Archived Topic

Jay Drew's True Colors Shine Again

by snoscythe · 9/15/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
#1, it's curious that the BYU beat writer is even in the pressbox for a Utah game.



#2, right after Utah kicked a FG in OT, Drew tweets that the stats guys in the booth were giving him grief for cheering too loudly.



Can you imagine a statewide newspaper in Alabama hiring an Auburn grad to be the beat writer for the Tide? A Michigan grad covering the Buckeyes? A Gamecock covering Clemson?
K
KingCoug
Drew is a piece of s#$t. In fact, every sports writer at the Tribune is. They're all pro-Utah and anti-BYU. But what do you expect? It's the Tribune after all.
C
Cougs_Rule
That's right. The liberal SLTrib and Utah radio friendly station has even turned a once very blue Hans Olsen into purple that looks red more and more each day.

Drew is NOT blue!
A
a1247
Who cares if he's fan or not? As long as he reports what he sees and does it without bias what does it matter?
K
KingCoug
a1247 wrote:
Who cares if he's fan or not? As long as he reports what he sees and does it without bias what does it matter?


That's just it. He doesn't do it without bias.
Advertisement
W
Waipahuboy
JD is a POS. He and Francis Upchuck for the local Provo paper are an absolute embarrassment. Here in TX, "journalists" like these two covering the major univ programs like TAMU and UT-Austin would be likely run out of town....most definitely in Lubbock (TTU).



And your're right....Tribune is awful. Hateful. But that's what they do, cater to their base.
1
1967cougar
Huh. I've always liked Drew. Never saw any red in his reporting. Now Franchuk, that's a different story. He totally sucks. But my opinion doesn't count because I think the following three crimes are unforgivable:

1) Hoping for a Utah win so they can be undefeated when we play them

2) Pulling for a Utah win because it made our conference (MWC) look good

3) Cheering for the Utes in the Sugar Bowl vs Alabama.

I have tried but just can't understand where sane reasoning has a part in any of the above scenarios.
D
Ddawg
You really can't understand why anyone would have wanted the U to have won last night against OSU? It's easy. It helps BYU a great deal to crush an undefeated U this Sat, vs. handing them their 2nd defeat in a row. It helps the Cougs SOS if the U won last night. To me, it's all about BYU winning, and increasing their respect on the national stage. Other than that, both the U and Gordon Monson suck out loud.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Jay Drew is a jerk and extremely anti-BYU. His stories and posts always emphasis negative aspects about BYU.



It's no surprise that the Tribune just laid off 20% of their staff, unfortunately the remaining 80% got to stay employed.
E
EM_Puma
Jay Drew is not naturally a BYU fan simply because he is the Trib beat writer covering them, but I like him. He's communicated with me when I've communicated with him except when I've called him on times when he's shown a bit of disdain for BYU. I still respect the job he does. I think it would have been nice to have someone at the Trib that didn't cover BYU with a bit of dislike, but he's at times pulled out stories that we might not have had otherwise.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Rihannon Potkey, even with stories about sock selection on the football team, was 1000x the beat reporter Drew has been.
I
IowaCougar
hawkwing wrote:
Jay Drew is a jerk and extremely anti-BYU. His stories and posts always emphasis negative aspects about BYU.


You mean like half of the people who post on this site?
M
Mars


There are a lot of extremely poor sports media members in the state of Utah, both writers and on the radio. I don't think that Jay Drew is one of them. Yes, he likes to stir the pot occasionally, but so do I. It can be fun and can begin discussion. He does his job professionally though.
S
stgeorgefan
I've never had a problem with drew, in fact I've enjoyed a lot of his work.



What are your expectations for a Byu beat writer? Only write the Blue goggled pro byu stuff all the time??



He covers the Y, good and bad. Isn't that his job as a journalist? Writing an article that promotes a conversation to be had is called good work, as long as you don't go Gordon Monson and make up facts
K
KingCoug
stgeorgefan wrote:
I've never had a problem with drew, in fact I've enjoyed a lot of his work.



What are your expectations for a Byu beat writer? Only write the Blue goggled pro byu stuff all the time??



He covers the Y, good and bad. Isn't that his job as a journalist? Writing an article that promotes a conversation to be had is called good work, as long as you don't go Gordon Monson and make up facts


Nobody says he needs to be Greg Wrubell but it's obvious he leans towards Utah and is anti-BYU. But that's what they do at the Trib.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
Met him once, seemed like a decent guy.
S
stgeorgefan
KingCoug wrote:



Nobody says he needs to be Greg Wrubell but it's obvious he leans towards Utah and is anti-BYU. But that's what they do at the Trib.




Actually I think a lot of fans want a greg wrubell type. The expectations that Byu does no wrong OR that a reporter being critical is anti byu is not accurate. I think many are defensive of our team and what is written.. That defensive reaction sells papers :~(
Y
Yndian
snoscythe wrote:
#1, it's curious that the BYU beat writer is even in the pressbox for a Utah game.



#2, right after Utah kicked a FG in OT, Drew tweets that the stats guys in the booth were giving him grief for cheering too loudly.


Where did he say he was there, and cheering? His tweet was "Re: Warning about cheering in Utah press box. Only press box I know of that has stat people in same room as reporters."



In fact, he later tweeted, "I am not there. But in the past, the folks I noticed cheering were the stat people in the second row."



Was there something I missed?
S
stgeorgefan
IowaCougar wrote:
Jay Drew is a jerk and extremely anti-BYU. His stories and posts always emphasis negative aspects about BYU.


You mean like half of the people who post on this site?




:P :lol: :D :lol: :P :lol: :D :lol: :P :lol: :D :lol: :P :lol: :D :lol:
L
Lawboy
I don't care where Drew went and who he roots for. I didn't hire him, and I don't have to read his stuff at the Trib. Total non-issue.



After BYU beats the U we can all twitter troll him anyway.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.