Archived Topic

The one problem no one is talking about

by Brayden Green · 9/4/2013

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
The other thing that no one is talking about because of THills poor accuracy that I have been thinking about: I don't think that THills speed is near what it used to be, even before all the rain came.



He was running for his life most plays, but it looked like he was missing a gear, and was getting caught from behind by Dlineman. That is actually a big deal for me. His decision making or throwing certainly aren't good enough to be the clear starter on the team, so if his athleticism has a big downgrade, then that could be big trouble for us, and is worrysome at the very least.
W
Wolfman
A very astute observation... it would seem his MCL tear from last season has hampered him and it's rather apparent he has lost a step or two... LB's were running him down from behind on Saturday at Virginia... last year before the injury, that would not have happened. This will only hurt his effectiveness at QB because it would seem as though he is now very limited with his abilities, especially now that it's obvious he isn't a passer. I still say start Olsen at QB, drop this silly up-tempo, a play every 10 seconds nonsense and open up the passing game and utilize Hill in the backfield as a triple threat option with Williams/Alisa. If they (Anae and Bronco) continue with things as they are, Texas' D is going to have BYU's O for lunch this weekend. Virginia's D was OK, but Texas' is better and all the Cougs could muster was 16 points on the Cavs AND Texas' O is far superior to anything Virginia had. Right now, I'd take Texas and the 7 points and bet the farm because the Longhorns will win easily by double digits. If I had to predict a score, I'd say something in the ballpark of 34-13.
S
scott715
It could be the brace is slowing him down. But I agree if he lost his spead, Olsen might be the better choice. Perhaps later this year Hill will be back to his old self or be able to lose the brace. I wonder if he thought about taking if off late in the game when the game was on the line.
C
Cougs_Rule
Wondered the same. I bet he feels it and cat wait to get the brace off or has at least tried to do so but doesn't feel the injury is secure enough. Sad reality about running QBs. If you take away their most potent weapon, their less than stellar throwing skills get further exposed. This is why for some reactive post-game posters, it seemed eerily like watching a Riley Nelson led offense, minus Cody Hoffman.

Calm down some of you. Clearly THill has more velocity than RN, and he is probably faster, larger, stronger. But he struggles with accuracy (and a receiver corps with the dropsies--AND An un-fixed Oline. Sound and feel familiar?

So, there were a few who have talked about this. But credit you for dedicating a thread. I think your right. I hope we are wrong.
S
stuckinbig10country
Olsen isn't a "pass-first" QB either. The fact that he was 8-14 at FCS SUU doesn't bode too well either.



If you want a passer, the QB you want to see in the lineup is Steward.
Advertisement
S
scott715
If he can't run well, then he will throw more and should improve. Maybe will this workout well in the end.
C
Cougs_Rule
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Olsen isn't a "pass-first" QB either. The fact that he was 8-14 at FCS SUU doesn't bode too well either.



If you want a passer, the QB you want to see in the lineup is Steward.


Huh? Really? He is not fast enough to be a run-first kind of player. Additionally, he is too good of a passer not to be a passer first. I have not heard he is a run first guy.

Second, as for SUU, far too many other variables to draw inferences from the win record to explain his passing skills.



I will give you some props on Stewart. I think he has solid game skills that surpass his physical skills (ala Detmer--Not like Detmer, but like the Detmer how had more savvy, game, and reads than running or throwing.)
M
Mars
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Olsen isn't a "pass-first" QB either. The fact that he was 8-14 at FCS SUU doesn't bode too well either. If you want a passer, the QB you want to see in the lineup is Steward.

A team features 22 starters on offense and defense. I'm not sure that their final record and the QB's talent level are 100% related to each other. If your defense stinks, and your OL stinks, and your RBs stink (for example), it won't win every game if you start Brett Favre at quarterback.



That being said, it was noticeable in Fall camp that Olsen passes better than Hill, and it was also noticeable that Stewart (with a "t") passes better than Ammon. But Hill is the best runner, and Olsen the 2nd-best. Doesn't matter when injuries are added to the equation though. You can't start a run-first QB who is too hurt to run. It just doesn't work.
L
Lawboy
It usually takes over a year to get full agility and speed back. I don;t expect Taysom to be himself again until 2014.
C
Cougs_Rule
Wow. If there is more of the same this week (PER 79 or whatever it was) there will be calls for Olsen. Hopefully not boos.

