Archived Topic

So Texas in the rear view mirror...

by craigoscarson · 9/9/2013

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/68088/texas-longhorns-a-top-five-preseason-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



What kind of team did we just beat? I'm not sure I know... but I've found Phil Steele to be a relatively decent source preseason...

Steele ran the numbers and five of his nine power ratings see an undefeated season for the Longhorns, and he says Texas will win the Big 12. Critique if you'd like, but Steele reminds us of the last time he picked Texas to win the Big 12: 2009, when the Longhorns went 12-0 and played for a national title.


http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/68088/texas-longhorns-a-top-five-preseason-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Now, the talent might be top 5... but we know the coaching isn't. But what can texas accomplish for the remainder of the season?



Was our Oline, Taysom and RB group that good? Is our D that good? Or are they that bad?



Virginia looked awful against us and awful against Oregon... was it just 1st game jitters or bad luck or are we that team on the road this year? I'm really really sick about that pass to Williams and I'm hoping to get over it, but our D was so good in that game, I almost threw a glass through the tv as soon as the pass was thrown.



http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4683982/espn-preseason-rankings-no-14-texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Did Texas just get the Notre Dame treatment in the rankings or can they still have a special season? Did they lay an egg ala Virginia or will it be impossible for them to right the ship? I'm stumped
B
BroncoBot
All good questions. you do know that those are Texas PREseason rankings though, right? 8)
C
craigoscarson
well aware...
C
Cougarfan87
You know, it is best to learn from other's mistakes, but sometimes you have to learn from your own. Would the O-line have been completely revamped had we beaten UVA? I'm not sure it would have. And would the UVA O-line have been able to open the running lanes against Texas the way the reshuffled O-line did? Perhaps that loss, as painful as it is, was just the thing the team needed to play with more heart and assert its will. Even Nick Saban says that his toughest job is to get his players motivated to play each week according to their capability.



If you were listening to Anae in the pre-season, he said it was a marathon--meaning, I assume, that we weren't going to be firing on all cylinders the first game. The Texas game is a glimpse of what a great running game we can have. Now we need to piece together a great passing game off of that brutal running game threat to take advantage of those that will load the box against us. Once that happens, we will be lights out. Of course, that probably will not fully happen this year. And it will not be fully engrained in the program until the style of players needed for this offense are recruited. Remember these players were not recruited for this offense.



There will be other growing pains. We must be patient as a fan base, but I am very encouraged that we now have something going here that may allow us to win games consistently against the big boys. Maybe not this year, but as the offense develops. I don't see the Texas game as an indicator that we will dominate the rest of the year. The passing game was atrocious, and you have to have both. I do see it as a proof of concept of what can be with this offense. And I think I :love: it.
C
Cougarfan87
Double post.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Triple post. Yeah, that's right!
N
northerncougar
Cougarfan87 wrote:
You know, it is best to learn from other's mistakes, but sometimes you have to learn from your own. Would the O-line have been completely revamped had we beaten UVA? I'm not sure it would have. And would the UVA O-line have been able to open the running lanes against Texas the way the reshuffled O-line did? Perhaps that loss, as painful as it is, was just the thing the team needed to play with more heart and assert its will. Even Nick Saban says that his toughest job is to get his players motivated to play each week according to their capability.



If you were listening to Anae in the pre-season, he said it was a marathon--meaning, I assume, that we weren't going to be firing on all cylinders the first game. The Texas game is a glimpse of what a great running game we can have. Now we need to piece together a great passing game off of that brutal running game threat to take advantage of those that will load the box against us. Once that happens, we will be lights out. Of course, that probably will not fully happen this year. And it will not be fully engrained in the program until the style of players needed for this offense are recruited. Remember these players were not recruited for this offense.



