Archived Topic

Post Game Observations from Charlottesville

by hawkwing · 9/4/2013

Advertisement
G
Guest
Forgive my absence, I was in the DC area for about a week, keeping to an extremely aggressive tourist schedule so I haven't had the opportunity to post until now.



I'd like to share a few of my observations from being on the ground.



The DC area is hot and humid in late August, early September, but the hottest and most humid day was Saturday. Because there is no nearby parking to the Virginia stadium, you'll have a good hike to get there, a minimum of a mile, we were further away.



The UVA stadium is very pretty, it's a horseshoe shape with student seating on the open grass hill. They also know their weather pretty well. They started announcing the lightning storm evacuation while it was still somewhat clear skies. All the UVA fans left the stadium, while the BYU fans loitered the longest. Of course, UVA fans had somewhere to go when they were told to evacuate. BYU fans didn't have as many options, and typically had the furthest parking spaces, not being familiar with the area.



The game had a definite rhythm to it. BYU came close to clicking offensively into rhythm twice, but didn't quite get the time to do it because of the lightning delay and then the later rain/downpour without lightning.



Play calling was frustrating to those in the stands. How many times were we going to run it up the middle? But I think the strategy may have worked if we had played the game straight. The UVA defense was getting gassed and pushed around by our big guys, but the long break helped them regain their breath. It also didn't help that Hill was very inaccurate with his throws, meaning our only chance to get yards was on the ground.



Speaking of Hill, I admit that I was shocked by how inaccurate he was. His passes were all over the place. But even worse than that, his reads were terrible. There were a number of times BYU had wide open receivers across the middle of the field, I don't know if it was viewable on TV or not, but there were guys with no defenders within 10 yards of them, and Hill would throw to the double covered guy on the edge.



Another problem that may not have been visible on TV was Ross Apo's effort level. I was excited for him to get a new start, with a new QB, for him to finally put the level of work in required to be a top WR. But it just doesn't look like he fights for any balls or runs his routes as hard as Hoffman, Ridley, or the others do. I'm not even sure deserves to be 2nd string.



The rain delay was pretty miserable for fans. A good number of us didn't leave the stadium because we had no where to go. The problem was there was no where for us in the stadium either, they wouldn't let fans sit in the bleachers, so we stood crowded in the walkways outside the stadium. All the concessions shut down, the TVs and radio stopped playing, we really didn't have any idea what was going on except when people from home would text us about what they were saying on TV. A lot of people had to stand for 2 hours on the slanted walkway, which is more difficult than you might think.



UVA fans were extremely gracious and friendly. Walking to the game we didn't get any one swearing, yelling or degrading BYU or Mormons. At the game everyone was polite and friendly. During the rain delay was when UVA fans really shined. We had several long conversations with UVA fans and they treated us like we were old friends. I have been to a lot of away games and they were the most friendly I've been around. Notre Dame comes close, they were more outgoing in providing helpful information and welcoming us to the stadium, but UVA fans felt more genuinely friendly.
S
Stirfry
Whew! I was about to call search and rescue for Hawkwing. Maybe a Spiff intervention.



Thanks for the update. I'd love to get to more away games.
M
Mars


Fun trip, or do you wish that you'd saved your money and stayed at home?
S
SpiffCoug
In my mind humidity is more of an advantage than altitude. Humidity is more impressive. You can't escape it. It just sucks the energy right out of you. You sweat more and you sweat just doing nothing.
G
Guest
The game was a drag, not just because we lost, but because physically it was just a miserable experience. It was definitely my least favorite road game I've been to for those reasons alone. All in all though, LadyHawk and I (and wahdee) really enjoyed the sites in DC we were able to take in, so I wouldn't change it.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Sorry we did't get together at the game. I left the stadium and went into the first building there (Rice hall). Brand new, comfy chairs but most important rest rooms and a water fountain.



I had a really good time except for losing but was really tired. I took a nap during the break.



Met a fellow from CB from Colorado Springs and spent the day with him.



Our fans were great and really loud. I think I could hear our section chearing on the reply.



I ended up with a rental car that I had not planned on. If the game didn't get done so late, I could have gone to Monticello.
S
seito107
This is actually my first time posting, but I've been reading for a few months. I live in the DC area and went to the game (of course) along with many others from Northern Virginia.



As this was my first in-person game since Northern Iowa, when I was still a student, I was waaaaaaaay excited for this game. I was completely deflated when they said "if we are able to re-open the stadium..." because I was so excited and was there with my wife and kids.



I actually missed some of the action due to the downpour (thankfully it was just the blocked punt) but was glad to see --and even be just a few rows from the endzone/sideline -- the 90+ yard touchdown drive. That. Was. Awesome.



The interception was disheartening, as well as Hill's accuracy, however, the thing that made the game was when my son, who is 4.5 y/o was sooo excited that he got to see Cosmo and get a picture. As a whole the experience was awesome. The loss stunk, but the atmosphere, the fans (particularly the BYU fans) were great to be around. I can't wait till I save enough soda cans to buy some more tickets to BYU games :) (j/k).



Sorry for the long post...
G
Guest
Thanks for the post seito107! It was fun getting to meet and talk to some of the local Virginia fans. I was told by several UVA fans that they had never seen a team travel as well as BYU did, but it's much easier to do that when there are thousands of BYU alum and or Mormons living all over the country!
W
wahdee
The only thing I observed besides what Hawk said is the lack of our O line to keep UVA out of our backfield. Hill was rushed every down, and its very hard to run the ball when you've got the opposing defense coming thru every running lane. Williams looked good when he could get out in space. We need much better play from the O line if we can hope to win ANY games. D was solid as usual, but when our offense gave the ball up almost every drive in three plays that's asking a lot of the D. I can attest to the vigorous tourist agenda (23 miles of walking), but I too wouldn't take this trip back for anything. Losing sucks always, but the beauty and majesty of our nations capital outweighed the loss. DC is something every American should experience at least once in their lives. :sulk:
G
Guest
http://www.cougarcorner.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=1&image_id=234" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.cougarcorner.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=1&image_id=237" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.cougarcorner.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=1&image_id=236" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.cougarcorner.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=1&image_id=235" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
http://www.cougarcorner.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=1&image_id=234" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

You can't even tell from first glance that it's not an enclosed stadium.
S
stuckinbig10country
Washington DC is one of my least favorite places to be, ever, let alone in August/September. I'm glad someone enjoys that place. I've spent several weeks there, and that was several weeks too long. Anything over 2 days is overkill, in my opinion.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.