Archived Topic

Execution vs Emotion

by Cougs_Rule · 9/17/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I usually dont prefer simplistic analyses, all or nothing thinking, dichotomous statements or conclusions that suggest causation instead of correlation, but consider: Hasnt the difference in recent (8 of 11) rivalry games been predominantly attributable to emotion vs execution?



Bronco has preached execution and emotional control (not a bad sounding message in general) BUT has been beaten down by (in most of those years) less talented Ute teams, trench players, etc. and in fact it could be argued that BYU players have failed to execute in key moments when Utah has.



At some point it seems that emotion in this type of warfare, fostering an indomitable will and attitude will trump a sermon on execution. How much can execution (bad snaps, missed blocks on field goals, etc) really drop off if emotion is allowed to be fostered and focused into action? It certainly would seem that execution isn't winning games. Players aren't mindless--execution can't drop off much more than it already has.

Don't chain the dogs! Don't chain THill. Don't chain the D. Don't be afraid to lose. Play to win. Don't play not to lose (UVA vs TX games).

Bronco = Control and decorum

Kryle = maniacal and emotional



5-3 Utah; 11-8 Utah. The record don't lie. Maybe "good guys do finish last." I will take Bronco any day over Kryle......even on rivalry game day........but we don't need Kryle to adopt a dominant spirit. Maybe this will be the test of what Bronco really does mean when he describes "spirit" to be more than something spiritual. WE NEED THE HAKA on our home field!!! Channel the fire. Encourage the emotion and the execution. I'm afraid most fans represent the dominant feeling in Cougar town--afraid to lose another one.

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself." Isn't that much more inspiring than the alternatives? Do we want fearless leadership or philosophical commentary.

Go Cougs!! Kick the Ute chicky tails!!!
S
Schmoe
The problem has been, in my opinion, that regardless of if you treat this like "just another game," and prep for it like it's "just another game," the emotions that are present during this game are not the ones present at any other game. You have to use the week before to practice with that emotion so that you can still execute on the field while using, or at least harnessing, that emotion. It's not the team that plays with the most emotion that wins, it's the team that can control that emotion because they're prepped using it.



It's also what makes me so excited for this year; 99% of what I've heard out of BYU is that this is not just another game, which makes me believe we're prepping with emotion and will play well in the game.
C
Cougs_Rule
I could get into psychological and philosophical theories regarding "control" vs "channeling" but I won't.

But I do hold out some hope as well that from the few sound bites coming out its more about Super Bowl and not about "just another game."

Although, Kryle just issued that statement yesterday. Problem is, it was a slap at Bronco, Cougars, and even KVN (not sure but wonder if that was a sermon by Kryle to his team to not make KVN into a world beater and fear him.) and not a "useless Jedi mind control" tactic.



I do prefer "channel" and "harness" over "Control" which can easily imply abate = hesitancy, softness = loss.
S
Schmoe
Cougs_Rule wrote:

But I do hold out some hope as well that from the few sound bites coming out its more about Super Bowl and not about "just another game.".


I'm a big Bronco fan, but if there's one thing I'll fault him on all day, it's not understanding the emotion involved in the rivalry and how to use it (up to this point). From what we've been hearing, it seems like he's changed his approach, but I won't believe it til I see it on the field.
F
frdbtr
The problem with your theory is BYU wants this just as bad as utah and has wanted as bad as utah every year under Bronco and Crowton. In fact, I would venture the theory that BYU has let its emotions get the better of it and that has caused the issues with execution. Bronco has tried to calm his team down with his demeanor and that hasn't worked. I am more worried about what is being said this year than any other because everyone on BYU's roster is talking about this being the biggest game of the year. If they come out and play with confidence and allow their emotions to focus them on execution, we will win. If they come out too hyped and screw up early and often, then we will see another loss and everyone will blame Bronco for not getting his team "up" to play.
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
Anyone who has competed in any sport at a high level knows the difference between approaching a competition with confidence and approaching the same competition with fear. I wish I could have bottled the confidence that I had some of the time to use during those times where fear won out.



If the BYU players can visualize themselves doing everything right, things will work well. If they are thinking about things like turnovers, that's what will happen. All of the talk of "control" is hurtful, not helpful.



Dang the torpedoes, full-speed ahead!



8)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.