There will be other growing pains. We must be patient as a fan base, but I am very encouraged that we now have something going here that may allow us to win games consistently against the big boys. Maybe not this year, but as the offense develops. I don't see the Texas game as an indicator that we will dominate the rest of the year. The passing game was atrocious, and you have to have both. I do see it as a proof of concept of what can be with this offense. And I think I :love: it.


Okay, we get it.



;)
F
frdbtr
northerncougar wrote:
You know, it is best to learn from other's mistakes, but sometimes you have to learn from your own. Would the O-line have been completely revamped had we beaten UVA? I'm not sure it would have. And would the UVA O-line have been able to open the running lanes against Texas the way the reshuffled O-line did? Perhaps that loss, as painful as it is, was just the thing the team needed to play with more heart and assert its will. Even Nick Saban says that his toughest job is to get his players motivated to play each week according to their capability.



If you were listening to Anae in the pre-season, he said it was a marathon--meaning, I assume, that we weren't going to be firing on all cylinders the first game. The Texas game is a glimpse of what a great running game we can have. Now we need to piece together a great passing game off of that brutal running game threat to take advantage of those that will load the box against us. Once that happens, we will be lights out. Of course, that probably will not fully happen this year. And it will not be fully engrained in the program until the style of players needed for this offense are recruited. Remember these players were not recruited for this offense.



There will be other growing pains. We must be patient as a fan base, but I am very encouraged that we now have something going here that may allow us to win games consistently against the big boys. Maybe not this year, but as the offense develops. I don't see the Texas game as an indicator that we will dominate the rest of the year. The passing game was atrocious, and you have to have both. I do see it as a proof of concept of what can be with this offense. And I think I :love: it.


Okay, we get it.



;)


LOL! The site has some serious lag going on. I have had dupe posts too.
C
Cougarfan87
northerncougar wrote:
You know, it is best to learn from other's mistakes, but sometimes you have to learn from your own. Would the O-line have been completely revamped had we beaten UVA? I'm not sure it would have. And would the UVA O-line have been able to open the running lanes against Texas the way the reshuffled O-line did? Perhaps that loss, as painful as it is, was just the thing the team needed to play with more heart and assert its will. Even Nick Saban says that his toughest job is to get his players motivated to play each week according to their capability.



If you were listening to Anae in the pre-season, he said it was a marathon--meaning, I assume, that we weren't going to be firing on all cylinders the first game. The Texas game is a glimpse of what a great running game we can have. Now we need to piece together a great passing game off of that brutal running game threat to take advantage of those that will load the box against us. Once that happens, we will be lights out. Of course, that probably will not fully happen this year. And it will not be fully engrained in the program until the style of players needed for this offense are recruited. Remember these players were not recruited for this offense.



There will be other growing pains. We must be patient as a fan base, but I am very encouraged that we now have something going here that may allow us to win games consistently against the big boys. Maybe not this year, but as the offense develops. I don't see the Texas game as an indicator that we will dominate the rest of the year. The passing game was atrocious, and you have to have both. I do see it as a proof of concept of what can be with this offense. And I think I :love: it.


Okay, we get it.



;)


I've heard you have to say things three times to get people to remember. :lol:
J
jonnylingo
I honestly don't think Texas is very good. I thought we had a decent shot at winning but didn't believe we would because i had not faith that our offensive line would come out and dominate like they did. it just didn't seem likely.



If our oline can play that way every game we will be in every single game this year. we



taysom will lose a few games this year that we could have won because of his passing but i suspect he will improve each game and by years end will really be clicking.



Utah is going to stack the box. i hope our pass protection, qb play, and wide receiver play is reading in two weeks. losing to va might end up being the best thing that could have happened to this team.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I'm afraid Texas will have another bad year and this win won't mean very much. I have high hopes, thanks to the UVA loss, that the team is not cocky and realizes there is a lot more football to be played. We will have some bad games this year and need to play clutch ball. As long as we are able to run the ball effectively against every team on our schedule we will do very well.



