Archived Topic

Can someone explain to me what 550 yards means?

by frdbtr · 9/10/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I seem to be too blue goggled to understand this so I would like some of you who are smarter than me to explain it. Since Texas has the 3rd worst defense we will face all year and we just ran on them for 550 yards, I wanted to find out what it means from you who are smarter than me.



Here are some stats that I wanted you all to analyze for me as well.



Hawaii 2012 (I figured they have a worse defense than Texas but I don't think I do so please explain it) BYU had 425 yards rushing, 125 yards less.



Utah 96 (Utah had an obvious rush defensive deficiency this year, should we put an asterisk next to the rushing totals since their rush defense sucked that year?) 376 yards 174 less than we rushed against Texas.



My final thought: I don't care who it was against, it was an impressive thing that BYU did last weekend. We probably are going to see teams sell out to stop the read option run in the future but frankly, I think that will just make our offense more explosive. Taysom can throw the ball, we have already seen that from what he did last year. He is going to improve this year and when it happens, our offense is going to be special. If the defense can continue to do what it has done since Bronco took over mid 2010, this could be a fun year. Now there are a lot of "if's" there but none of them are out of the realm of possibility.
S
SpiffCoug
I think it means we have some players who are very fast at rushing the ball and some linemen who are blocking to such a degree that big chunks of yards are possible.



I think is also an inflated number, one that isn't likely repeatable. But it shows that the high water mark of the rushing game is extremely high.
C
Cougs_Rule
A moderate sized par 5.

A very long wind sprint.

Just under 1/3 of a mile.

Down and back 3 and a half times.

Just joshin.



-A high rushing watermark for this season. Not likely to be repreated but not impossible.

-a BYU record

-the convergence of an overconfident., underprepared, strikingly talented but woefully coached group of Texas football players who met a very very motivated, unleashed, very hungry, "nothing to lose" set of fast, surprisingly fast, guys, whi have a substandard passing attack, but are led by a group of mean, aggressive Olinemen with a scheme that had 62 Plays by halftime and could have easily eclipsed an unheard of 100 plays. How's that?

But if you mean will we ever see it again, I would say its possible. Maybe not probable.

-oh and one more meaning. This year will have two players with 1,000 plus yard rushers and one (Lasike) with 500-700 yards--if they don't get injured with all those carries.
B
BoiseBYU
Almost 1/3 of a mile.....
S
scott715
And we could have had another 100 yards if the game was close.
Advertisement
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
Texas has the 3rd worst defense we will face all year.



Here are some stats that I wanted you all to analyze for me as well. Hawaii 2012 (I figured they have a worse defense than Texas) BYU had 425 yards rushing, 125 yards less.

Texas had the 4th worst rush defense last year of the teams on our schedule this year.



And yes, Texas' run D was worse than Hawaii's last year.
N
nickdutson
Man someone is so bitter and just can't accept that his argument has no grounds to stand on.
C
Cougarbib
I don't get why we are only talking about the 550. There was only about 129 or so passing, but get the whole 679 on the table and add an ASTERISK because, Bronco told Hill to quit running late in the game or we would be talking about 650 and 800 or so.



Still raises the same impossible to answer questions, though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
nickdutson
Even BYU's own Brandon Gurney who is considered to be a homer by most tweeted "Texas was no. 121 in rushing defense last season...yes, what BYU did against that front was impressive, but let's not get carried away."



No one is not stoked on the win and taking anything legitimately away from what we did. But most of us assumed Texas' problems from last year would be worked out and they most certainly were not. Did they deserve a top 15 ranking, NO but still a name brand university that recruits better than most with pathetic coaching.
G
Guest
Putting 550 up on anyone is a pretty awesome feat and should be enjoyed. How many teams had 550 yards rushed against this year or last year? Even teams with worse rushing defenses than Texas?
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
I agree with Hawk-dawg. Racking up 550 yards on the ground is impressive. Especially against Texas and the #15 AP team that week.



Let's put this in perspective. This past week #25 USC played unrated Washington St.



Everybody knows, USC recruits very well and hast a storied history in "O-line" and vaunted RB's. It's safe to say USC's running game is legendary. They are stacked with high end athletes.



