R
redneckjediWe talk a lot about PER and how it correlates with wins. In the Texas game, it wasn't even close. Hill's PER was 58.65, and the Texas QBs combined for 129.3. So I tried to come up with a rating system that would help account for Hill's legs as well as his arm.
What I did is count each rushing play as a passing attempt, each positive rush as a completion, a rushing TD as a passing TD, and a fumble lost as an interception. Here are the numbers from Texas:
Observations on this and other things:
Anyway, I found it interesting and helpful to look at things through this lens. I hope some of you do, too.
What I did is count each rushing play as a passing attempt, each positive rush as a completion, a rushing TD as a passing TD, and a fumble lost as an interception. Here are the numbers from Texas:
+--------------+--------------------+--------+
| Player(s) | ATT CMP YDS TD INT | RATING |
+--------------+--------------------+--------+
| Hill (pass) | 26 9 129 0 1 | 68.60 |
| Hill (run) | 17 15 259 3 1 | 262.68 |
| Hill (total) | 43 24 388 3 2 | 145.33 |
+--------------+--------------------+--------+
| Texas (pass) | 44 24 313 2 0 | 129.30 |
| Texas (run) | 18 13 23 0 0 | 82.95 |
| Texas (total)| 62 37 336 2 0 | 115.85 |
+--------------+--------------------+--------+
Observations on this and other things:
- Neither my rating nor PER accounts for first downs, or unconverted 3rd downs. A pass completed for 10 yards on 3rd and 15 should not be considered as successful as the same pass on 3rd and 5, or 1st or 2nd down.
- Counting rushes the way I did is probably too generous. I should probably use 3 yards minimum to count as complete, unless you pick up a first down or TD with that short run.
- This metric actually puts Hill right around our key number of 138, and Texas 20 points below us, explaining the win.
- It would be interesting to retroactively apply this to all of our games and see if it's a better indicator of victory than PER. Unfortunately, you have to go play-by-play to get the data; you can't just use box scores.
- Has anybody noticed that Justin Sorensen is perfect on field goals and extra points so far? Kickoffs could use some work, but that's been a nice surprise so far. Knock on wood...
Anyway, I found it interesting and helpful to look at things through this lens. I hope some of you do, too.

