Archived Topic

Harvey Going Pro?

by BYULV · 11/30/2009

Advertisement
B
BYULV
What are your thoughts on Harvey skipping his senior year?



I personally think he is a great running back and am glad we have him, but I don't think he is a typical NFL style running back and would struggle at the next level due to lack of speed. Maybe a FB?
S
snoscythe
I think he's gone, and he'll go late 3rd, early 4th round, so an early second day pick.



I also think it's a wise decision.
C
craigoscarson
NFL running backs have such a short shelf life, that the league is always looking for another. He's got some appeal with his size and ability to get a yard, catch the ball out of the backfield and potentially learn the fullback position (though he's not a fullback right now, not even close)



Next year is a rebuilding season for the Cougs and Harvey will be the focus of the opposing defense, daring whoever we throw in the mix at QB to throw the ball.



The bright side, is that Harv would also me the most reliable weapon we have and could rush for 2000 yards (if used correctly) with the returning offensive line we have.



Whatever he decides, I wish him well. He's been in the mix at BYU for a lot of wins and never spoken up or complained when a lot of us believe that he should have gotten the ball a lot more.



If he does actually decide to return, I'll be the 1st to go out and buy his '84 throwback jersey and I'll put him firmly on my top 5 fav Cougar list for doing such; but I wouldn't blame him for leaving.



Brian Kariya, JJ Dliuigi, and even Drew Philips will be a nice change of pace.... but I liked having that beef in the backfield on pass protection.
G
gmj81
I'd love to have him back but wouldn't fault him for jumping early. He's proved at he can to the NFL folks in his three years starting. I'd wager he'd be a second day pick but in which round I haven't the foggiest really. His overall value is through the roof but I can see how the NFL would think he's not good enough at any one thing.



I've said this before but if I were Harvey and found out I'd likely be a 6th or 7th rounder, I'd heavily lean towards staying one more year at BYU. His very presence could be the factor between the Cougars winning 7-8 and winning 10 again. But if I found out I'd likely go higher than the 6th, I'd lean heavily towards entering the draft. Harvey doesn't owe BYU anything and the higher you get drafted the more time a team is going hang on to you just because of the financial investment they've made to see if you can become what they hoped you'd become.
W
Wickchad
I don't see Harvey being picked before the 5th round. I don't see Harvey improving his draft position by coming back for his senior year either. Being that is the case I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the draft this year.



He more than likely will have a career as a FB in the NFL. He isn't fast enough or durable enough to be a feature back in the NFL which is why he won't end up being drafted high even with 4 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons in college.
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
I see the likelihood of him leaving at around 90%
L
Lawboy
I think it will be 100% likely he submits his name for draft position review, just as Collie did. And I think it 99% likely he goes to the draft. Only thing I see to keep Harvey out are his recurring injury issues. Scouts may want to see him last a full year without injury issues, bulk up to play FB, and that could keep him around 1 more year. But I doubt it. And the thought of BYU having a new QB, running with Kariya and Diliugi, new TE's, and using the WRs they way we did this year does not excite me for 2010. I see a major rebuild on O.
P
pikoi
He is gone. Guaranteed.
B
BYUTIME
Lawboy wrote:
I think it will be 100% likely he submits his name for draft position review, just as Collie did. And I think it 99% likely he goes to the draft. Only thing I see to keep Harvey out are his recurring injury issues. Scouts may want to see him last a full year without injury issues, bulk up to play FB, and that could keep him around 1 more year. But I doubt it. And the thought of BYU having a new QB, running with Kariya and Diliugi, new TE's, and using the WRs they way we did this year does not excite me for 2010. I see a major rebuild on O.


I think his troubles with reoccurring injuries will give him reason to go, now.



The dude is an animal, and plays hard every down. He will be a huge asset to any team. Also think Fui's success at landing a spot on an NFL team will give him even more reason to go.
S
Short_Change
He should go and I think he will go even though I will miss seeing him run over people. He will get drafted and I think he'll be a third-down back. He won't start but he'll get some PT on 3rd downs and short yardage situations. The fact that he's got great hands will get him on the field too. I think he'll be used like Lendale White but since he has good hands he has more potential.
Advertisement
W
westidahocougar
I would hope that he would come back, but like others have said, he probably will not improve his stock next year.



The problem for running backs in the NFL is that they are dime a dozen. Even Adrian Peterson who (though injury prone in college) was picked 7th, not higher, though he was a beast in college, and probably one of the best collegiate players ever.



There are a lot of great college backs that dont make it in the NFL, and I fear Harvey would be one of them.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.