Archived Topic

Congrats, Gentlemen.

by Hookem · 9/8/2013

Advertisement
H
Hookem
Played and amazing game. Hoping you have a great season! -Hookem
B
BroncoBot
Thanks for always keeping it classy. Would love to have Texas on the schedule every year. Best of luck in the coming season.
F
frdbtr
You are a true gentleman Hookem. it has been a pleasure having you contribute to our board. Good luck to you all for the rest of the season. We want to see you win out.
C
cougarnerd
Agreed. Sorry about Johnson and Ash getting hurt. Hope they get better soon.
V
vancouvercougar
Thanks for visiting us Hookem. Not many here predicted this outcome, and most were simply hoping for a close game. I am a Texas fan for the rest of the year.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
You're a classy dude, Hook'em, as were all but one of the Texas fans I met today. Good luck the rest of the season.
C
Cougs_Rule
Thanks Hookem. Would love to hear your analysis. Was Texas looking past BYU? Was Texas overrated? Did BYU just play out of their heads? Did Texas just have a bad game? Don't want to rub salt in wounds, just respect your opinion.

Best,
H
HoosierCougar
Hookem - you added great perspective and have always been high class. Thanks for coming around and stop back any time.
I
imuakahuku
HoosierCougar wrote:
Hookem - you added great perspective and have always been high class. Thanks for coming around and stop back any time.

Ditto. Hope you guys win out now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
Hookem
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Thanks Hookem. Would love to hear your analysis. Was Texas looking past BYU? Did BYU just play out of their heads? Did Texas just have a bad game? Don't want to rub salt in wounds, just respect your opinion.

Best,


I'll keep my analysis short and candid. I could go on for pages on what went wrong last night, and most of that has to do with the overall health of the program and the fact that what Texas football is now, has been years in the making, even before Colt McCoy played his last game in a Texas uniform, but you're not interested in that.



Also, please don't take anything I say as trying to away from your win last night. You played an amazing game and left Texas fans envious of what a team that plays with absolute heart and outright toughness should look like.



Was Texas Looking Past BYU?



I don't think so, but I will say that I was confident up until I noticed the team's overall body language on the field at the very beginning of the game. This has been a staple of Mack's teams over the years, and is almost always a sure tell sign of a loss. It doesn't mean they're looking past an opponent, it means that for what ever reason, Mack can't seem to get his players up for big games. I've seen this too many times to deny it. I've seen it with every loss in Dallas to OU, and they certainly aren't looking past them. It's baffling. I think entitlement is the likely culprit.



Was Texas overrated?



Absolutely, but not for the reasons that one might think. The talent and depth is real, the fact that we have so many in the NFL proves that. The coaching is the problem. You guys OUTCOACHED and flat out beat a very deep and talented team last night.



Did Texas just have a bad game?



Did we have a bad game? No, we had a nightmare of a game and that was in the form of Taysom Hill, Jamaal Williams, and anyone else who ran the ball for you last night. Once Anae, realized that all he had to do was run the ball after that first long TD run, the game was over. He exposed what has been an overwhelming weakness of our D the last three seasons. We've made average runners look great, last night just showed what great runners will do to you. It's baffling to me how Diaz, no matter what, can't seem to make the adjustments to the D. We should've loaded the box and forced Hill to pass. It might night have changed the outcome, but he didn't even try. Our LB's were lost out there and he coaches the LB's.



You could've laid 50+ on us last night if you wanted.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Hookem-



I think you and I share our assessment of the coaching staff in Austin, with the exception that you give Major Applewhite more credit than I care to.



That said, do you think Mack Brown has the stones to fire Manny Diaz mid-season? After 2012 and now the BYU loss, I'm struggling to find any reason to give Diaz one more day in burnt orange. I think the only reason Mack Brown would keep Diaz through 2013 is so he has a scapegoat to fire in December/January and buy another year at the helm of the Horns.
C
Cougs_Rule
Except a few more losses like this and Mack won't be back. Nor Diaz. Calling Chris Petersen.



Thanks Hookem. Sorry to ask you to write about the pain. We get the team energy when it comes to playing our rival and treating them like just another game. It's why BYU is 0-3 and 1-5 in last six years. BYU did play with heart last night and assaulted Ash maybe more than he usually gets.

