowed 15 fewer yards than UVA's average Rushing Defense.

BYU held UVA 5.9 PER points abovetheir average PER Offense.



Texas

BYU scored 14.5 points aboveTexas' average Scoring Defense.

BYU gained 281.5 more yards than Texas' average Total Defense.

BYU ran for 362 more yards than Texas' average Rushing Defense.

BYU was 60.1 PER points below Texas' average PER Defense.

BYU allowed 18.5 fewer points than Texas' average Scoring Offense.

BYU allowed 240 fewer yards than Texas' average Total Offense.

BYU allowed 109.5 fewer yards than Texas' average Rushing Defense.

BYU held Texas 78.1 PER points below their average PER Offense.



So through two opponents played, BYU's Offense has:

Scored more Points than they allow versus one of two opponents.

Gained more Total Yards than they allow versus one of two opponents.

Gained more Rushing Yards than they allow versus one of two opponents.

Had a PER above average versus zero of two opponents.



BYU's Defense has:

Allowed fewer Points than they score versus one of two opponents.

Allowed fewer Total Yards than they gain versus two of two opponents.

Allowed fewer Rushing Yards than they gain versus two of two opponents.

Allowed a PER below average versus one of two opponents.
S
SpiffCoug
For some comparison:

Utah's Defense has:

Held two of their three opponents below scoring average (USU & Weber).

Held all three opponents below their total offense average.

Hell all three opponents below their rushing yards average.

Only Utah St was below their PER average.



Utah's offense has:

Scored more points than their opponents' scoring defense.

Gained more total yards on their opponents (but just 13 more on Weber) total defense.

Ran for more yards than their opponents rushing defense.

Only Oregon St kept Utah below OS's PER defense.
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
Virginia

BYU gained 195 fewer yards than UVA's average Total Defense.

BYU ran for 163 fewer yards than UVA's average Rushing Defense.



Texas

BYU held Texas 78.1 PER points abovetheir average PER Offense.


I'm pretty slow. But I thought you had the colors reversed for the 3 stats shown above. Also, I vote that I-AA stats be thrown out.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
Virginia

BYU gained 195 fewer yards than UVA's average Total Defense.

BYU ran for 163 fewer yards than UVA's average Rushing Defense.



Texas

BYU held Texas 78.1 PER points abovetheir average PER Offense.


I'm pretty slow. But I thought you had the colors reversed for the 3 stats shown above. Also, I vote that I-AA stats be thrown out.

Good catch. Colors are wrong for UVA stats. Color is right for Texas, but "above" should be "below". I'll fix it.
E
EM_Puma
Bottom line...do you feel that Puketah is a better team than Texas? That's what I'm trying to gauge to decide how this contest will end. As always, it will depend on which team has the least turnovers. If we have none, I'd bet the farm that we'd win hands down.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think Utah is better coached than Texas - at least this year.



I think Texas has better talent, but Utah is clearly the more disciplined team.



I have no idea how this game will go. I think both BYU and Utah matchup well with the other team. BYU's offense does some things that Utah's defense will struggle to defend - but the Utes' defense prevents some problems for the BYU offense.



And vice versa. BYU's defense will cause some real havoc for what the Utes want to accomplish offensively - but the Utes have the ability to exploit some of BYU's weaknesses.



I think the teams are pretty even going in. BYU might have a slight edge as Utah has squeaked out one win, blew out a team that barely plays football and then lost a squeaker.



BYU lost a game in atrocious conditions that would make most teams struggle and then blew out a thought-to-be-good-but-turning-into-a-pumpkin team. So BYU may have a high level of confidence.



BYU is at home - but that's meant much as BYU is 3-7 last 10.



So I default to current history, which suggests Utah either winning close or big.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.