While BYU was grinding out 550 yards on the ground last Sat., USC gained 139 yards rushing against an un-rated Washington St.



Also, USC (who is also legendary for their QB's and WR's) gained 54 yards passing - total. In comparison, BYU logged 129 yards. Not great. Not what to BYU has done in the past. But, more than double what USC accomplished.



Note, against an unranked opponent USC had 193 yards total offense. BYU had 679 total.



So, before you tell me I am comparing apples to oranges. What I am saying is, BYU had a very special game last Sat. against a stellar program. I am enjoying the heck out of it. I personally did not predict a W for the Cougs.



Will BYU have this much offensive success against they Yewts? I say No. For whatever reason, last Sat. in LES the stars aligned and BYU capitalized on the opportunity that they helped create - thru preparation - athletic ability - energy - focus - grit - that raw "wanna win" football fire - and some dumb luck catching Texas on a bad day. It is what is is.



Good for us. It was a spectacular game. I am still nervous for Utah, Notre Dame, Utah St. and Wisconsin. They are not going to roll over and show us their belly.



Still - I am impressed with this team at this time. We have some real potential with a lot of games to play.



Go Cougs!
S
SpiffCoug
Texas was 88th in rushing defense last year. There were two 10-win teams that were even worse (Oklahoma & Nebraska).
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
Texas was 88th in rushing defense last year. There were two 10-win teams that were even worse (Oklahoma & Nebraska).


So they have probably both had teams put 550 yards of rushing on them, right?
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
Texas was 88th in rushing defense last year. There were two 10-win teams that were even worse (Oklahoma & Nebraska).


So they have probably both had teams put 550 yards of rushing on them, right?

Nope.



Most on them last year was 343 by Oklahoma
R
rblack
Last year, BYU averaged 147 yards per game. This year BYU has two players averaging over 150 yards per game.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Cool stat. Balanced by the unfortunate truth that passing numbers are probably lower YoY, compared to past year--which, all things considered, is not good.

But offensive productivity is what it is, we'll take it. And hope passing improves.
L
Lawboy
Texas was #67 is total defense, giving up 404 ypg. BYU got over 670, so 270 yards above that 2012 average. Texas was also the worst run D in teh B12 last year, giving up 198 ypg. BYU ran for 550, so 350 yards above that average from 2012. In other words, 2.5x the average.



Texas is not as bad as BYU made them seem, and BYU is not as great as teh Texas scheme made them look.



Having said that, it was the best Oline blocking performance for BYU since 2009 and maybe even since 2006, and that includes pushing around a poor Hawaii teams last year,
S
SpiffCoug
Through 2 games BYU is averaging 3.4 plays per point and 18.6 yards per point.



Last year BYU averaged 2.7 plays per point and 13.9 yards per point.



Efficiency must get better offensively. Some other years:

2011: 2.4 ppp 13.5 ypp

2010: 2.8 ppp 14.0 ypp

2009: 1.9 ppp 12.0 ypp

2008: 2.1 ppp 13.0 ypp

2007: 2.5 ppp 14.7 ypp

2006: 1.8 ppp 12.6 ypp

2005: 2.4 ppp 14.1 ypp
F
frdbtr
I knew there were some smart people on this board. Oh and by the way, Texas' defense was not worse than Hawaii's last year. I would bet if Hawaii played in the Big 12 last year their defense would have been rated worse then it was.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
Through 2 games BYU is averaging 3.4 plays per point and 18.6 yards per point.



Last year BYU averaged 2.7 plays per point and 13.9 yards per point.



Efficiency must get better offensively. Some other years:

2011: 2.4 ppp 13.5 ypp

2010: 2.8 ppp 14.0 ypp

2009: 1.9 ppp 12.0 ypp

2008: 2.1 ppp 13.0 ypp

2007: 2.5 ppp 14.7 ypp

2006: 1.8 ppp 12.6 ypp

2005: 2.4 ppp 14.1 ypp


I agree. The offense is not very efficient yet. Needs to improve passing dramatically. If Passing improves to what it should be, this offense is going to be scary good.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.