Archived Topic

Robertson Daniel = Lockdown Corner

by snoscythe · 9/8/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Daniel has been keeping his side of the field ironclad defensively the last two weeks. The kid has been a stud and looks to be stepping right into the shoes we thought JJ would be wearing this season.



I also think his coverage is forcing the opposing QBs to go to PoVey's side more often because Daniel's side of the field just isn't a viable option for much of anything deep.
B
BroncoBot
Playing really well. Povey needs some work, but I'm sure Bronco will scheme enough to make him somewhat effective. I'm starting to see why Bronco rated his concern with the secondary as a 4/10.
G
Guest
Excellent observation. He really is doing a fantastic job.
Q
Qman
Both PoVey and Daniel are showing the ability to make tackles in the open field.



Daniel isn't anything near a shutdown corner but he isn't bad. PoVey doesn't seem to have the necessary speed.
C
cougarsunited
I think neither Texas nor Virginia have really capitalized on our defensive weakness, yes, our d-line is quite solid and we are putting good pressure on the QB, but as soon as an offense is going to throw extensively on us, we will be in quite the trouble. But yes, Daniel has been great, our secondary is playing fairly well, but like I said, I think there will come teams that are going to be able to expose that weak part of our defense and then we'll better have an offensive game like last night.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
People need to remember with PoVey that he is pretty much playing on one wheel. He's torn his plantar fascia THREE times in the last year, the most recent at the beginning of fall camp.



We are just that far down the depth chart at this point--a kid who should be taking the year off to heal up is playing because we need him even at less than 100%.
C
Cougs_Rule
Same with Leavitt now who I think has a concussion. But he got some rare PT as a true frosh. Povey can hit hard and that helps.
H
HoosierCougar
Daniel is a big man. He's listed at 6'1" 198. From my seat in the North Endzone, he looks a LOT bigger than that. Anxious to see him progress through the season!



Go Cougars!
C
craigoscarson
Our secondary is still suspect to me. Thank goodness for the front 7 that are scaring other teams s**tless. I like Daniel as a tackler and he's certainly a revelation considering our losses, but I think a team can throw on these guys. I would not want to play Fresno State right now or any team with a really experienced corps of receivers and an NFL bound QB. That being said, Dan Sorenson is making an argument to the NFL. Craig Bills doesn't get out of position much and is one hell of an open field tackler. The corners have warts, but so far we've covered them well.



We should be 2-0 and in the top 25 right now if our O-line had figured it out last week and that Hill to Williams pass goes anything but the way it did. I kind of like the idea of having a chip on our shoulders going into the Utah game, because I want our guys to know they have a lot of work to do.



This is the season for me. I don't care if we go .500 this year as long as we beat Utah and get to a bowl game. We already played our history making game; now we have to beat Utah. Travis Wilson scares me just a tad, the dude can throw the ball (and he has some decent receivers) and Utah is going to be aware of our warts. I can only imagine Travis is also scared though too. Fua, Kafusi, Van Noy, EM scary all playing lights out
B
beauso79
I think Trevor Bateman could be our answer at FC if he can get up to speed with the defense fast enough. Dude has some wheels if Bronco will give him a chance. This would allow Daniel to be moved back to BC
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Yep best thing for a week secondary is a strong pass rush. Something I think we have this year.
R
runbyu1
SpiffCoug wrote:
Yep best thing for a week secondary is a strong pass rush. Something I think we have this year.


Indeed! Good thing too, because we have been burned almost every single snap that the opposing QB has had any kind of time. Luckily for us, their receivers have dropped easy balls and our pass rush isn't giving much time very often.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.