Archived Topic

OLine vs. Texas

by Lawboy · 9/4/2013

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Mathews is out. Still not back to full health from double hip surgery. He just is not moving quick enough yet, and it showed Saturday. He was a shell of his 2012 form.



LT- Yeck

LG- Vaitai

C- Aletto

RG-undetermined, but expect to see Wesley.

RT- Stringham





All I can say is that the tackle spots scare the hell out of me. Texas is going to bring the house. Yeck got stronger as the game went on vs. Virginia, but he started off extremely poor. And Stringham has struggled to play guard, so let's hope he moves well enough to play tackle.



Taysom is gong to have to run it more, I suspect. The line will struggle to protect him when TExas blitzes, which will be all game long.



PS--Hoff is still not cleared to play. Hope he is by tomorrow.
S
scott715
What do you think about putting Matthews in at Guard? If he needs to rest to heal then so be it. Inside the line he does not have to move side to side as much and he could help push the line forward on running plays.
Y
YNot
I sure hope Hoffman is cleared for Saturday!



Are there any plays in the playbook for Hill to roll out? Would this help any of the oline issues?
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
RG-undetermined, but expect to see Wesley.
Or maybe Wilcox.



-When will Kearsley become a starter?





Also, am I the only one who thinks that Virginia has a stronger DL than Texas does?
M
Mars
scott715 wrote:
What do you think about putting Matthews in at Guard? If he needs to rest to heal then so be it. Inside the line he does not have to move side to side as much and he could help push the line forward on running plays.

2 hurt hips = No push. He shouldn't have played Game 1, and maybe Hoffman should have.
Advertisement
W
Wolfman
YNot wrote:
I sure hope Hoffman is cleared for Saturday!



Are there any plays in the playbook for Hill to roll out? Would this help any of the oline issues?

Hammy's take 10-12 days to heal properly... if Hoffman plays on Saturday, chances are he will re-aggravate it and then be out even longer (2-3 weeks) meaning he won't play in the Utah game... he won't play on Saturday... I am sure the coaches would rather have him available for Utah than Texas and if he does play Saturday and doesn't have any hammy trouble during or after the game, he'll be very lucky. The coaches would be taking a big chance if he plays against the Longhorns.
C
Cougs_Rule
Wolfman wrote:
I sure hope Hoffman is cleared for Saturday!



Are there any plays in the playbook for Hill to roll out? Would this help any of the oline issues?

Hammy's take 10-12 days to heal properly... if Hoffman plays on Saturday, chances are he will re-aggravate it and then be out even longer (2-3 weeks) meaning he won't play in the Utah game... he won't play on Saturday... I am sure the coaches would rather have him available for Utah than Texas and if he does play Saturday and doesn't have any hammy trouble during or after the game, he'll be very lucky. The coaches would be taking a big chance if he plays against the Longhorns.


Agreed about Utah over Tx to relative importance plus time to heal. Except, is the date known regarding the injury? And is it known how bad? There are at least mild, moderate to severe pulls.



And as Ogletree blogged, the tapping of the Oline by a RB routine better modulate and attempt to deceive or Tx is going to bring the chainsaws.
C
Cougs_Rule
Mars wrote:
RG-undetermined, but expect to see Wesley.
Or maybe Wilcox.



-When will Kearsley become a starter?





Also, am I the only one who thinks that Virginia has a stronger DL than Texas does?


Probably. Want to take a poll? I bet 85-95% would vote Tx Dline > UVA.
M
Mars


I just see that Texas was 88th in Rush Defense last year, while Virginia was 44th.





As for Hoffman, he actually got hurt in July, playing softball I believe. His injury was kept under wraps for more than a month.
G
Guest
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
RG-undetermined, but expect to see Wesley.
Or maybe Wilcox.



-When will Kearsley become a starter?





Also, am I the only one who thinks that Virginia has a stronger DL than Texas does?


Probably. Want to take a poll? I bet 85-95% would vote Tx Dline > UVA.


Based on nothing more than brand recognition.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Texas is an EXTREMELY aggressive defense. They blitz a ton and put pressure on their back 3 to cover. If BYU is going to win, they have to exploit that with the right zone reads running it and with better blocking, passing and catching down the field.



Texas will show no respect to BYU in the game simply because BYU did not really earn any with the VA performance. Expect 8 in the box and expect them to bring pressure all game long.



Having said that, their D is filled with crazy athletes, but they lack discipline and in the secondary they lack physical play, especially at corner. Gotta attack those corners. All game long. If we don't, it is a play calling failure. Make them provide safety help, which will open up running lanes.



Basically, we have to attack with the pass to open up the run in this game. Because dives up the middle will not soften these guys up any.
C
Cougs_Rule
Absolutely I would stack the box if I were Diaz. Make BYU prove they can pass. But will Anae be stubborn or adjust?
S
stgeorgefan
Manaese Tonga or any other true FB would really come in handy right now. Maybe we have Kearsley play FB to get an extra big ugly on the field 8)
W
Wolfman
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Absolutely I would stack the box if I were Diaz. Make BYU prove they can pass. But will Anae be stubborn or adjust?

Neither... he'll call just the opposite of what gives BYU the best chance of moving the football. Anae and Bronco don't know what the word 'adjust' means. Sure, they're tweaking the O line right now by bringing in 4 new starters, but that's out of desperation, not adjustment.
S
SpiffCoug
Wolfman wrote:
Absolutely I would stack the box if I were Diaz. Make BYU prove they can pass. But will Anae be stubborn or adjust?

Neither... he'll call just the opposite of what gives BYU the best chance of moving the football. Anae and Bronco don't know what the word 'adjust' means. Sure, they're tweaking the O line right now by bringing in 4 new starters, but that's out of desperation, not adjustment.

So an adjustment isn't really an adjustment even when it's an adjustment?



Sounds like a similar argument that thinks a good team isn't a good team except when it's a good team unless it's not really a good team.



And I highly doubt Anae is purposefully making calls for the express purpose of NOT being BYU win games. I highly doubt he is trying to lose games and thereby his job.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
The disappointment of none of the new JC/freshmen getting an opportunity in the revamped line-up is concerning to me. Did we just go out and recruit 9 stiffs that can't see the field over our terrible OL players from last year.



Our one good returning OL is injured, and showing it. I'm actually kind of glad to hear that Mathews was injured, because he looked so bad against UVa that I was concerned he just forgot how to play football.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.