Archived Topic

All Time Coaching Lineup

by Cougarfan87 · 9/5/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
I was just thinking about this but what would your all-time coaching line-up look like (assuming you can only pick from people who have coached at BYU)?



Mine would look something like this:

Head Coach--LaVell Edwards

Offensive Coordinator--Norm Chow/Doug Scovill--sorry, I couldn't decide.

QB Coach--Robbie Bosco

Offensive Line Coach--Roger French

Wide Receivers Coach--Mike Borich

Running Backs Coach--Lance Reynolds

Defensive Coordinator--Bronco Mendenhall

Linebackers Coach--Paul Tidwell

D-Line Coach--Steve Kafusi

Secondary Coach--Nick Howell



I think it is a testament to the current team that I would want the entire defensive coaching team to continue being the defensive staff. And I mean no disrespect to Bronco as the Head Coach. He actually has a better winning percentage than Edwards right now. But Edwards is a legend, as were the offensive coaches that coached with him (Mike Borich being the lone exception from the Crowton years). In a few more years, if Bronco can take BYU to special places, then he would probably become that Head Coach that I would want. He has certainly played consistently tougher teams.
S
SpiffCoug
Lavell would not be nearly as successful today as he was back then. Just my opinion, and it might be blasphemy, but it's how I feel.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
Lavell would not be nearly as successful today as he was back then. Just my opinion, and it might be blasphemy, but it's how I feel.


I think that Lavell in his prime would be better than Mendenhall now. But there is no way to really know that, I guess.
S
scott715
I would choose Scovil for designing the O. How about Mike Holmgren or Mike Leach? Maybe GA don't count.
C
CrimsonCoug
No offense to Roger French, but I'd take Jeff Grimes as O-Line coach. And I'd want Chad Lewis coaching TEs. Just because.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
scott715 wrote:
I would choose Scovil for designing the O. How about Mike Holmgren or Mike Leach? Maybe GA don't count.


Sure; I'll take Mike Leach as a GA.
S
Schmoe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Lavell would not be nearly as successful today as he was back then. Just my opinion, and it might be blasphemy, but it's how I feel.


I disagree. If he'd have done exactly now as he did then, he may not be, but Lavell is the kind of person who wins because they know how to surround themselves with the best, and that always translates to success.
B
Brayden Green
Schmoe wrote:
Lavell would not be nearly as successful today as he was back then. Just my opinion, and it might be blasphemy, but it's how I feel.


I disagree. If he'd have done exactly now as he did then, he may not be, but Lavell is the kind of person who wins because they know how to surround themselves with the best, and that always translates to success.


Right, and he played the best people on the field, regardless of whether or not they had... um... errr.... "character issues" (or more plainly said followed school rules ;) ) He was a football coach first, and a mentor second. Just like DRose is a coach first, and a mentor second. Most successful coaches are like that.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
I would choose Scovil for designing the O. How about Mike Holmgren or Mike Leach? Maybe GA don't count.


IIRC, Holmgren was QB coach. Much better than Bosco.



And - I forget which of Crowton's guys had drug and alcohol problems and is dead. I am thinking it was Borich. Yeah - I checked. Overdose.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Schmoe wrote:
Lavell would not be nearly as successful today as he was back then. Just my opinion, and it might be blasphemy, but it's how I feel.


I disagree. If he'd have done exactly now as he did then, he may not be, but Lavell is the kind of person who wins because they know how to surround themselves with the best, and that always translates to success.

True, but I don't think a head coach can be as hands off as Lavell was.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Lavell would not be nearly as successful today as he was back then. Just my opinion, and it might be blasphemy, but it's how I feel.


I disagree. If he'd have done exactly now as he did then, he may not be, but Lavell is the kind of person who wins because they know how to surround themselves with the best, and that always translates to success.

True, but I don't think a head coach can be as hands off as Lavell was.


Like Bronco is to the offense?
C
Cougarfan87
Cougarbib wrote:
I would choose Scovil for designing the O. How about Mike Holmgren or Mike Leach? Maybe GA don't count.


IIRC, Holmgren was QB coach. Much better than Bosco.



And - I forget which of Crowton's guys had drug and alcohol problems and is dead. I am thinking it was Borich. Yeah - I checked. Overdose.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




I did not know that about Borich. That's too bad. I thought he was an amazing WR coach while he was here.
C
Cougarfan87
It seems to me, many of those amazing coaches we have been talking about either were not LDS or were not active LDS. I don't know if that is Bronco's hiring strategy or not, but he now hires mainly LDS coaches. I can only think of a couple that are not currently LDS. That may be one of the limiting factors right now. It's worth further exploration.
M
Mingjai
Here's my lineup:



Head Coach--LaVell Edwards

Offensive Coordinator--Doug Scovil

QB Coach--Mike Holmgren

Offensive Line Coach--Roger French

Wide Receivers Coach--Ted Tollner

Running Backs Coach--Norm Chow

Defensive Coordinator--Bronco Mendenhall

Linebackers Coach--Fred Whittingham

D-Line Coach--Steve Kafusi

Secondary Coach--Brian Mitchell
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Lavell would not be nearly as successful today as he was back then. Just my opinion, and it might be blasphemy, but it's how I feel.


I disagree. If he'd have done exactly now as he did then, he may not be, but Lavell is the kind of person who wins because they know how to surround themselves with the best, and that always translates to success.

True, but I don't think a head coach can be as hands off as Lavell was.


Like Bronco is to the offense?

No not like that. Did Lavell coach a position group? I honestly don't know. I honestly don't know what he did other than make 4th down decisions. He didn't have a headset to talk to coach in the booth. He was extremely disengaged.



He could not have run a program like he did and be successful. I guess could, and likely would have, adjusted. But the Lavell of '72-00 would not have lasted nearly 30 years.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Mingjai wrote:
Here's my lineup:



Head Coach--LaVell Edwards

Offensive Coordinator--Doug Scovil

QB Coach--Mike Holmgren

Offensive Line Coach--Roger French

Wide Receivers Coach--Ted Tollner

Running Backs Coach--Norm Chow

Defensive Coordinator--Bronco Mendenhall

Linebackers Coach--Fred Whittingham

D-Line Coach--Steve Kafusi

Secondary Coach--Brian Mitchell


Mike Holmgren is a great pick. You could pick him, since he tutored some great QBs in BYU's hay day. Ultimately I went with Bosco since he tutored, not only Detmer and Sarkisian, but made something out of a lot of nothings up until 2000. You couldn't go wrong with either one. I thought about Brian Mitchell as well. He was pretty good at working what he had with. Someone else pointed out Grimes for O-line who was also very good.



Probably the only one, where I feel there is really no debate, is Bronco as the Defensive Coordinator. All I hear about these days is what a tough defensive team BYU has. He has done a phenomenal job there. I can't think of any other D-coordinator that has coached at BYU that would hold a candle to what he has done there.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.