One win vs a suspect UT D does nothing for my season predictions. So imo, the Utah game is huge for the program! Have we turned a mental corner or was UT a mirage?
J
jonnylingo
mizzoucoug wrote:
I'm afraid Texas will have another bad year and this win won't mean very much. I have high hopes, thanks to the UVA loss, that the team is not cocky and realizes there is a lot more football to be played. We will have some bad games this year and need to play clutch ball. As long as we are able to run the ball effectively against every team on our schedule we will do very well.



One win vs a suspect UT D does nothing for my season predictions. So imo, the Utah game is huge for the program! Have we turned a mental corner or was UT a mirage?


I was worried about this as well, but I think that Ash is a very good qb and I also think that byu's defense is really really good.



for that reason i still have hope. will they win the big12, no, but if they bounce back this week i have hope for them. i don't think they are that good though. i am expecting 7 to 8 wins for them.
C
Cougs_Rule
Hubris-- means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicated a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments, or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power. Hubris is usually associated with the simple-minded. Wikipedia.





Diaz--we don't have to stack the box with our safeties. we are faster and have elite athletes.

Team--BYU sucked vs UVA. We will kill them. Air masks stupid trick.

All of Texas--BYU QB cant throw, BYU qb seems a step slower, WRs can't catch, BYU Oline sucks.

Texas Psyche/hubris = BYU Psyche/hubris vs UVA. "We can beat them with an average game."
N
northerncougar
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
You know, it is best to learn from other's mistakes, but sometimes you have to learn from your own. Would the O-line have been completely revamped had we beaten UVA? I'm not sure it would have. And would the UVA O-line have been able to open the running lanes against Texas the way the reshuffled O-line did? Perhaps that loss, as painful as it is, was just the thing the team needed to play with more heart and assert its will. Even Nick Saban says that his toughest job is to get his players motivated to play each week according to their capability.



If you were listening to Anae in the pre-season, he said it was a marathon--meaning, I assume, that we weren't going to be firing on all cylinders the first game. The Texas game is a glimpse of what a great running game we can have. Now we need to piece together a great passing game off of that brutal running game threat to take advantage of those that will load the box against us. Once that happens, we will be lights out. Of course, that probably will not fully happen this year. And it will not be fully engrained in the program until the style of players needed for this offense are recruited. Remember these players were not recruited for this offense.



There will be other growing pains. We must be patient as a fan base, but I am very encouraged that we now have something going here that may allow us to win games consistently against the big boys. Maybe not this year, but as the offense develops. I don't see the Texas game as an indicator that we will dominate the rest of the year. The passing game was atrocious, and you have to have both. I do see it as a proof of concept of what can be with this offense. And I think I :love: it.


Okay, we get it.



;)


I've heard you have to say things three times to get people to remember. :lol:


Now that's funny!



Now that's funny!



Now that's funny!



:crazy:
G
Gunk
Was reading some of the comments from UT fans on some of the articles and you'd think they lost to an FCS team.



I get they're down. But it's not like they lost to a nobody. I hope UT pulls a BYU and gets it together after a tough loss.



More importantly, I hope BYU goes 11 - 1 and show the rest of nation that UT didn't lose to a nobody.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
Was reading some of the comments from UT fans on some of the articles and you'd think they lost to an FCS team.



I get they're down. But it's not like they lost to a nobody. I hope UT pulls a BYU and gets it together after a tough loss.



More importantly, I hope BYU goes 11 - 1 and show the rest of nation that UT didn't lose to a nobody.


Fans comments on aritcles do not represent all Texas fans.

but, Hubris. It's a loss of reality. It's why UT is struggling--at most all levels. The whole Big 12 is to some degree responsible for indulging UT and enabling them to think that they are all that and a bag of BBQ chips. Everyone except reasonable folks like Hookem and Hookemhorns.

And BYU risks over generalizing this huge win and thinking they are all that and choke vs Utah.
C
CAFB_04-12
Fan comments on any online news source are the root of all evil.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.