Good luck. Beat the Spooners!
H
Hookem
snoscythe wrote:
Hookem-



I think you and I share our assessment of the coaching staff in Austin, with the exception that you give Major Applewhite more credit than I care to.



That said, do you think Mack Brown has the stones to fire Manny Diaz mid-season? After 2012 and now the BYU loss, I'm struggling to find any reason to give Diaz one more day in burnt orange. I think the only reason Mack Brown would keep Diaz through 2013 is so he has a scapegoat to fire in December/January and buy another year at the helm of the Horns.


I think I'm done drinking the kool-aid with Major. The legacy thing has helped him along. I gave him a chance. The entire staff needs to be let go, period. We need new blood. Like I've said before, with the talent and experience that this team has, there are no more excuses for Mack & Co.



Diaz should've been gone last season. He's broken every record in our books for worst defensive outings the last two years. Rumor has it that Diaz had the FIU job last season, and that even some big Texas donor's were helping it along. Mack then turned a 180 and apparently convinced Manny to stay to "fix" things. People are saying that Mack tied his fate to Diaz. Whether that's true, remains to be seen.



What can be seen however, is that the big donor's don't seem to have what it takes to rid themselves of Mack as well as Deloss Dodds. There is apparently a big division among donors right now. The ones keeping him in power are doing so for their own selfish reasons, as in program access. A couple of them were on the sideline last night slapping butts, in fact. Mack has politicked his way into the apparent entrenchment that he is now enjoying.



To answer your question however, I don't think that it's Mack's style to let someone go mid-season, but the scapegoat thing could be a very real possibility, especially if it buys him another year. So it could happen. I think this is why Harsin left last year, he saw the writing on the wall. My beloved program is an absolute mess. It's really sad.
H
Hookem
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Except a few more losses like this and Mack won't be back. Nor Diaz. Calling Chris Petersen.



Thanks Hookem. Sorry to ask you to write about the pain. We get the team energy when it comes to playing our rival and treating them like just another game. It's why BYU is 0-3 and 1-5 in last six years. BYU did play with heart last night and assaulted Ash maybe more than he usually gets.

Good luck. Beat the Spooners!


You guys played with a lot of heart. You deserved the win. Happy for you guys.



Ash, IMO, was they only one on our side who played his heart out. People criticize the kid a lot and he does have his faults as a player, but he's a warrior and a great kid, and that's why I've been pulling for him.
R
runbyu1
Ash did play his heart out, and was deadly with the passes he was able to get off. He got the tar beat out of him and kept coming back and kept coming back...
Advertisement
S
scott715
Hookem, we feel your pain. We felt the same way last week and the last couple of years. Things will turn around in time. We changed our whole Offensive staff after last year.



I went to the Virginia game last week, even though we lost, I still had a good time having met some wonderful people on the trip (the two hour delay contributed to that). Our fans had made a great showing and I knew I was returning to my family and friends.
H
Hookem
Snoscythe,



Chip Brown is apparently reporting that Manny Diaz has been fired. Interesting if true. Mack is fighting for his job right now.



I heard this earlier and whole heartedly agree: "The problem is, is that Diaz isn't the sickness, he's simply a symptom."
B
BoiseBYU
Hookem wrote:
Snoscythe,



Chip Brown is apparently reporting that Manny Diaz has been fired. Interesting if true. Mack is fighting for his job right now.



I heard this earlier and whole heartedly agree: "The problem is, is that Diaz isn't the sickness, he's simply a symptom."


Hooked. Stay in touch. You are always welcome. I wish you well. Brown does not appear to have a handle on his team. I guess the rest of the season will tell.
H
Hookem
Thx, Scott and Boise.



I appreciate everyone on here. Hope you guys tear it up this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Texas' offense wasn't the problem last night, and neither was Ash- The offensive line is the weakness of their offense. I think Applewhite has a great coaching future ahead of him, same as Harsin.



Diaz doesn't deserve a job though. I'd give him the Ol' Miss game, but he's gotta be gone sooner rather than later. Have the new guy recruit a couple great DTs and a few more Safeties. Teach 11 ultra-talented players how to play as a team first, be good teammates, and trust each other. No cowboys doing their own thing.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.