Tough, tough test for Bronco. Let's see if, in fact Hill is a step slower and technically still recovering from an injury, if Bronco's "level of education" has increased from last year with Riley. ;-)
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
The other thing that no one is talking about because of THills poor accuracy that I have been thinking about: I don't think that THills speed is near what it used to be, even before all the rain came.



He was running for his life most plays, but it looked like he was missing a gear, and was getting caught from behind by Dlineman. That is actually a big deal for me. His decision making or throwing certainly aren't good enough to be the clear starter on the team, so if his athleticism has a big downgrade, then that could be big trouble for us, and is worrysome at the very least.

Time to rethink your theory. I think VA had a nice advantage because of the wet field and Hill being a first time QB. He did an awesome job of reading the defense and using that speed that he supposedly lost once he hit the secondary. Did a great job of keeping the chains moving with his feet and also didn't get too banged up in the process.



Also, I think UVA's D-line was solid, and thanks to the rain delay was able to stay fresh. That games is played straight through without rain and it's a whole different outcome. But, that's football.
U
Ungoy
Hill's speed was definitely back today. Holy cow, Texas had no answer for his feet. Hill was amazing on the ground. Still needs to improve his passing though.
B
Brayden Green
Hill actually wasn't back up to speed yet. Which is actually really cool if you think about it. He is capable of breaking off TD runs not even fully back. Chalk it up to THIll being a great athlete, but also up to Texas apparently not knowing how to make a simple zone read (?)



Compare this:



http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9648389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



to:



http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8437212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Both 68 yd TD runs, but the latter is much faster.
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Hill actually wasn't back up to speed yet. Which is actually really cool if you think about it. He is capable of breaking off TD runs not even fully back. Chalk it up to THIll being a great athlete, but also up to Texas apparently not knowing how to make a simple zone read (?)



Compare this:



http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9648389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



to:



http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8437212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Both 68 yd TD runs, but the latter is much faster.

Eh, Hill gets off the afterburners a LOT quicker on the UT run when he looks back and sees no one but JD Falslev trying to keep up. Hawaii had a guy chasing him (albeit unsuccessfully) for 90% of the run.
N
nuk13
They both looked fast to me. I guess you could put a stop watch on it but that doesn't tell what happened before he got in the open.



I would sure like to see the team line up for wind sprints. It'd also be fun to have the nations fastest QBs line up against Hill. However he isn't just fast, he's elusive. If he ever gets his passes zeroed in, look out Johnny Football.
Advertisement
P
ProV1
Wolfman wrote:
A very astute observation... it would seem his MCL tear from last season has hampered him and it's rather apparent he has lost a step or two... LB's were running him down from behind on Saturday at Virginia... last year before the injury, that would not have happened. This will only hurt his effectiveness at QB because it would seem as though he is now very limited with his abilities, especially now that it's obvious he isn't a passer. I still say start Olsen at QB, drop this silly up-tempo, a play every 10 seconds nonsense and open up the passing game and utilize Hill in the backfield as a triple threat option with Williams/Alisa. If they (Anae and Bronco) continue with things as they are, Texas' D is going to have BYU's O for lunch this weekend. Virginia's D was OK, but Texas' is better and all the Cougs could muster was 16 points on the Cavs AND Texas' O is far superior to anything Virginia had. Right now, I'd take Texas and the 7 points and bet the farm because the Longhorns will win easily by double digits. If I had to predict a score, I'd say something in the ballpark of 34-13.

Just read this. Hilarious. I love how you predicted with such confidence and knowledge but you were wrong on EVERYTHING. How many acres was your farm?
S
stuckinbig10country
nuk13 wrote:
They both looked fast to me. I guess you could put a stop watch on it but that doesn't tell what happened before he got in the open.



I would sure like to see the team line up for wind sprints. It'd also be fun to have the nations fastest QBs line up against Hill. However he isn't just fast, he's elusive. If he ever gets his passes zeroed in, look out Johnny Football.


I thought he looked even faster on his 2nd TD, and that one wasn't straight line running.
B
BoiseBYU
There actually was one read where he kept but then really had to put on the afterburners to get around the TX defender/tackler and he did so, and it looked like he was very fast....Do you guys remember that play? I did not go for big yards. After he got around the corner he only picked up four or five yards....Still. I thought. He's got his wheels....
F
fdnman
Check the timer...Hawaii was straighter and he didn't let up as fast and it took 7 seconds to go from the 35 to the endzone. Texas was 7-8 seconds.



Basically identical.
J
jonnylingo
He has speed and tree trunks legs. it is hard to tackle someone like hill. arm tackles won't be enough.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.