Archived Topic

Takeaways from LES

by Stirfry · 9/9/2013

Advertisement
S
Stirfry
Our field was unbelievable. Comparing the FSU game a few years back when the field was brand new to this last game was night and day. During the FSU game, there were 30 employees running out to fix giant divots all the time. On Saturday, after the worst rain storms I can remember in Utah, I don't remember seeing one divot come up and the field looked great at the end of the game. I wish every team had real turf.



The "ribbon" around the end zones was actually used for football news, scores, and stats, a few times last week. I don't remember that ever happening last year so that was good.



It's still strange when it goes from a bright ad to a dark ad and it feels like a cloud just covered up the sun in the stadium. I wonder if it messes with the players at all.



It was weird having the band on the south side and down lower. They didn't seem as loud which isn't all bad, just weird.
H
HoosierCougar
Stirfry wrote:
Our field was unbelievable. Comparing the FSU game a few years back when the field was brand new to this last game was night and day. During the FSU game, there were 30 employees running out to fix giant divots all the time. On Saturday, after the worst rain storms I can remember in Utah, I don't remember seeing one divot come up and the field looked great at the end of the game. I wish every team had real turf.



The "ribbon" around the end zones was actually used for football news, scores, and stats, a few times last week. I don't remember that ever happening last year so that was good.



It's still strange when it goes from a bright ad to a dark ad and it feels like a cloud just covered up the sun in the stadium. I wonder if it messes with the players at all.



It was weird having the band on the south side and down lower. They didn't seem as loud which isn't all bad, just weird.




Agree on all fronts.



As for the band, it made us North Endzone fans have to work a little harder to keep time with the fight song. we were ahead, then we were behind.

You'd think that with the band in the south and the speakers in the north, we'd get the sync taken care of and all be together. fortunately, we had ample opportunities to work on the timing.

;)
S
Stirfry
Oh, and I came away refocused to make more money, so I can be a big donor, so I can demand we show more replays, or at least replays that aren't focused in so close that you can't tell what's happening. Other than that, love the new score boards from last year ;)
S
Stirfry
HoosierCougar wrote:
Our field was unbelievable. Comparing the FSU game a few years back when the field was brand new to this last game was night and day. During the FSU game, there were 30 employees running out to fix giant divots all the time. On Saturday, after the worst rain storms I can remember in Utah, I don't remember seeing one divot come up and the field looked great at the end of the game. I wish every team had real turf.



The "ribbon" around the end zones was actually used for football news, scores, and stats, a few times last week. I don't remember that ever happening last year so that was good.



It's still strange when it goes from a bright ad to a dark ad and it feels like a cloud just covered up the sun in the stadium. I wonder if it messes with the players at all.



It was weird having the band on the south side and down lower. They didn't seem as loud which isn't all bad, just weird.




Agree on all fronts.



As for the band, it made us North Endzone fans have to work a little harder to keep time with the fight song. we were ahead, then we were behind.

You'd think that with the band in the south and the speakers in the north, we'd get the sync taken care of and all be together. fortunately, we had ample opportunities to work on the timing.

;)


There was one post TD fight song where our entire section (West side North end this year) finished the song about 12 seconds before it apparently was supposed to end :P It was like we were singing a round and then we all looked around like, "what just happened"! It was pretty funny.
G
Guest
HoosierCougar wrote:
Our field was unbelievable. Comparing the FSU game a few years back when the field was brand new to this last game was night and day. During the FSU game, there were 30 employees running out to fix giant divots all the time. On Saturday, after the worst rain storms I can remember in Utah, I don't remember seeing one divot come up and the field looked great at the end of the game. I wish every team had real turf.



The "ribbon" around the end zones was actually used for football news, scores, and stats, a few times last week. I don't remember that ever happening last year so that was good.



It's still strange when it goes from a bright ad to a dark ad and it feels like a cloud just covered up the sun in the stadium. I wonder if it messes with the players at all.



It was weird having the band on the south side and down lower. They didn't seem as loud which isn't all bad, just weird.




