Archived Topic

Not so confident in the OL anymore...

by snoscythe · 9/16/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I rewatched the Texas game last night to focus on just the o-line, and (1) I was impressed by our offensive line's run-blocking, and (2) I was mortified by our offensive line's pass protection. About halfway through the game I realized Hill was running for his life since it appeared he was safer running the ball downfield than trying to sit in the "pocket" and deliver the ball.



Not as confident as I thought I was in the turnaround.
L
Lawboy
Yeah, but it was mostly by design is the thing. We took what Texas gave. They gave that run all gave long. No reason to throw it. Game was over.



Taysom is no Mannion though. And no Max Hall either. He is not a great pocket QB right now, but I just do not see BYU using him like that either all game long. But they do need him to get better in that aspect of his game.



I still think our Oline was solid. They pushed Texas around pretty good.
S
stgeorgefan
snoscythe wrote:
I rewatched the Texas game last night to focus on just the o-line, and (1) I was impressed by our offensive line's run-blocking, and (2) I was mortified by our offensive line's pass protection. About halfway through the game I realized Hill was running for his life since it appeared he was safer running the ball downfield than trying to sit in the "pocket" and deliver the ball.



Not as confident as I thought I was in the turnaround.




Could this be a result of the GFGH scheme? Heard the blocking scheme was simplified and that going hard and fast is paramount. Neither of those things sound like a positive in pass protection.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
Yeah, but it was mostly by design is the thing. We took what Texas gave. They gave that run all gave long. No reason to throw it. Game was over.


Except Hill was getting lit up in the pocket in the first half when the game was still on the line.
L
Lawboy
snoscythe wrote:
Yeah, but it was mostly by design is the thing. We took what Texas gave. They gave that run all gave long. No reason to throw it. Game was over.


Except Hill was getting lit up in the pocket in the first half when the game was still on the line.


Just 1 time.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Much improved over last year. Regressing to the mean this week. But stronger than vs UVA when everyone looked like feet in concrete. I still trust 2J and Anae to get everything they can out of this line. Have to avoid false start calls! It's a double whammy bc it kills GFGH momentum, allows for subs, and -5 yards.

But yes, probably not as good as they looked vs Tx.
J
jonnylingo
That is the thing. I think that if our oline can run blcok well enough that we do not become one dimensional then we will have a shot. if we can't run then we are screwed. no only because taysom is struggling with the pass but because our oline cannot give him time and our receivers have not been impressive getting open. taysom is good enough to pass when he needs to but not good enough to win the game with his arm.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
Yeah, but it was mostly by design is the thing. We took what Texas gave. They gave that run all gave long. No reason to throw it. Game was over.
Except Hill was getting lit up in the pocket in the first half when the game was still on the line.

Texas finished the game with 0 sacks and 1 TFL.
B
byucougar1
Anae was very blunt when he assessed the play of the OL against Utah:



“We lost this game because we weren’t effective when we were running the football. We had way too much volume with too little production in that area. We’re clearly not hitting the mark with the pass protection game either. We got beat tonight in the trenches and that’s something that we have to simply get better at. Credit goes to Utah because they were better than we were there.”



This comment seems like a summary of the movie Ground Hog Day. Last year Riley was running for his life against the DL and was injured several times because of the lack of pass protection. Our running game struggled against stout DL last year just like this year. Not sure if the OL thought because we pushed TX around, they were going to do the same thing (case of overconfidence perhaps). One thing is certain, OL still needs to improve as does Hill's accuracy (maybe design short throw plays for him with mulitple options) and better pass catching from WRs including TEs. Time to make another overhaul this week.
C
Cougs_Rule
byucougar1 wrote:
Anae was very blunt when he assessed the play of the OL against Utah:



“We lost this game because we weren’t effective when we were running the football. We had way too much volume with too little production in that area. We’re clearly not hitting the mark with the pass protection game either. We got beat tonight in the trenches and that’s something that we have to simply get better at. Credit goes to Utah because they were better than we were there.”



This comment seems like a summary of the movie Ground Hog Day. Last year Riley was running for his life against the DL and was injured several times because of the lack of pass protection. Our running game struggled against stout DL last year just like this year. Not sure if the OL thought because we pushed TX around, they were going to do the same thing (case of overconfidence perhaps). One thing is certain, OL still needs to improve as does Hill's accuracy (maybe design short throw plays for him with mulitple options) and better pass catching from WRs including TEs. Time to make another overhaul this week.


This. UVA was For BYU as OSU was for Utah. Texas was for BYU what Texas' first opponent was for Texas. I think some hubris set in. Hard not to. They played tougher vs Tx.

Also, Utah kept punching us in the mouth and multiple full line change outs any chance they got. BYU may have GFGH'd themselves into less fresh legs than Utah.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think Anae, 2J, and GFGH are going to need a few years to get everything under control after years of poor recruiting and coaching at that position.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.