Agree on all fronts.



As for the band, it made us North Endzone fans have to work a little harder to keep time with the fight song. we were ahead, then we were behind.

You'd think that with the band in the south and the speakers in the north, we'd get the sync taken care of and all be together. fortunately, we had ample opportunities to work on the timing.

;)


Something was odd with the speakers last night, or maybe they aren't micing the band in the new location? Where we were in the South bleachers, very West edge we could hardly hear the band at all, at least I couldn't.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
You are right, field was amazing! Atmosphere was awesome.

Storm was Monsoonal!

Ribbon, meh.

Replay screens--still awesome!



REFS!!! $&;#%^}£. I guess they feared Mack would have them fired. I havent seen such whistle swallowing since,.... well, since, Remember the Titans. How they missed the first roughing kicker call or tackling Falslev; or the personal foul in last quarter not to mention the horrible PI call is astounding. Certainly no home cooking one our own field.
M
Mars
Stirfry wrote:
Our field was unbelievable. Comparing the FSU game a few years back when the field was brand new to this last game was night and day.



The "ribbon" around the end zones was actually used for football news, scores, and stats, a few times last week. I don't remember that ever happening last year so that was good.



It's still strange when it goes from a bright ad to a dark ad and it feels like a cloud just covered up the sun in the stadium. I wonder if it messes with the players at all.



It was weird having the band on the south side and down lower. They didn't seem as loud which isn't all bad, just weird.

I saw other game scores and BYU game stats on the ribbon boards, for the first time ever. That was awesome. Though yes, it does still cast a "lightning effect" when it goes from a black screen to a white or yellow screen.



The band has always been in the middle of the North side endzone, now they are at the bottom of the South side endzone. This does make the fight sorry harder to hear/sing, but the change was to make them louder for the students/players, without anyone having to sit directly in front of them anymore. Those used to be the worst seats in the house.



Oh, and the 4-sided flag drop at midfield at the end of the 3rd quarter? Awesome.



Also, BYU flew a large BYU flag opposite a large Texas flag above the South endzone. We didn't do that last year. It showed good respect for an opponent like that.



Good changes this season.
J
jonnylingo
My only complaint was them playing loud music while our offense was on the field, right up until they snapped the ball. :gross:
S
SpiffCoug
The banners between the 3rd & 4th quarters was pretty cool. Although Schmoe did get a hankering for a crappy Cosmo video.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
The banners between the 3rd & 4th quarters was pretty cool. Although Schmoe did get a hankering for a crappy Cosmo video.


i was trying to figure out if it was cool or corny. i still can't tell.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
jonnylingo wrote:
The banners between the 3rd & 4th quarters was pretty cool. Although Schmoe did get a hankering for a crappy Cosmo video.


i was trying to figure out if it was cool or corny. i still can't tell.


Yeah, it was alright, but I don't think it got the response they were hoping for...
E
EM_Puma
That field was amazing to have had soooooo much water pour down and I don't remember seeing one person slip or give the impression that it was slippery. It was amazing.
S
Schmoe
SpiffCoug wrote:
The banners between the 3rd & 4th quarters was pretty cool. Although Schmoe did get a hankering for a crappy Cosmo video.


I was hoping for Cosmeption: where Cosmo goes into a football game, within a football game, within another football game...
S
Stirfry
Two replays! After the dropped Hoffman TD with the targeting penalty, we were blessed with two replays of the same play! I don't know if it was because the intern was running the scoreboard or what but it was blessing from above.



(My guess is it was an accident because it was on a play/call that would create a lot of boos)
B
billbillbillbill
Stirfry wrote:
Two replays! After the dropped Hoffman TD with the targeting penalty, we were blessed with two replays of the same play! I don't know if it was because the intern was running the scoreboard or what but it was blessing from above.



(My guess is it was an accident because it was on a play/call that would create a lot of boos)

We nearly fell out of our chairs when they showed the slow motion Hoffman replay. Hopefully that will continue.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.